BC Lions new black third

andrew.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe solid orange numbers would be better, but I like them. Kinda of surprised because I hadn't heard anything about a 3rd. The funny thing is that one of the the players, Angus Reid, who writes a weekly column in the papers, just wrote about how the Lions identity is orange and here they go bringing out these. I wonder if he had any idea, either.

Graphite's back? Nice :)

crop_19719150420.jpg

I don't mind these at all, in fact my gripe with the Lions is the same on all of their jerseys. Get the logo off the shoulders.

It's interesting that they're using a retro logo on these modern designs. For some reason it doesn't look out of place on these.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I like the look... for a while there was a LOT of black in the CFL (Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal, Sask all had black thirds at one time or another, plus BC and Hamilton's usual home unis) and it was getting a little overdone. But in the last few years it has pretty much disappeared so it's actually not bad to see a black third again. The matte helmets are a nice touch too.

My only gripe is that the black on black numbers were pretty hard to read while watching the game. Orange on black would be far better for visibility, but I'm sure "the look" would be spoiled a bit with that approach.

I give it a thumbs up. And I think Chawls is being generous... these are Oregon inspired to the point of almost being ripoffs, but they managed to make it work for them.

crop_19719150420.jpg

I don't mind these at all, in fact my gripe with the Lions is the same on all of their jerseys. Get the logo off the shoulders.

It's interesting that they're using a retro logo on these modern designs. For some reason it doesn't look out of place on these.

crop_19719150420.jpg

Love the idea of blending a retro logo and graphite together on an alternate. I do agree with not keeping the logo on the shoulders and replacing it with the numbers that are on the sleeves.

However, my biggest gripe about the Lions' unis is not having more striping on jersey sleeves and most of all, the helmets. The striping that goes down the entire Lions' alternate is the exact same that should go on both the graphite and white helmets and on their home white pants. The away orange pants would then have the orange and white inverted.

I mentioned the Lions' lack of striping on p.10 of the topic "Small details that bother you". I mentioned every gripe I had about every CFL team.

I'm shocked at all the love these are getting. These are some of the worst football uniforms I have ever seen.

IMO they're doing what a third jersey should be doing... a different and bold design that stays true to the basic elements of the team's look. In this case, they played up the black, played down the orange, but the end result works. I like this a lot better than the very plain vanilla black home unis that the BC Lions used to wear back in the 90s:

Allen.Damon-BC3.jpg

And for no reason in particular, I'm going to throw in this other picture of a black BC Lions jersey that came up in my Google image search... it features a certain celebrity whose big break came when she was discovered at a Lions game back in the 80s:

7841051.jpg?size=640x420

I'm shocked at all the love these are getting. These are some of the worst football uniforms I have ever seen.

And for no reason in particular, I'm going to throw in this other picture of a black BC Lions jersey that came up in my Google image search... it features a certain celebrity whose big break came when she was discovered at a Lions game back in the 80s:

7841051.jpg?size=640x420

PFPS

I can haz sig?

That doesn't excuse poor design. Try a new striping pattern, maybe a new helmet, fine. But head-to-toe black with black numbers, that crappy paw-logo, and that weird-ass orange stripe just looks terrible. Wear an orange version of your current helmet, orange pants, and a black jersey with orange numbers outlined in white. Try a new uniform design, a new logo, a new font even. Just avoid monochrome black.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived