Manti T'eo & The Mystery of the Undead Girlfriend

CS85

I was interested in checking out Mike and Mike today since Golic's son(s) plays for the Irish. But Golic was not on. ESPN handled it maturely today. To no surprise, the local guys in my marked did not.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Deadspin article:

June 2012: As Kekua recovers from her injuries, doctors discover she has leukemia. She has a bone-marrow transplant. ("That was just in June," Brian Te'o told the South Bend Tribune in October of 2012. "I remember Manti telling me later she was going to have a bone marrow transplant and, sure enough, that's exactly what happened. From all I knew, she was doing really, really well.")

Your girlfriend is in the hospital, recovering from serious injuries sustained in a car crash *and* undergoing leukemia treatment. It's June, which is pretty much the least-busy time of year for a college football player. You don't go to visit her? Not once?

Oh, and this Te'o one-on-one interview is going to be such a soft-focus softball toss. Bet they get one of the fawning lot from South Bend's NBC affiliate (WNDU - yes, really) to conduct it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After reading a bunch of articles, and hearing a bunch of opinions, one thing that strikes me more than anything....

You're a star LB for the #1 team in the Nation, and you supposedly rely on the Internet for a girlfriend?

I understand the ladies in South Bend aren't the cream of the college crop, but c'mon man. Seriously?

I have to believe that he was in on it. The fact that, before this all broke, he claimed to have met her in person and that she supposedly visited him in Hawaii are the biggest holes in his and Notre Dame's story. Not to mention what Sodboy just pointed out. If he thought she was real he'd have tried to visit her.

Here's something else though. The timing. ND claimes T'eo found out he was dupped on December 6 and that he told his coaches and family on December 26.

That they're only saying something AFTER the story broke on January 16 tells me that there's more to it then what T'eo and Notre Dame are telling us.

In addition to the fact he mentioned he visited her in Hawaii, we're in the middle of the largest technological boom in the history of mankind.

You mean to tell me this girl he met online, who was so stunningly beautiful and such a great person that he chose to establish a relationship with her. Not once did he ever Skype with her? Facetime? Snapchat? Instagram? Hello?

It's nearly impossible, "Catfish" excuse or not.

You mean to tell me this girl he met online, who was so stunningly beautiful and such a great person that he chose to establish a relationship with her. Not once did he ever Skype with her? Facetime? Snapchat? Instagram? Hello?

Hold up—I only know what one of those is, Skype. What's all that other stuff?

(Well obviously I know what "hello" is :P ...but what are those other three?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Gene Wojciechowski is now claiming that he, while preparing for his interview with T'eo, tried to find an obituary for Kekua and couldn't find one. He claims he also couldn't find a record of the car accident she was supposedly in. When he asked T'eo if he could contact her family for a statement he claims Te'o said that the family would prefer not to comment. When he asked T'eo for a picture of her he claimed her family would prefer not to release one.

All of this points to Te'o being in on it.

In addition to the fact he mentioned he visited her in Hawaii, we're in the middle of the largest technological boom in the history of mankind.

It's nearly impossible, "Catfish" excuse or not.

I read that Manti would Skype with family member fairly regularly, so yeah, why wouldn't he do that with the love of his life?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

(Well obviously I know what "hello" is :P ...but what are those other three?)

Facetime is Apple's version of Skype, all it takes is two iPhones, and a 3G connection to video chat. Instagram is an app to post photos online that is insanely popular, and Snapchat is a free chat service app, that alot of people are using, but i've never had any experience with it.

:lol:

My point was, you are insanely naive or or just choosing to be "out of the norm" to be in your early twenties and not have insane amount of technological connections to someone you are in "a relationship with".

Dang, I need to get out this truck more often...I don't be knowing what nothing is no more. How long has all this stuff been out?

(By the way, the fact that I'm going on 31 has nothing to do with any of this...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Gene Wojciechowski is now claiming that he, while preparing for his interview with T'eo, tried to find an obituary for Kekua and couldn't find one. He claims he also couldn't find a record of the car accident she was supposedly in. When he asked T'eo if he could contact her family for a statement he claims Te'o said that the family would prefer not to comment. When he asked T'eo for a picture of her he claimed her family would prefer not to release one.

Listening to Bomani Jones' podcast "The Evening Jones" from last night and he just addressed this point:

"C'mon man. Gene said he talked to Te'o and asked to see a picture of ol' girl, and Te'o said no because her family wouldn't approve. WTF are they Amish? Is her family gonna find out that you took a digital photo of her and they think it's gonna take her soul?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Facetime is the same thing as Skype but for iPhones. Snapchat is kind of like a visual twitter, as best I understand. Instagram is when you see girls taking soft-focused sepia-toned pictures of the pan-Asian fusion food they just ordered, a/k/a the utter scourge of the internet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Listening to Bomani Jones' podcast "The Evening Jones" from last night and he just addressed this point:

"C'mon man. Gene said he talked to Te'o and asked to see a picture of ol' girl, and Te'o said no because her family wouldn't approve. WTF are they Amish? Is her family gonna find out that you took a digital photo of her and they think it's gonna take her soul?"

I'm not familiar with all teachings of the Book of Mormon, so I am not qualified to weigh in on that. Mind you I don't think they had a Luddite streak...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well I get that people talk over the internet and people get attached, but I just find it bizarre that a Heisman candidate linebacker who plays for Notre Dame, and is literally one of the most well known people in sports this year would become so emotionally attached to a person on the internet, I just find that odd. I mean where exactly did he have the time to just connect with this person over the internet constantly?

The whole story is crazy and confusing. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.

Edit: Just found this article about what a teammate thinks about it.

http://www.chatsport...ctor-1-7250779#

Even if Teo was duped at some point, he decided to buy into the publicity for some reason and play the story out.

I'd find it hard to believe that his draft stock would drop because of this, I mean its freaking crazy and all but he is a good football player and its not like he has your normal drug/DUI character problems (although its clear he may have some character problems anyways).

1. You understand how a person could become attached in an online relationship but not Manti Te'o because he's Manti Te'o? Makes sense.

2. His draft stock won't drop? Team's worry about way more than on field performance. That's why some of the best athletes who have trouble with the law fall so low or even out of the draft. If he's in on this, he's got so many issues it's not funny. If he got duped, he's incredibly naive. Either way, he'll be ridiculed by players, fans, some media for the rest of his career and even life. Teams are thinking that over and if you think they aren't you're delusional.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

As far as I know they're not anti-photography.

As long as you're not in the secret mystery temple (which from what pictures I have seen, looks like the lobby at a mid-price chain hotel).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not familiar with all teachings of the Book of Mormon, so I am not qualified to weigh in on that. Mind you I don't think they had a Luddite streak...

LOL, I grew up in that crazy ass religion. What you want to know? It is a fascinating one. Which is why a true Mormon God wouldn't tell a Mormon to go to Catholic school. The end isn't complete until every Catholic is converted or dead.

If T'eo was duped, he is extremely naive for believing all this hokum and waiting for someone else to break the story.

If he was in on it, then he is a dirtbag for profiting from the publicity. He would also be a liar and an all round creep.

EIther way, his personal reputation is ruined and it will cost him a lot of money.

Dang, I need to get out this truck more often...I don't be knowing what nothing is no more. How long has all this stuff been out?

(By the way, the fact that I'm going on 31 has nothing to do with any of this...)

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one.

Archived