Charlotte Hornets coming back now?

dcameronh

It would be hilarious, if they got the name, and

relocated in 5 years.

Introducing your 2018 SACRAMENTO HORNETS!

You'll have the Sacramento Kings who are the Bobcats via the Hornets 2.0 pretending to be a seventy year old basketball team, the Pelicans who are the Hornets but aren't because

apparently the city of Charlotte couldn't go on without the Hornets name, the Thunder who are the Sonics but aren't, and the Sonics who were the Kings, but aren't anymore because the warm and fuzzies were preferable to reality when it

came to the Seattle fanbase who apparently owns the team.

I can totally see how this is preferable to just

letting teams take their histories with them when they move :rolleyes:

Sacramento Hornets would be interesting considering that is already Sacramento State's mascot.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the outcry in NC for the "Hornets" name is what's behind the whole "Pelicans" rebrand, i.e., there is some agreement among the franchises and/or league that the New Orleans franchise will make the name available. So yeah, the Hornets is a done deal; it's just a question of what year.

Here's what I don't understand, though. What is so special about the Hornets? They were not around that long. They did not have the success of the Magic or Heat (more success than the T-Wolves but that's by default). I just don't quite understand. Also, if the team remains this dismal, will it really matter? Would the Bobcats really not be embraced if they were, um, adequate? I tend to doubt it.

I've said enough in other threads about history swapping, so I just hope they don't try to retroactively say that the "new" Hornets are somehow the same franchise as the "old" Hornets.

Pretty much. All of this nostalgia for a team that constantly under-performed. The Bobcats have been a trainwreck, of course, but I don't think the name, or certain elements of the identity, are all that bad. With a few tweaks the Bobcats could look really great. And if they started winning consistently most Charlotte basketball fans wouldn't think twice about "Bringing Back the Buzz."

If the team isn't going to improve on the court then the change to "Hornets" will only placate the fanbase so much. The short term nostalgic boost won't suddenly bring the fans back in droves if the team doesn't improve.

I don't think the Charlotte Hornets ever underperformed. I think they got just about all the bang for their buck from those mid to late 90s teams, to the teams from last decade. Those teams were pretty good, just not great, and it showed.

Maybe under-performed was the wrong term to use. They were an ok team during the 90s that never made it past round two of the playoffs, yet people talk about them as if they Jordan-era Bulls.

Bobcats made the play-offs ONCE. It's still a big upgrade in my opinion.

Except that the Bobcats are terrible not because of their name but because they're terrible run as a professional basketball organization. Going from Bobcats to Hornets won't change that. The nostalgic kick's a short term fix, if that. Fans will go back to not caring and not showing up if the team doesn't improve (they won't). Conversely fans only want the Hornets back because the Bobcats have routinely been terrible. The "Bring Back the Buzz" campaign wouldn't exist if the team consistently made the playoffs.

Of course there's the little point of order that the Bobcats aren't the Hornets, but apparently facts have no place here.

I would say that the biggest reason for all this name-swapping mess is a lack of patience. Everybody rushes for the instant short-term success to keep their job or get some bonus. Of course the Hornets buzz will be short-living if they don't perform well but the merchandise and ticket sales would rise at the beginning meaning extra $$$.

Except that the Bobcats are terrible not because of their name but because they're terrible run as a professional basketball organization.

No, they're terrible because of their name, too. While changing the name to the Hornets won't make the team competitive or take Jordan out of power, at least it will be replacing the worst team name in American pro sports with a very good one, and replacing horrible logos, color schemes and uniforms with great ones. The team's going to suck for a good long time, but they might as well look good while doing it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I suspect the outcry in NC for the "Hornets" name is what's behind the whole "Pelicans" rebrand, i.e., there is some agreement among the franchises and/or league that the New Orleans franchise will make the name available. So yeah, the Hornets is a done deal; it's just a question of what year.

You'd be wrong. No one outside of Charlotte proper really cares about the name, or about the NBA all that much for that matter, either.

nav-logo.png

You'd be wrong. No one outside of Charlotte proper really cares about the name, or about the NBA all that much for that matter, either.

I strongly disagree with this statement. The Charlotte Hornets were a VERY popular team and brand, and trendsetting as far as the teal and purple explosion across sports in the 90's (whether you're happy that happened or not). Even if they weren't the MOST successful, they were a pretty good team with some decent name talent (alonzo, LJ, muggsy, glen rice). I think the Bobcats have ZERO connection to anyone outside of Charlotte and very very little inside Charlotte. But the Charlotte Hornets name is nostalgic for 90's fans, especially those of us that were following basketball as kids in the 90's. If the option is there, there's no reason not to bring the name back outside of confusing history a little bit. But that will go away in a few years.

I also disagree that no one cares about the NBA anymore. It may not be as popular as it was in 1998, but millions of Americans are still big NBA fans. A recent Harris poll said 7% of American sports fans consider the NBA their favorite sport. Thats not close to the NFL (34%), but if you consider the number of "sports fans" in America thats still a tremendous number of people

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I did not imply that anyone else cares about the name. The Charlotte fanbase caring about the name, however, is probably enough to lead to my above suspicion, i.e., outcry from Charlotte fans; Bobcats wanting to cash in on merchandise and temporary ticket sales boost by getting that name; Bobcats approaching league and/or New Orleans team about them acquiring the name.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Except that the Bobcats are terrible not because of their name but because they're terrible run as a professional basketball organization.

No, they're terrible because of their name, too. While changing the name to the Hornets won't make the team competitive or take Jordan out of power, at least it will be replacing the worst team name in American pro sports with a very good one, and replacing horrible logos, color schemes and uniforms with great ones. The team's going to suck for a good long time, but they might as well look good while doing it.

Old Roman I could not agree more!

spacer.png

I strongly disagree with this statement. The Charlotte Hornets were a VERY popular team and brand, and trendsetting as far as the teal and purple explosion across sports in the 90's (whether you're happy that happened or not).

In this sentence, you made my point for me - the Charlotte Hornets admittedly put the NBA on the map in North (and to an extent South) Carolina. When Shinn started with his antics though, the team essentially lost its North Carolina fanbase outside the immediate vicinity of Charlotte. And since the expansion Bobcats were awarded, they've been unable to reclaim it. Maybe - maybe - if the team makes a run at an NBA title, they'll generate more statewide interest, but trust me, a rebranding to "Charlotte Hornets" isn't going to do that by and of itself.

nav-logo.png

Much like those people in the New Orleans area who are wholeheartedly embracing the Pelicans name, because of the connection, the Hornets is the same. You almost have to be here to understand the connection with the Hornets name.

I think the arguments that if the Bobcats were championship contenders are fair, but the whole "Bring Back the Buzz" movement was founded on an opportunity to have the Hornets name back in Charlotte. The key here is to have a fanbase "embrace" a team, which has NEVER happened since Bob Johnson named the team after himself.

Besides the historical connection, the Hornets depictions are EVERYWHERE around this city. From parks, to neighborhoods, to the badges of the Charlotte Mecklenburg PD.

In the end, it makes sense. The name is available, the name change WILL drive ticket sales in the short term, and merchandise / jersey sales / fan appreciation in the long run. It will certainly surpass the $3 million cost up front...

I strongly disagree with this statement. The Charlotte Hornets were a VERY popular team and brand, and trendsetting as far as the teal and purple explosion across sports in the 90's (whether you're happy that happened or not).

In this sentence, you made my point for me - the Charlotte Hornets admittedly put the NBA on the map in North (and to an extent South) Carolina. When Shinn started with his antics though, the team essentially lost its North Carolina fanbase outside the immediate vicinity of Charlotte. And since the expansion Bobcats were awarded, they've been unable to reclaim it. Maybe - maybe - if the team makes a run at an NBA title, they'll generate more statewide interest, but trust me, a rebranding to "Charlotte Hornets" isn't going to do that by and of itself.

There's just no reason not to do it though. Its not like changing the Jazz or Lakers name to something that makes a little more local sense. The Bobcats don't have a history or a strong connection even in the local area. If the Hornets name is a availble why not rebrand? There's only positive implications from doing so? Are there really that many die-hard Bobcats fans that would abandon the team if they rebrand because of the sour taste the former Hornets' former owner left in their mouths? Or are there many many more Charlotte Hornets fans out there (fans of the team or just fans of the brand/mascot/logo/nostalgia) they may now embrace the team because they never really jumped on the Bobcats bandwagon but will be happy to have their original franchise back (at least in terms of brand name)?

I just don't see any reason not to do it, outside of the never-ending "lets play pretend" argument. This isn't a pet goldfish that you have to accept is dead. You actually CAN bring the team back to life, so why not do it?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

You actually CAN bring the team back to life, so why not do it?

Because it's a lost cause.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I applaud Charlotte rebranding as the Hornets and hope it happens tomorrow. I got excited about NOLA's Pelican rebrand but then I saw their logo which looks like somebody took a :censored: on a paint-by-numbers book.

Charlotte: The NBA needs more teams with unique color combos, like purple and teal. Good move.

NOLA: The NBA needs fewer teams using goddamn Red, White and Blue. Die in a fire.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The "Hornet" name has multiple ties in and around Charlotte...whereas "Bobcat" was some pompous play by the first owner.

Charlotte is just a place where people seem to be really apathetic to professional sports teams, regardless of success.

You'll have the Sacramento Kings who are the Bobcats via the Hornets 2.0 pretending to be a seventy year old basketball team, the Pelicans who are the Hornets but aren't because apparently the city of Charlotte couldn't go on without the Hornets name, the Thunder who are the Sonics but aren't, and the Sonics who were the Kings, but aren't anymore because the warm and fuzzies were preferable to reality when it came to the Seattle fanbase who apparently owns the team.

I can totally see how this is preferable to just letting teams take their histories with them when they move :rolleyes:

The five people in the world who care about any of this will continue to break out in hives, while the rest of us enjoy our hometown sports teams and the world keeps on turning.

I sure hope they do change back. I think the NBA is now realizing how horrible it has been to allow all this movement and loss of a connection between a city and its team.

You're overlooking the fact that Sacramento could potentially be losing a team..

Correct but what I meant was I think the NBA is realizing that team names that are near and dear to a city should not be moved. In the Sacramento case, if the sales goes through, the Kings name should not follow the team up to Seattle but rather be on hiatus until Sacramento gets another team.

I sure hope they do change back. I think the NBA is now realizing how horrible it has been to allow all this movement and loss of a connection between a city and its team.

You're overlooking the fact that Sacramento could potentially be losing a team..

Correct but what I meant was I think the NBA is realizing that team names that are near and dear to a city should not be moved. In the Sacramento case, if the sales goes through, the Kings name should not follow the team up to Seattle but rather be on hiatus until Sacramento gets another team.

*- If

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Sooo...forever? BRILLIANT!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived