NBA C Jason Collins comes out as gay

CS85

Huge respect for Jason Collins. Coming out during your career takes a hell of a lot of courage. I may not agree with who he's attracted to, but it shouldn't matter as long as he plays well on the court.

It shouldn't matter period.

No, it shouldn't. But it does.

If we have more people with his courage, it might not matter someday soon, though.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'll probably get bashed for this but I don't think anything Chris said is wrong. As a fellow Christian, I'm glad he is pointing out his beliefs on television. I also believe he did it in a very good way, he didn't bash Collins or anything like that, he just says that he disagrees with the lifestyle. I may not agree with homosexuality but I am not gonna judge any person on that because it really isn't my place to, that is God's judgement so that is how I view it. I think it's good for Chris to stand up for his beliefs though just like most people support Jason Collins for his. I'm not trying to say Collins is wrong or bash him for being gay but I, like Chris, would say that I disagree with it just based on my beliefs.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I'll probably get bashed for this but I don't think anything Chris said is wrong. As a fellow Christian, I'm glad he is pointing out his beliefs on television. I also believe he did it in a very good way, he didn't bash Collins or anything like that, he just says that he disagrees with the lifestyle. I may not agree with homosexuality but I am not gonna judge any person on that because it really isn't my place to, that is God's judgement so that is how I view it. I think its good for Chris to stand up for his beliefs though just like most people support Jason Collins for his. I'm not trying to say Collins is wrong or bash him for being gay but I, like Chris, would say that I disagree with it just based on my beliefs.

I'm jumping in here with bigmike. Chris expressed HIS views on television. This is no different than Collins expressing his to SI. Tolerance should be universal. If Collins is applauded for voicing his views to SI, then Chris should be applauded for not giving in to Big Brother and expressing his. Chris never said that being gay was wrong, he said he BELIEVED it to be wrong. Kudos to Chris for laying his job on the line for his beliefs. I just hope it works out better than the last time a sports reporter did the same thing. http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/11/16/broadcaster-firing-tests-religious-freedom-free-speech/

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Exactly. Many people on this very board fall under the ironic "intolerant" label they so eagerly throw on all who disagree. As I said before, I'm Christian myself and fully disagree with a gay lifestyle. I also disagree with cheating on taxes. Both, I believe, are things that are chosen rather than "born that way".

Again though, if Jason Collins wants to be openly gay, it really doesn't bother me. Let others live the lifestyle they want to as well.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

The Bible Brunch Club have discovered a new way to claim victimhood on an issue that has absolutely no direct affect on them!

Tell me more about how much you "believe in" the Bible.

I found the comments that I knew I would find. You are bigoted, ignorant, and uneducated.

That stupid attitude of "We Christians are tired of being called bigoted, ignorant, and uneducated for merely disagreeing with homosexuality."

Choke on it.

The Bible Brunch Club have discovered a new way to claim victimhood on an issue that has absolutely no direct affect on them!

I found the comments that I knew I would find. You are bigoted, ignorant, and uneducated.

That stupid attitude of "We Christians are tired of being called bigoted, ignorant, and uneducated for merely disagreeing with homosexuality."

Choke on it.

Name calling - check

Personal attacks - check

Refusing side of argument they don't agree with - check

If I am these things, how are you different

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Choke on it.

Name calling - check

Personal attacks - check

Don't listen to people like that. They aren't helping.

Being gay isn't a choice, but if you choose to not believe it I will not call you names because of it. You're still accepting of it, in a way, and that's all that really matters.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'm happy that the first athlete came out of the closet on his own and wasn't dragged out kicking and screaming. Best of luck to Jason Collins. But what is this "gay lifestyle" that people disagree with? As far as I can tell, the gay lifestyle is awfully similar to the straight lifestyle: wake up, go to work or school, come home, eat dinner, spend time with family and friends, maybe hit the town on weekends or something. They watch or play sports, might play some video games, see some movies, read some books. Just like straight people, gay people are students, teachers, athletes, police officers, writers, actors, truck drivers, politicians, whatever. Gay people and straight people do the same things, except gay people are attracted to people of the same gender, and straight people are attracted to people of the opposite gender. That's such a small part of someone's lifestyle. Are there flamboyant, feminine gay men? Of course. But as we see with Collins and countless other gay men, they are many, many more who act just like straight men, except for their sex partners.

Choke on it.

Name calling - check

Personal attacks - check

Don't listen to people like that. They aren't helping.

Being gay isn't a choice, but if you choose to not believe it I will not call you names because of it. You're still accepting of it, in a way, and that's all that really matters.

Heh, it's more me refusing to worry about something that isn't mine to try to accept or condemn. Heck, one of my favorite actors is Jim Parsons, who is gay, because I recognize the talent before his lifestyle. Same with Collins, though he really isn't that great a player

I don't know if we will ever know if Collins did this for publicity reasons, personal reasons or other reason, but I knew it would happen eventually.

I have no issue with ones orientation, but I'm not going to pretend I understand it all as it's not my lifestyle. I have a lot to say about gay rights and equality, and I while can understand the beliefs of those against the lifestyle, I cannot understand at this time anyone against equality. But this is for another discussion/thread that may have been created or may never be created because it might fuel the fire on a sensitive issue.

Broussard is an ass. Who appointed him arbiter of who's a Christian and who isn't?

It may shock him to learn that not all Christian denominations have a problem with the existence of gay people. You can be both gay and a Christian - just ask Jim Collins.

According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. If these Christian denominations aren't against homosexuality, they aren't doing a good enough job of letting everyone know.

Respect to Collins. I don't think I could imagine how hard it must have been for him.

According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin. If these Christian denominations aren't against homosexuality, they aren't doing a good enough job of letting everyone know.

Respect to Collins. I don't think I could imagine how hard it must have been for him.

According to a 2,000-year old book written by people who thought the world was flat, the sun revolved around the Earth, and that a remedy for mental illness was drilling holes in the head of the sufferer so that the demons could escape, homosexuality is a sin. As was a lot of other stuff today's people read, scoff at the idiocy of, and then proceed to ignore.

nav-logo.png

I'll probably get bashed for this but I don't think anything Chris said is wrong. As a fellow Christian, I'm glad he is pointing out his beliefs on television. I also believe he did it in a very good way, he didn't bash Collins or anything like that, he just says that he disagrees with the lifestyle. I may not agree with homosexuality but I am not gonna judge any person on that because it really isn't my place to, that is God's judgement so that is how I view it. I think it's good for Chris to stand up for his beliefs though just like most people support Jason Collins for his. I'm not trying to say Collins is wrong or bash him for being gay but I, like Chris, would say that I disagree with it just based on my beliefs.

Here's the thing...when you use the word lifestyle it implies a choice is being made. The same with Mike Wallace's comments. I believe the large majority (if not all) gay people are born with their sexual preference. How can anybody hold that against them? There's nothing to agree or disagree with any more than someone could say they disagree with another person's blue eyes.

Collins is courageous for coming out. I wish him well. Nobody has to endorse or condemn, agree or disagree, blah blah. Live and let live.

What I find blindingly ironic is some of the comments in here about the South* (yeah, facetious, right) and so on where some people display the exact same bigotry they decry from their high horses. Kind of like when the Atlanta paper ran a story about the '08 Democratic primary (Hillary vs. Obama). The article told how black women faced a tough choice: whether to vote for Hillary because she's a woman or Obama because he's black. They wrote it with a straight face, somehow ignoring that those voters were making choices based on the same racial and gender prejudices Clinton and Obama overcame to get where they are today. Unbelievable.

* Watch 42. It may redraw the map for you in terms of bigotry. Even today it is by no means limited to any one region of the country.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's the thing...when you use the word lifestyle it implies a choice is being made.

For many people (not necessarily our friends here), that's exactly the point.

But what is the "gay lifestyle"? As cmm noted above, it's almost exactly the same as the lifestyle we all live.

Jim Coilins doesn't live "the gay lifestyle", he lives the "millionaire athlete lifestyle". My gay friends don't actually have much in common with him.

Exactly. Many people on this very board fall under the ironic "intolerant" label they so eagerly throw on all who disagree.

Not really.

Not unless anyone is seriously advocating that your employer should be able to fire you just for disagreeing.

Not unless anyone is seriously advocating that you shouldn't be able to get married just for disagreeing.

People might be rude to you, and that's not right, but the two situations are hardly analogous.

Archived