Chris Wondolowski's name spelled wrong on USA kit tonight

Digby

When Hristo Stoichkov played for the Fire, his jersey read this:

chicago_fire_2001_away_stoitchkov8_ss_flatback_detail.jpg

It wasn't exactly a misprint. Stoichkov told the Fire this is how it was actually spelled, and that in all those years with Barcelona and Bulgaria the teams had the Latin transliteration wrong.

However, none of the league or team records have this spelling anymore. Instead, they opt for the more famous version people expect, as so many people pointed out what they thought was an error on the Fire's part. No mention of the alternative spelling appears in any English-language sources.

Nothing to do with anything, this story just reminded me of a similar situation.

Why must Nike put non team related colors on everything they touch?! Would blue numbers not work here?! Stupid! The only thing that makes that uniform hideous.

The numbers are blue. But they have tiny holes all over them which makes it look almost silver-gray.

patriotssignature.png

It's a super-polish name... It's understandable...

Imagine the French team, now made up of 80%+ of African-born guys with weird last names.

At least when the States tries to claim non-residents, it's easy names like Boyd or Chandler or Johnson.

Or Lichaj. Or Adu. Or Edu. Or Rimando.

Or Radosavljevic.

But feel free to go ahead and make inaccurate generalizations.

patriotssignature.png

They changed it at halftime btw.

That may not have been in response to spotting the typo though - it's quite common for players to change their kit at half time, and Wondo(w)lowski may have simply switched to a fresh shirt which happened to carry the correct spelling.

It's a super-polish name... It's understandable...

Imagine the French team, now made up of 80%+ of African-born guys with weird last names.

At least when the States tries to claim non-residents, it's easy names like Boyd or Chandler or Johnson.

Or Lichaj. Or Adu. Or Edu. Or Rimando.

Or Radosavljevic.

But feel free to go ahead and make inaccurate generalizations.

I clearly said 'non-residents'. Rimando and Edu are Cali kids, Lichaj is from the CHI.

For the FFF, Mandanda is from Kinshasa. Yanga-Mbiwa is from Bangui. Evra is from Senegal. Plus a ton of guys who are first generation in the country.

But feel free to go ahead and cherry-pick my post.

First half with extra W: three goals

Second half, spelled correctly: no goals

Time for Wondo to change the spelling of his last name. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why must Nike put non team related colors on everything they touch?! Would blue numbers not work here?! Stupid! The only thing that makes that uniform hideous.

The numbers are blue. But they have tiny holes all over them which makes it look almost silver-gray.

Which absolutely sucks. Both this kit and the centennial are almost ruined by the gimmicky number pattern. Nike and USA soccer are to blame for this one.

I come from Poland but I've been living in Germany for 8 years. Although my surname is slightly shorter ("only" 10 letters) I've seen several versions of it already. Funny to see it happening also in international football.

On the side note, if his original name is Wondołowski, it should be actually pronounced close to Vondow(l)ovski in Polish.

Archived