R.I.P to an Awesome Sports Logo

I'm going to miss the Houston Aeros Logo.

houstonaeros.gif

I love the plane coming out of the puck and the Aerospace industry has amazing history in Houston. Gordie Howe was a Houston Aeros player in the old World Hockey Association. After the news about the Aeros moving to Iowa I wrote a blog about the Aeros history and my frustration with another cool logo giving way to what parent clubs call, "expanding the brand". I just think they are taking away the great art of sports logos. The Iowa Wild?

Would love to get your thoughts. Just with some quick research, I learned that Des Moines where the Wild will play their games is named after the Des Moines river which means "River of Monks". Why not the Iowa or Des Moines Monks? If you have any other Iowa names, let me know. I just hate that more and more of these minor league cool names are going away. Hopefully when a new arena in Houston is built which is being talked about, Houston will get another hockey team and call it the Aeros.

-Gavin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it looks kind of odd that the propellers aren't moving, yet the plane is flying.

00UFkW-166305784.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Unfortunately, the Aeros only ceased to be because Rockets owner Les Alexander no longer wanted a hockey team as a tenant. Unless he has a change of heart, the Rockets have a change of owner, or someone builds a viable alternative venue with a rink, pro hockey in Houston is dead for the forseeable future.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1170_1300989451.jpg

I just realized the logo is an M and a B. Oh my god.

50931-Colbert-slow-clap-gif-tOP4.gif

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

To me, the Aeros logo always looked more like some strange submarine than an airplane. Not sure why, just did. I knew what it was supposed to be; it just never actually came across as a plane.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Still think it looks odd

It definitely does and the reason it happens is one of the first things an aviation photographer has to learn. Have no idea whether you or anyone else cares but here goes. When shooting a moving object you usually want the fastest possible shutter speed for the light conditions. But if it's too fast it will freeze everything, including the props.

You have to use a slower shutter speed when taking pics of a prop plane. Here's one with the proper balance: fast enough for a clear pic but slow enough to show prop blur:

chancevoughtf4u_1.jpg

As for the OP, it is a pretty cool logo but would have been better with the props blurred.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The original WHA Aeros started this Texas boy's love affair with hockey in the 70's. Always liked the rebooted Aeros bomber logo too. It's not perfect. But in the landscape of minor league logos, it was high art.

I may forgive Les Alexander's role in their departure if he brings NHL hockey to H-Town. Not holding my breath though.

CCSLsig.png

Join us at Space City Lions - Houston's Aston Villa Supporters Club

Regarding the BiG: I know that when I was a kid, I didn't recognize it as both an "mb" and a ball-in-glove. When I realized it was both, it was quite the epiphany.

Regarding the Wisconsin barleyball: If the Brewers had used that on the sleeve of their 1997-99 jerseys instead of the Motre Bame diamond, they would have achieved Total Victory.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You guys have it all wrong.

THIS is the best Brewer's logo:

milwaukee-brewers-bloody-mary.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived