Rank the recent NFL updates

WideRight

Let's lump together the last 3 years or so. Who has had the best update and who the worst?

The candidates are: Buffalo ('11), Seattle ('12), Jacksonville ('13), Miami ('13) and Minnesota ('13)

Here are mine:

5. Jacksonville: The uni's are better than the unitard look of recent years and the gold-less most recents. but that helmet,

Mother of all that is holy, that helmet!!

4. Miami: The logo is just not as cool as the one they dumped. The numbers are too cartoony and the lack of orange is

really inexplicable. Aqua & Orange defines the Dolphins and Miami for so many people. Not well done at all.

3. Seattle: I am not a fan of the overused feather pattern. A little is fine, but too much. I also think they went too far with the

neon green, and I really liked the color combo they gave up, with the two-tones of rainy, cloudy Seattle blue.

2. Minnesota: A nice simplification and a good move away from an overdesigned modern take over the past few years.

The only knocks I have on it is that I find matte (or satin) helmets to be annoying when compared to glossier

or more metallic ones, I hate the airhole in the helmet cutting through the horn, and I really liked the concept

that someone made of an old Northwestern stripe with one area white and the other gold so much, that I cannot

like the simpler 2 stripe pattern as much. But overall a very respectable output.

1. Buffalo: Putting aside the ludicrous toilet seat collar that Nike added, these are amazing modernizations of a classic Bills look.

If you go back and look at the 2011 pre-Nike Fubar designs, they are great. Add the 2012 blue pants and you have

a truly well-conceived modern look for the Bills. From the subtle widening of the helmet stripe to the reduced but

still visible use of navy, this uniform is solid.

Well, I really can't pick a fav (or worst) because most have an element I HATE so I'll grade the parts in no particular order

Seahawks - Helmet B, Jersey C (gray is a waste, hate the shoulder numbers have no outline color), Pants C (The stripe pattern is the same, but on some pants, the negative space needs an additional team color), socks C (get rid of the leotard look).

Bills - Helmet F (the gray facemask earns them an automatic F. Gray is nowhere else from head to toe. Why not use yellow?), Jerseys A (nice update to modern classic, adds new age elements like the logo above nameplate in a non-cluttered way), Pants A (nice additions) socks A or C (C if used as leotards).

Vikings Helmet D (the black mask is about as useful as gray in this situation. At least the Lions use black---although uncalled for---in the striping), Jerseys D (lack of color outline, stupid font, traded some dumb elements for different dumb elements), Pants A (nice, clean) Socks A or C (see Buffalo)

Jaguars Helmet F (it isn't cool), Jerseys B (I like them, but hate the chest patch, teal jersey should have some white numerals. It will look bad if they choose teal over white) Pants A (nice, solid look for their team identity), Socks see above two teams

Dolphins Helmet B (modern logo/look, but fell into Nike's white helmet/white mask trap), Jerseys A (good clean/modern look, wish they'd use 3 color names to match numerals---how do they pick which two colors to use?) Pants B (lack of aqua/teal is a downer) Socks A (nothing special)

My .02...

The NFL needs to mandate the colored cleats. They are nice uses of modern tech and go really well with all the uniforms, but they look out of place when 5 starters wear them and the rest of the team is in black/white.

KISSwall09.jpg

5. Jacksonville: The pants are nice, the logos and number font are nice, and the jerseys are nice (minus the sleeves), but other than that, I hate them.

4. Seattle: Its not a bad design, but there are a lot of little things Im not a fan of. The wordmark, the color balance of the white/grey jerseys, the way the swoosh is boxed in on the sleeves, and the lack of tv number outlines are a few that come to mind. And I still dont like how the Seahawk connects in the back.

3. Dolphins: I really like the logo, and the design is pretty much flawless, but the number font is goofy, and I think they could've added a little orange to the stripe.

2. Buffalo: After watching my team a lot, I've found a lot things I dont like about this set. 1) the grey facemask. If it were blue it would make the white-white-blue set look a whole lot better. 2) the stripes on the white jersey. They should've been red. 3) the socks with the blue pants. Ugh.

1. Minnesota: I love absolutely about this, except for the number font. I'm not sold on them, and it's a litle weird that there are 2 different 2's on the same uniform.

spacer.png

This seems like a no brainer, but I'll go...

5. Jacksonville - I'll be interested to hear the reasoning of anyone ranks them any higher than 4th on this list.

4. Seattle - It's a testament to just how horrific the Jags uniform (and helmet in particular) is that anything manages to fall lower than the Seahawks' silly-suit. If the Seahawks' would burn their navy pants they might climb to #3 on my list. Might... I'd have to consider it, anyway.

3. Miami. - Not horrible, but a weird combination of bland and twee. I thought replacing navy with a slightler lighter blue would be an upgrade,but I think the reduced contrast against the orange has made that orange less noticeable, which is bad. The replicas look like Walmart T-Shirt jerseys. Just all-around meh.

2. Buffalo - I'm mostly a fan, but the navy doesn't really help the design... not that there wouldn't be a few decent ways to incorporate a small amount of navy into the royal blue scheme... I think there is, I just don't think the Bills did it. I'm by no means the biggest Nike fan around, but if given the specific task of updating the Bills' classic look, I think they would've done a better job than RBK did. Still, a solid set, overall.

1. Minnesota - Sure, it's possible I'm being biased... hard to say exactly what I'd feel without the built in affection I have for the horned helmet and the purple and gold, but I do objectively feel they did a really nice job. It isn't what I was hoping for, or what I would've done, and I can think of a few small tweaks that would help quite a bit, but I'm overall pretty happy.

1. Vikings

2. Miami

3. Seahawks

4. Jaguars

5. Bills

Nothing good about the Bills design. Might be better than the previous set, but that's not saying much. Just boring and generic. Even if the Jaguars are over-designed at least there was an attempt.

1- Bills, B : not perfect. i dont like the application of sleeve stripes or toilet seat collar (original design was good) but it's a beautiful and timeless uni outside of that.

2. - Vikings, B - : the overall idea is great. the numbers really bring it down though. and it's only that number font that i think needs to go, or at least the spurs on it. i think they missed with no stripes on the socks too, but this is a really good uni

3. Jaguars, D + : its the helmet. that's the only thing that really bothers me. the fill-in-the-blank sleeves and black on teal numbers are bad, but the rest of the uniform is pretty good. the colors are used to fullest potential i think. if they had gone with a solid color helmet, i would give it a C

4. Dolphins, D + : yesterday i thought the Dolphins were better than JAX but after a closer inspection of one of the ugliest number fonts i've ever seen and just a really unattractive stripe on the helmet and pants, im putting them at #4. i dont mind the limited use of orange, the whole color palette is very nice and is the only thing worth saving about this

5. Seahawks, D -: beautiful color palette and one of the best logos in the league. the rest is unbearable to look at. none of the elements any each piece match the other. they have this cool native american pattern they use but it's so different in each application it falls apart and becomes meaningless

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Buffalo Bills... I could do without the navy and the helmet stripe getting wider as it goes to the back of the helmet, but it's still a beautiful football uniform.

Minnesota Vikings... Very much in the same spirit as the Bills', a modern take on a classic design. I don't mind the stripes that curve up on the sleeves at all, but the number font is to much. Between that and the Bills' continued use of navy, the Vikings' numbers are the bigger sin in my opinion.

Miami Dolphins... Maybe I'm just happy to see something so reserved after the Jaguars' mess, but these aren't that bad. The logo is still a huge downgrade, but everything else seems non-offensive. As much as I dislike the logo, though, it needs to be bigger the sleeves.

Seattle Seahawks... The whole thing is disjointed. Each part of any given uniform combination uses the same colour scheme but in ways that are jarringly different from the other two. The off-centre wordmark is just stupid and the jersey design just isn't my cup of tea. The giant patch of colour to frame the Nike swoosh is an "inspired" touch. Finally I find the repeat of that feather pattern in the numbers and down the centre of the helmet to be pointless. Why have it if you can't even tell it's there unless it's right there in front of you?

Jacksonville Jagurs... The jerseys are good enough. The pants, they're not THAT bad. The helmet... is the worst helmet in the history of American/Canadian football. It's atrocious, and it's a giant, blinding beacon of incompetence and poor design that outshines the more competently designed rest of the uniform. I hope the feedback on these things is so poor they switch to a simple black helmet at the first possible opportunity. Also the Jags loose points for their JAGS shield, which cannot be used in the market they're currently trying to make headway into. Nice forward thinking there, guys.

1. Bills

2. Vikings

3. Dolphins

4. Seattle

5. Jags

I would say I like the Vikes' uniform better than the Bills', but I give the Bills some points because their total improvement is so great, i.e., they were in such bad need of an upgrade. It was definitely the biggest upgrade of the bunch.

The Vikes is an upgrade with some misses.

I love the Dolphins logo update, but the stormtrooper uniforms and the lack of use of orange are big disappointments

I dislike the Seahawks uniform. I hate the little swoosh panel on the sleeves and the numbers and the whole "nikeization", but...

...that Jags helmet. ugh.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1. Seahawks: the uniforms look amazing on TV, the helmet hawk finally connects in the back, and they used just enough of that neon green for it to really pop.

2. Vikings: love the Nordic influence on the design, the helmet looks good. My one complaint is that the stripes on the white pants don't match the stripes on the white jersey's sleeves.

3. Bills: okay, but unspectacular. Getting rid of the red helmet was a big mistake. They need to wear the blue pants more on the road. Glad they finally fixed those collars.

4. Jaguars: I want to rank this above the Bills, but the black jersey and the helmet really bring this one down. If they had kept the teal-flaked helmet and made the teal jersey their primary home look, they'd have a top ten uniform set in the league.

5. Dolphins: great logo update ruined by the most oppressively bland uniforms in football, as well as the needless deemphasizing of orange. The stormtrooper look is soooooo boring, but that's what they're going to be wearing damn near every game even though the teal jerseys and pants are slightly less dull.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1. Bills. A fantastic update of a classic look. Hate the Nikelace collar, but looks like they've fixed that.

2. Vikings. See #1, without the collar problem. Minus a half-point for the numbers and purple socks with purple pants.

3. Dolphins. I still hate the logo, but other than downplaying orange I rather like the new uniforms.

4. Seahawks. I wasn't a huge fan of the prior set, but in retrospect it was gorgeous.

5. Jaguars. Can't wait until they fix that helmet.

1. Vikings: Nice update of the classic unis. The number font isn't great, but it's not terrible.

2. Bills: See my first point for Vikings. If they got proper white socks to wear with the blue pants and went to a red helmet, they'd be perfect.

3. Jags: Really cool modern uniform. Love the use of gold and that teal still plays a major role. The helmet is alright, too.

4. Seahawks: See my first point for the Jags. I hate how they wear the mono blue all the time. I think they should adopt a WOLF GREY helmet and make the WOLF GREY pants the primary option for the home and roads. That would make it a solid set.

5. Dolphins: What a letdown. I prefer the old logos and unis over what they came out with. Massive downgrade.

Overall, all the changes are upgrades except for the Dolphins.

1. Vikings - They tried to do a little too much with the sleeve stripes and numbers, but it still looks great. Really hope they wear the purple pants a lot on the road. Purple facemask would have been better, but the black isn't horrible.

2. Bills - Should have gone with a blue facemask. That and the lack of color on the road when they wear white pants is what brings this below the Vikings. All white works for some teams, I don't think the Bills are one of those.

3. Dolphins - Big jump for me between the top two and bottom three. The Dolphins could have easily made the break off point after the top three, but they stripped down their uniforms way too much. Just adding sleeve stripes and using orange more would have made a big difference.

4. Seahawks - There are a lot of things I like individually about this set, but they didn't put it together the right way. It looks like every piece was designed by itself and they don't fit together. The inconsistency between how much the green is used is the worst part.

5. Jaguars - They'd be above the Seahawks with a plain black helmet or the teal flake. That helmet is just awful though. Uniforms were a lot better than I had expected.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

#5 - Seattle

Too many mismatching elements, and to top it all off, the new colors don't work together as well.

#4 - Jacksonville

Just like Seattle, too many mismatching elements. Unlike Seattle, they nailed the color scheme. Bringing gold back was a great choice. Let's not even mention that thing they call a helmet.

#3 - Buffalo

It's a nice jersey, but personally, I never cared much for the Bills, and I liked their previous jersey colors (but not the jersey itself). It's not bad by any means, but it's not good enough for me to rank it above teams with better color schemes.

#2 - Miami

It's a cool, clean, and sleek look, and the brighter colors add a bit of fun into the mix. Exactly what I think of when I think of dolphins.

#1 - Minnesota

Nice. Just......nice. A classic look with modern elements and wonderful colors, which is exactly what I like to see in football jerseys.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived