Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

On 12/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

Not to derail the more recent graphic talk (and do send pics of the new TSN layout when you can, Canadian pals), but lately YouTube has been recommending 90s/00s NFL clips after watching some old Primetime episodes and a lot of them have been post-return NFL on CBS. Man, CBS really went out there putting a whole graphics package set to Arial and Impact as their fonts.

And Fox of course used Handel Gothic which is fitting for their futuristic looking graphics

Aaaaand NBA on ESPN has a new scorebug which hugs the bottom 3rd of the screen like MNF

The giant numbers combined with the empty seats make the players look tiny.

It's 2020. People have giant televisions. The score numbers should be smaller, not bigger.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

54 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The giant numbers combined with the empty seats make the players look tiny.

It's 2020. People have giant televisions. The score numbers should be smaller, not bigger.

It's 2020. People consume these games on mobile devices. Make the numbers too small and they become unreadable in those formats. Score numbers have to solve the goldilocks dilemma of not too small for phones, but not too big for giant TVs.

• Like 4

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

On 12/11/2020 at 10:51 PM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

plWApFG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The trend of having the score numbers touch when presented horizontally continues. And we are back to italics.

I love it, honestly. Best way to report a score. Away team Score-Score Home team. Or home then away, either way

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 12/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

It's 2020. People consume these games on mobile devices. Make the numbers too small and they become unreadable in those formats. Score numbers have to solve the goldilocks dilemma of not too small for phones, but not too big for giant TVs.

That's a good point. And I wonder what the breakdowns are with how people view on what platforms.

However, it's still too big for giant TVs. And I bet there's a better font choice to scale down a bit for mobile platforms as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 12/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, the admiral said:

The rotoscoping Fox uses for player photos is atrocious. Maybe the worst art direction they've ever had, and mid-2000s NFL on Fox was hard to top.

I actually enjoy it, but they need to make sure they get every player added. That's why you don't see it with the college football games, because that's 200+ people too have to add, unless the school sends you the photos to work with. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/13/2020 at 5:44 PM, dmmdoublem said:

Well, here's my first attempt at a graphics package collage. It's for the NFL on CBS package used from the beginning of the 1999 NFL season through the 2000 AFC title game (a new look was introduced for Super Bowl XXXV). I used the 1999 AFC Championship Game for my example. The full broadcast can be found on the NFL's YouTube channel.

onTxDFT.png

I've always liked and prefered these graphics over anything else that CBS did with the NFL after this.

• Like 2

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

Here's my second graphics package collage. Taken from the Fox Sports Net Arizona telecast of Randy Johnson's 2004 perfect game, it's an example of the package FSN used for their baseball telecasts from the start of the 2003 season through the middle of the 2005 season. In the Summer of 2005, Fox gave the main score bar a "chrome treatment", but the rest of the package remained intact for a bit longer. As someone who became a baseball fan in the mid 00's, this package cultivates a lot of nostalgia for me, and I still rank it as one of my favorite MLB ones.

W0To9Nl.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

Here's my second graphics package collage. Taken from the Fox Sports Net Arizona telecast of Randy Johnson's 2004 perfect game, it's an example of the package FSN used for their baseball telecasts from the start of the 2003 season through the middle of the 2005 season. In the Summer of 2005, Fox gave the main score bar a "chrome treatment", but the rest of the package remained intact for a bit longer. As someone who became a baseball fan in the mid 00's, this package cultivates a lot of nostalgia for me, and I still rank it as one of my favorite MLB ones.

W0To9Nl.png

These graphics remind me why I miss Fox Sports New York (they are now MSG+)

• Like 2

What's the name of the typeface NBC uses for Sunday Night Football? I saw it mentioned on here but now I can't find it because the dog ate the search engine. It's a very nice, clean sans-serif, and I'd like to find a reason to use it for stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What's the name of the typeface NBC uses for Sunday Night Football? I saw it mentioned on here but now I can't find it because the dog ate the search engine. It's a very nice, clean sans-serif, and I'd like to find a reason to use it for stuff.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:26 AM, packerfan21396 said:

For SNF, they use Ringside, not Arial.  Good work on the rest of it, though.

• Like 3