New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

So wait.....the team "progressed" the logo, is unveiling "new" uniforms, but decided their dated wordmark didn't need an upgrade?

That's about as sad as having purple & yellow as your primary team colors.

Their wordmark needed no updating. It's a classic. You gonna ask the Giants or Packrs to do the same?

No, because the Packers aren't changing their logo or uniforms and the Giants predominately use the "ny" logo, which they started using...when they last change their logo & uniforms. You missed the point.

So wait.....the team "progressed" the logo, is unveiling "new" uniforms, but decided their dated wordmark didn't need an upgrade?

Their wordmark needed no updating. It's a classic. You gonna ask the Giants or Packrs to do the same?

Yeah, maybe they should add the color "volt", Volt. :rolleyes: That would be kewl!

You know what, it would actually be an upgrade ;)

I don't mind that wordmark. Mainly because I grew up with this horrible thing.

Minnesota_Vikings_wordmark_(1982_-_2003).png

And that is atrocious. Still, my point is that it's like painting your house a new color, putting on a new roof, putting in new windows, and then leaving the cruddy looking front porch with broken floorboards and chipping paint untouched.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, maybe they should add the color "volt", Volt. :rolleyes: That would be kewl!

7-Miami-Heat-Nba-Storm-Gray-Lime-Purple-For-Lebron-9-Volt-Custom-Fitted-New-Era-59fifty-5950-1.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-600x340.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-4-600x340.jpgimg_0111.jpg

Hey - you're on to something. It WOULD have been an upgrade :welcome:

So the Vikes sent their equipment guy to get the purple jerseys. They changed on the sideline (has to be the only time in NFL history) and went with the grape Tootsie Pop look for the rest of the game.

What kills me is that the Vikings were so embarrassed by the Grape Invaders look that day, but 40 years later they chose to do the same thing on purpose.

purple.jpg

nike-dunk-low-purple-volt-600x340.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-4-600x340.jpgimg_0111.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth. Thank you for reminding us what utter crap Nike is capable of.

So the Vikes sent their equipment guy to get the purple jerseys. They changed on the sideline (has to be the only time in NFL history) and went with the grape Tootsie Pop look for the rest of the game.

What kills me is that the Vikings were so embarrassed by the Grape Invaders look that day, but 40 years later they chose to do the same thing on purpose.

purple.jpg

I know I am in the minority, but I loved the purple pants on the road and at home.

nike-dunk-low-purple-volt-600x340.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-4-600x340.jpgimg_0111.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth. Thank you for reminding us what utter crap Nike is capable of.

I completely agree and I still cannot believe I thought the Volt Oregon did was good initially.

spacer.png

No, because the Packers aren't changing their logo or uniforms and the Giants predominately use the "ny" logo, which they started using...when they last change their logo & uniforms. You missed the point.

And that is atrocious. Still, my point is that it's like painting your house a new color, putting on a new roof, putting in new windows, and then leaving the cruddy looking front porch with broken floorboards and chipping paint untouched.

Except in this case the porch still looks pretty great after all these years, and will most likely perfectly fit in with all of the changes being made.

I mean go ahead and not like the script, but at least understand why it's sticking around...

purple.jpg

I'm usually never a fan of color-on-color, but because I dislike the Vikings' colors and this specific uniform design as it's normally worn, I see this as an upgrade, albeit minor. I really hope they nailed this upcoming update.

Except in this case the porch still looks pretty great after all these years, and will most likely perfectly fit in with all of the changes being made.

I mean go ahead and not like the script, but at least understand why it's sticking around...

Completely subjective statement. Again, you're missing the point; update the logo, update the uniform...update the wordmark. I understand that it was the original team wordmark for over 20 years, but the uniforms the team has worn since '06 is now also directly connected to it.

I just think if you're "rebranding", then do it all, but I understand the historic significance of the wordmark, even if I personally don't think it's that great.

purple.jpg

I know I am in the minority, but I loved the purple pants on the road and at home.

I completely agree and I still cannot believe I thought the Volt Oregon did was good initially.

This is just where people have different opinions; I think purple/volt is a better combination than purple/yellow. It has edge, it's modern, it's cleaner, and it's bold. I'm not at all intimidated by a team calling itself the Vikings that are wearing....purple. Again, my subjective taste, but I think if the team was really ever going to rebrand, they'd make purple a secondary or tertiary color instead of the dominate color of the franchise. I know there's history dating back to the start of the franchise, but it can't stay '61 forever, and change is sometimes a good thing.

^ Purple is what I like to call an "unfortunate color" for sports teams. Its unique and every league is going to have a team or two that has to use it but in the end the possibilities are limited. I think orange is another unfortunate color. I think the Vikings can only do so much in this case. As much as I like the idea of purple pants, I think its probably best that they minimize the usage of it.

Completely subjective statement. Again, you're missing the point; update the logo, update the uniform...update the wordmark. I understand that it was the original team wordmark for over 20 years, but the uniforms the team has worn since '06 is now also directly connected to it.

I just think if you're "rebranding", then do it all, but I understand the historic significance of the wordmark, even if I personally don't think it's that great.

Technically, they DID update the wordmark. It was previously either white or purple with a gold outline. Now it's just gold or (presumably) purple with no outline. Considering how minor the update was to the logo, and the presumed retro-ish uniform, that seems to be an appropriate update to the wordmak.

spacer.png

Touche, burgundy. If they're minimizing white and indeed are going for a retro/throwback feel, then perhaps a plainer, simpler overall design is coming that will make sense for keeping the wordmark. I actually think this the best way for them to go; especially if they go with grey face masks ;)

Is there a way to upload image files to this community, or do they have to be uploaded elsewhere and linked into a post? I did a VERY quick concept or two of what I'd do with the Vikings uniforms I'd like to post, and I'm only asking because there's a little button in the toolbar here labeled "My Media" but I have not been able to figure out how to upload to that "area"...

Is there a way to upload image files to this community, or do they have to be uploaded elsewhere and linked into a post? I did a VERY quick concept or two of what I'd do with the Vikings uniforms I'd like to post, and I'm only asking because there's a little button in the toolbar here labeled "My Media" but I have not been able to figure out how to upload to that "area"...

You have to put them on a site like photobucket and load the image via the URL onto the page. Just make sure you place all concepts in the "Concepts" section.

spacer.png

Since we're talking about a simpler, "retro" style throwback, and since grey came into the conversation, I quickly mocked up a picture of Victor Cruz as a Viking in a uniform that could fall along those lines. Just food for thought. Seeing as how others have posted their mock-ups of what they feel the new Vikings uniforms could look like in this thread, nuordr, I don't believe it's necessary to muck up the Concepts forum with my one little post, since we're discussing new Vikings uniforms, and that is the name of this thread, and that there are plenty "My Vikings Concept" threads in the Graveyard.

VikingsConcept1.jpg

Vikingsconcept2.jpg

I know this is not a Nike uniform, so the jersey cut, etc. will be different, but it's just to get the simple, clean, utilitarian look over grey that I wanted to get across. To me, this says, "Viking" as much as purple & yellow allow.

7-Miami-Heat-Nba-Storm-Gray-Lime-Purple-For-Lebron-9-Volt-Custom-Fitted-New-Era-59fifty-5950-1.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-600x340.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-4-600x340.jpg

That colour scheme's fantastic.....if the Vikings were trying to kill the Batman.

This is just where people have different opinions; I think purple/volt is a better combination than purple/yellow. It has edge, it's modern, it's cleaner, and it's bold.

Buzz words ahoy! Objectively speaking how does purple/volt have more of an "edge" then purple/yellow? If you like the former better then the latter that's all well and good, but let's not make stuff up.

I'm not at all intimidated by a team calling itself the Vikings that are wearing....purple.

Why not? What's wrong with purple? It was, after all, the colour of the Roman emperors. You know. The guys who conquered most of the known world at the time. The idea that purple is a soft or otherwise unmanly doesn't hold up.

7-Miami-Heat-Nba-Storm-Gray-Lime-Purple-For-Lebron-9-Volt-Custom-Fitted-New-Era-59fifty-5950-1.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-600x340.jpgnike-dunk-low-purple-volt-4-600x340.jpg

That colour scheme's fantastic.....if the Vikings were trying to kill the Batman.

This is just where people have different opinions; I think purple/volt is a better combination than purple/yellow. It has edge, it's modern, it's cleaner, and it's bold.

Buzz words ahoy! Objectively speaking how does purple/volt have more of an "edge" then purple/yellow? If you like the former better then the latter that's all well and good, but let's not make stuff up.

Well assuming he means the volt and purple is more edgy then it would make perfect sense. Using a rarely seen color like "volt" as opposed to yellow would be daring, provocative (look at the reaction around here), potentially trend setting... aka words that define edgy.

90758391980.gif

Why is nobody else reading into the number font they used? Has to be something...right? Right?

was just going to post the same thing

Boy, I hope not. I've never seen italicized numbers on a jersey really work.

ask the steelers about that

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived