Manti T'eo & The Mystery of the Undead Girlfriend

CS85

ESPN's Bob Holtzman is on campus and says no one he's spoken to believes Te'o had anything to do with the. Shocking...

They have to follow the narrative which Swarbrick mapped out during the press conference.

Plus, TMZ has claimed all day that the every athletic department employee was told not to talk at all.

One person connected to the program tells us ... officials have warned staff, if they speak to the media about the scandal without permission from the University, they will "never work for Notre Dame again."

I believe he said he spoke to students. I guess my feelings about this and the cult of ND are summed up by this SBNation piece: Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, and the definition of insanity

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if he's ever met Monica Bisordi.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

All I'm saying is you gotta respect a guy who stays faithful to a girl who isn't real, while following a religion that is cool with multiple wives. I want this guy on my team.

I was thinking somewhat along the same lines. I mean, being a mormon and all, he could still possibly be dating 3 or 4 imaginary girlfriends.

Its funny because a lot of these little jokes have been running out of control on twitter, facebook, radio, etc. the last 2 days. But the FUNNIEST one liner came from Adam Sandler... and its ironically the only funny thing he has said/produced in the last 10 years:

Manti Te'o's girlfriend was about as real as Notre Dame's chance of beating Alabama for the BCS Title.

Come to think of it... it could have been the other way around... Notre Dame's chance of beating Alabama for the BCS Title was about as real as Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

Either way... close-out zinger.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

All I'm saying is you gotta respect a guy who stays faithful to a girl who isn't real, while following a religion that is cool with multiple wives. I want this guy on my team.

Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

So many things wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This is all very confusing.

I want to believe that T'eo met someone online, fell in love with that person, found out that the person wasn't real which subsequently left him feeling embarrassed and like a fool. That would be understandable.

But there are so many holes in his story. So many things that don't add up.

However, I think this theory could be plausible:

T'eo really did meet someone online and fell in love. Found out that person wasn't real and in order to avoid public humiliation, had his fake girlfriend die when his grandma died. Plus, he apparently loves attention so by running with this girlfriend story he got all of the added publicity he wanted.

Still sounds crazy but it could be possible. I've heard of other people doing far worse things to gain public attention.

Of course, he could have made everything up for the publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Why did deadspin beat them to "the facts"? ESPN should be hated on. The TMZ of sports.

If anything, Deadspin is the TMZ of sports.

Yup, ESPN and Deadspin aren't so different. They really aren't. One just has more money but there is an E in ESPN for a reason.

The E stands for "East Coast". :upside:

In the interest of accuracy, the "E" in ESPN doesn't stand for anything. It used to stand for "entertainment", but it doesn't anymore.

Resume ESPN-bashing in 3, 2, 1....

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

This is all very confusing.

I want to believe that T'eo met someone online, fell in love with that person, found out that the person wasn't real which subsequently left him feeling embarrassed and like a fool. That would be understandable.

But there are so many holes in his story. So many things that don't add up.

However, I think this theory could be plausible:

T'eo really did meet someone online and fell in love. Found out that person wasn't real and in order to avoid public humiliation, had his fake girlfriend die when his grandma died. Plus, he apparently loves attention so by running with this girlfriend story he got all of the added publicity he wanted.

Still sounds crazy but it could be possible. I've heard of other people doing far worse things to gain public attention.

Of course, he could have made everything up for the publicity. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

This is about the best spin you could put on it. Maybe he was fooled, figured it out and "killed her off". And then it got so out of control he just could not keep up with and and, having the unique difficulty of being in the public eye, just sort of found himself "stuck". Maybe the added publicity was not even his goal (though he did soak it up).

That's the best case scenario for his reputation: he was fooled and allowed his embarrassment to cloud his judgement.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm late to the conversation but... a new twist?

Blahhhh.

I read another rumor that Te'o is gay and made up the girlfriend in order to avoid suspicion, then dug his hole too deep with lies when people started digging.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

In the interest of accuracy, the "E" in ESPN doesn't stand for anything. It used to stand for "entertainment", but it doesn't anymore.

GOD I hate ever so much the idea that things just somehow stop standing for things. Enough of this Orwellian nonsense where we are to believe that entities are assigned sequences of letters that abbreviate nothing to signify everything once they have somehow transcended their original purpose. It's just a stupid cable TV convention more than anything, for now, god willing.

"FBI doesn't stand for anything anymore. While at one point, yes, our primary focus was to be a federal bureau that investigated things, we at FBI [not the FBI; this is important here] now feel that a series of dynamic paradigm shifts have actuated a reimagining of what we are. We've teamed with Burson-Marsteller to better communicate our changing role in a changing world, with our new slogan FBI: Federal, Beyond Investigations."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why did deadspin beat them to "the facts"? ESPN should be hated on. The TMZ of sports.

If anything, Deadspin is the TMZ of sports.

Yup, ESPN and Deadspin aren't so different. They really aren't. One just has more money but there is an E in ESPN for a reason.

The E stands for "East Coast". :upside:

Resume ESPN-bashing in 3, 2, 1....

you-dont-say.jpg

I'm late to the conversation but... a new twist?

Old news, but still news people don't know what to make of. It's been established that she does not exist (whether Te'o played a part in her creation or not is still up for debate) so who knows. Maybe Mauia's just being an attention whore, using the situation to stir up controversy.

Has anyone else had enough of everyone rushing to proclaim Te'o as a closeted gay man? Um, pretty sure if that was true, he'd have done the absolute opposite of what he did (i.e. make up an outrageous story about his love life and pimp it incessantly to the media).

IMO, he just made up a sob story in order to increase his Heisman chances. Thankfully, he didn't end up winning.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Has anyone else had enough of everyone rushing to proclaim Te'o as a closeted gay man? Um, pretty sure if that was true, he'd have done the absolute opposite of what he did (i.e. make up an outrageous story about his love life and pimp it incessantly to the media).

IMO, he just made up a sob story in order to increase his Heisman chances. Thankfully, he didn't end up winning.

I'm not sure where you're coming from. IF he was a closeted gay man making up a fake girlfriend and constantly talking up his relationship with her seems something he would do. The closeted gay man theory picks up steam because he came from a devout family and went to a school steeped in religious tradition. The chances that a gay man would make up a fake heterosexual love life at Notre Dame are greater then the chances that he would create a fake heterosexual love life elsewhere.

GOD I hate ever so much the idea that things just somehow stop standing for things. Enough of this Orwellian nonsense where we are to believe that entities are assigned sequences of letters that abbreviate nothing to signify everything once they have somehow transcended their original purpose. It's just a stupid cable TV convention more than anything, for now, god willing.

The ECHL is no longer the East Coast Hockey League.

Could be Estelle Chooses Hot Lunch, for all I know.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived