Companies that could use a new look

kajeet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to tell my roommate about how infuriating the Lowe's S is. He looked at it for 5 minutes and couldn't see what I saw.

Sigh.

My wife is the same way. My alumni womens basketball home uniform has 2 different number fonts like they tried to fill in with new uniforms and Nike (the brand of the uniform) didnt offer the same font anymore. Drives me crazy sitting there watching the game but when I point it out she is like "meh...I dont even notice"

aargh!

she also claims to not see the difference between and hd channel and its sd version. although I think she just says that to irritate me :-)

My girlfriend does the HD thing too. I come home and I ask her why she is not watching HD and she says they both look the same. I'm paying for HD so I would like for her to at least use it.

What is it with women, my fiancee does the same thing! I think she gets irritated when I switch it to HD on her.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

199px-Hoover_Logosvg_zps8d6b021e.png

The font of "oover" and the overall look of it makes it still look like it's stuck in the '50s.

I actually came to this conclusion this morning before even seeing this thread as I was unloading the vacuum that showed up as a wedding present.

I never really looked at it with interest before, but now I am, I think it's absolutely beautiful. If it was created today, we'd be praising it for being retro yet still modern. The fact that it's vintage and not retro just makes it better. It's 50s without being corny. I'm thinking space shuttles and fast cars and women just getting ready to embark in a decade of sexual exploration the likes of which we may never see again. I think I never thought about it before because I always just instantly think Hoover when I see it, even without reading it. That alone makes it great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

LOL like that frightening Ford concept he had?

I actually think Ford could use a refresh. I've always wanted them to drop the blue oval and use only the script. Right now there are just way too many car companies that use oval emblems.

Amen. I've wanted Ford to drop the blue for a long time. I'd also like the gold gone from the Chevy bowtie. Both logos make their cars look infinitely cheaper.

I think Ford's blue oval is right up there with Coca-Cola's script and Apple's apple, as far as I'm concerned. Chevy's only making money on two vehicles right now (and were recently refused another bailout), so I think the gold's a bit pretentious.

Sigs are for sissies.

dollar.jpg

Where do I begin?

1. Clashing color schemes (Which color is the primary one, anyway?)

2. Times New Roma-in ALL CAPS-for a rental car company?

3. Doesn't really "stand out" enough, especially compared to the several competitors.

bYhYmxh.png

dollar.jpg

Where do I begin?

3. Doesn't really "stand out" enough, especially compared to the several competitors.

I wonder if they really do need an update, because that logo, to me, says "cheap car company"... and that's what it is. Truth in advertising. It reminds me of how generic brands tried forever to copy the look of the name brand (still do, I know), but now there is a subset of generic products at the grocery store that are trying to look as cheap and plain as possible, seemingly to communicate: "Hey, you wanna save money? This stuff is the cheapest. I mean, look at it!"

Walmart-Great-Value.png

guaranteed_value.jpg

Where do I begin?

I wonder if they really do need an update, because that logo, to me, says "cheap car company"... and that's what it is. Truth in advertising. It reminds me of how generic brands tried forever to copy the look of the name brand (still do, I know), but now there is a subset of generic products at the grocery store that are trying to look as cheap and plain as possible, seemingly to communicate: "Hey, you wanna save money? This stuff is the cheapest. I mean, look at it!"

Walmart-Great-Value.png

guaranteed_value.jpg

You're right, but it wasn't just generic store brands that trotted out packaging to appeal to the thrifty. The Great Recesion (technically we're out of it, but it's like a 65 mph wind tropical storm. Not a hurricane, but.....) led even name brands to tone down their packaging. The packaging thread has many examples. In some cases, the packaging of prominent brands began to resemble '60's & '70's retro styling. Whether this was a cyclical retro phase or an attempt to appeal to cost conscious consumers is open to debate.

The Dollar Rent a Car logo is not open to debate....it's a bland 80's/early 90's logo stuck in 2013. It may work for them, but if I walk onto their lot, I'll expect to rent a '94 Saturn for 19.95 a day.

Where do I begin?

Walmart-Great-Value.png

guaranteed_value.jpg

You're right, but it wasn't just generic store brands that trotted out packaging to appeal to the thrifty. The Great Recesion (technically we're out of it, but it's like a 65 mph wind tropical storm. Not a hurricane, but.....) led even name brands to tone down their packaging. The packaging thread has many examples. In some cases, the packaging of prominent brands began to resemble '60's & '70's retro styling. Whether this was a cyclical retro phase or an attempt to appeal to cost conscious consumers is open to debate.

The Dollar Rent a Car logo is not open to debate....it's a bland 80's/early 90's logo stuck in 2013. It may work for them, but if I walk onto their lot, I'll expect to rent a '94 Saturn for 19.95 a day.

I know they may not be the fanciest company, but does any rental car company keep a car for more than 3-4 years? I've never had a car from any company more than two years old.

199px-Hoover_Logosvg_zps8d6b021e.png

The font of "oover" and the overall look of it makes it still look like it's stuck in the '50s.

I actually came to this conclusion this morning before even seeing this thread as I was unloading the vacuum that showed up as a wedding present.

I never really looked at it with interest before, but now I am, I think it's absolutely beautiful. If it was created today, we'd be praising it for being retro yet still modern. The fact that it's vintage and not retro just makes it better. It's 50s without being corny. I'm thinking space shuttles and fast cars and women just getting ready to embark in a decade of sexual exploration the likes of which we may never see again. I think I never thought about it before because I always just instantly think Hoover when I see it, even without reading it. That alone makes it great.

I have to agree with Vet; Hoover's design is downright timeless, one of those logos that could work in the fifties, now, and the 2050s.

GR30a5H.png

dollar.jpg

Where do I begin?

Walmart-Great-Value.png

guaranteed_value.jpg

Here for a while Walmart has been trotting out new packaging to their generic brands.

BI0712-PackagingNEWS-Great-Value-juices-inbody.jpg

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

dollar.jpg

Where do I begin?

Walmart-Great-Value.png

guaranteed_value.jpg

Here for a while Walmart has been trotting out new packaging to their generic brands.

BI0712-PackagingNEWS-Great-Value-juices-inbody.jpg

And the pendulum swings back...

Where do I begin?

And the pendulum swings back...

From a visual perspective it's a huge upgrade. The previous all white with a thin strip of color seemed soulless at best. Now they have a more colorful, vibrant packaging. Which is quite visually pleasing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

blockbusterlogo.jpg

They just need a rebrand, it's not gonna be the same any more than back in the heydays of renting Nintendo games and VHS movies in the 90s.

If they do go for a new look they will be joining this page:

:D

Not so much the logo, but i was never a fan of the font. And that's because Whataburger always does solid work on their ads and promotions, which make the font on the logo look even goofier.

225px-Whataburger_logo.svg.png

That logo makes me want to put on a denim jacket and listen to STYX albums.

FirebirdLogo-1.jpg1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived