NFL '13 SEASON THREAD

Cujo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Injuries withstanding, If Denver doesn't win the AFC I will be shocked.

Ehh. Not so fast. No matter how good Peyton's teams have been in the regular season, they are a virtual coin flip in the playoffs.

As I said last week, with all the regular season success he's had, it's hard to believe Peyton's only got one ring. For whatever reason, Peyton underperforms when there's more than just a regular season "W" on the line. Denver could go 16-0, and would I still have some doubts about them come January.

6uXNWAo.png

Injuries withstanding, If Denver doesn't win the AFC I will be shocked.

Ehh. Not so fast. No matter how good Peyton's teams have been in the regular season, they are a virtual coin flip in the playoffs.

As I said last week, with all the regular season success he's had, it's hard to believe Peyton's only got one ring. For whatever reason, Peyton underperforms when there's more than just a regular season "W" on the line. Denver could go 16-0, and would I still have some doubts about them come January.

Exactly. I think we're all forgetting that people were saying the same thing about the Broncos last season. I'll be shocked if they win the AFC.

BB52Big.jpg

Hey, I was going to throw in the towel with Seattle down 20-3 with the offense seemingly stalled. It's funny how things can change quickly in a quarter.

Was this an impressive win? Yeah... but, it required a comeback. Good teams know that when you're on the road, you need to put the pedal to the metal and take the fanbase out of the game. Something they can do next week against Indy.

I'm not so sure. This Broncos team is much better than the one last year. That is one of the most efficient offenses I have ever seen, and Trindon Holliday is the best return man in the league by a country mile. We have to remember that what happened against the Ravens last year was in large part a fluke; it cost them that game and that season, yes, but that's not gonna happen again, giving up 70 yard TD's the final minute. I really like the look of that team.

Frankly, this is the best team Peyton Manning has ever played on.

spacer.png

My pick has been, and will continue to be Broncos as Super Bowl XLVIII champions. I originally had them playing the Falcons, but we'll see.

I honestly believe the Broncos will go 16-0 as long as they don't rest Manning the last couple of games.

I'm not so sure. This Broncos team is much better than the one last year. That is one of the most efficient offenses I have ever seen, and Trindon Holliday is the best return man in the league by a country mile. We have to remember that what happened against the Ravens last year was in large part a fluke; it cost them that game and that season, yes, but that's not gonna happen again, giving up 70 yard TD's the final minute. I really like the look of that team.

Frankly, this is the best team Peyton Manning has ever played on.

We'll see. What I've watched doesn't look a whole lot different from last season. Well, other than Welker. And Peyton Manning is still Peyton Manning. His less than stellar postseason record doesn't change just because Denver is off to a blazing start.

OK, I gotta ask, how do you know it won't happen again this season?

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think the odds of giving up a 70 yard touchdown in the final minute of a playoff home game in consecutive years are very high.

If you're asking that in the vein of "how do you know they aren't gonna lose at home in the playoffs again", well, that's a different question. Of course it could happen, but I don't see a team in the AFC who I would give favorable odds in doing that. In addition, it's not just Welker, it's also Julius Thomas and how well Peyton has integrated him into the offense as well. They can run the ball well enough, and they have quality receiving in various aspects of the game, be it slot, screen, deep, intermediate, etc. That is a full package, and there's a reason they are averaging nearly 45 PPG to this point of the season.

spacer.png

Somehow, I just keep thinking about the 2007 Patriots, not to mention the last team with an "unstoppable" offense before that, the 1998 Minnesota Vikings. Neither of those two squads managed to close the deal, and the latter didn't even make the big show.

All of which to say...its all fun to speculate at this point, but....one never knows what crazy thangs may happen in the postseason. Just a little perspective.

One other thing: I know it's a fat chance, but maybe, maaaayyyybbee someone in the Succaneers' braintrust (a word which right now seems like the oxymoronicest of the oxymoronic) might try luring Monte Kiffin back to Tampa's sideline? Maybe???? (I know it's just a pipe dream, but, still.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I don't think the odds of giving up a 70 yard touchdown in the final minute of a playoff home game in consecutive years are very high.

If you're asking that in the vein of "how do you know they aren't gonna lose at home in the playoffs again", well, that's a different question. Of course it could happen, but I don't see a team in the AFC who I would give favorable odds in doing that. In addition, it's not just Welker, it's also Julius Thomas and how well Peyton has integrated him into the offense as well. They can run the ball well enough, and they have quality receiving in various aspects of the game, be it slot, screen, deep, intermediate, etc. That is a full package, and there's a reason they are averaging nearly 45 PPG to this point of the season.

Again, we were all saying the same type of thing last season. I don't disagree with your assessment of the Broncos at all. I'm just skeptical, and based on Peyton's past performance, I have good reason to be.

It helps when you're playing teams that aren't exactly defensive powerhouses.

BB52Big.jpg

I think his less-than-stellar postseason record is the result of the unimpressive talent he was surrounded with in Indianapolis. There's a reason the team went 2-14 without him. Everything about that team was based on Peyton Manning... well, when you're matched up against the Bill Belichick coached teams and Dick Lebeau coached defenses, that advantage is negated. Don't forget Vanderjagt missing FG's. Last season was a poor defensive gameplan with an older player like Champ on a speedster like Torrey Smith without safety help over the top and a fluke play. This season, the Patriots are worse, the Ravens are worse, the Texans still have Schaub, Cincy isn't impressive.

Not to mention, Peyton Manning's stats aren't that much worse in the playoffs. Same Yards per attempt, same INT rate, more yards per game. His playoffs numbers compare with any other all-time great QBs playoff numbers.

The record isn't his fault.

IUe6Hvh.png

Trust me, I'm always leery of Peyton's not-so-great postseason resume' as well. I think it's happened four or five times in his career, that he was the QB of a #1 or #2 seed that lost their first playoff game. I know that was the case in 1999, 2005, 2007, and 2012. I just have to take the odds right now that I would pick the Broncos to beat anybody, home or road, in the AFC right now. Obviously, "any given Sunday" syndrome can strike on, well, any given Sunday.

spacer.png

OK, you all have convinced me. There's really no point in playing out the season. Let's just hand Denver the Lombardi Trophy and move on to college football, the NHL, and the NBA. Saves us all a bunch of time. Have we decided which NFC team lost to the Broncos? B)

EDIT: Kramerica, I'll be needing that uncanny ability you have to dig up old posts come playoff time so I can have quick access to all this. I have every intention of gloating when the Broncos bow out.

BB52Big.jpg

Again, we were all saying the same type of thing last season. I don't disagree with your assessment of the Broncos at all. I'm just skeptical, and based on Peyton's past performance, I have good reason to be.

The Raiders have given up 21, 9, and 24 this season. Not exactly terrible. The Broncos got 39 on them and pumped the breaks early in the fourth.

The Ravens have given up 6, 9, and 23 this season. Not bad at all. They gave up 49 to the Broncos... 35 of which came in 30 minutes of football.

But yeah, the Giants and Eagles defenses are awful, so that's fair.

For what it's worth, I think Kansas City can beat. I'm not sure they can do it in a third matchup between the teams or in Denver, but I think they can beat them. Granted, I think Denver is still head and shoulders above KC. But I'm biased.

edit: Also, the Broncos aren't trying to run the score up like those Pats teams were, where they'd put in their second string with a huge lead and when Cassell threw an INT, send Brady back into the game. They're calling off the dogs early in the fourth quarter of all of these games.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Raiders have given up 21, 9, and 24 this season. Not exactly terrible. The Broncos got 39 on them and pumped the breaks early in the fourth.

The Ravens have given up 6, 9, and 23 this season. Not bad at all. They gave up 49 to the Broncos... 35 of which came in 30 minutes of football.

Talk to me when the Broncos manage to get past the new favorites to win the AFC...wait for it....yup!

THE 2013 CLEVELAND :censored:-ing BROWNS, BITCHES! B)

Bengals_Browns_Football_139565_game.jpg-16b9b57365eac6b9.jpg

This is what a Super Bowl caliber QB looks like...

Bengals_Browns_Football_139579_game.jpg

Now that's intimidating.

BB52Big.jpg

Talk to me when the Broncos manage to get past the new favorites to win the AFC...wait for it....yup!

THE 2013 CLEVELAND :censored:-ing BROWNS, BITCHES! B)

Bengals_Browns_Football_139565_game.jpg-16b9b57365eac6b9.jpg

This is what a Super Bowl caliber QB looks like...

Bengals_Browns_Football_139579_game.jpg

Now that's intimidating.

If the Browns win the AFC this year, I will become a Browns fan and cheer for them just as hard as I do for the Patriots. I'm dead serious!

Archived