The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

ok here is a question, when on ebay I am looking at ones like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnastoa-Timberwolves-Ricky-Rubio-Revolution-30-Away-Blue-Jersey-/280800787725?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item416107fd0d#ht_4368wt_952

and I know it is from hong kong but it looks legit, my question is, will i just not get it when I order it? or will I receive what I buy because that jersey looks legit and would love to get it

Who knows. They may use a legit photo and still send a fake.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

ok here is a question, when on ebay I am looking at ones like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnastoa-Timberwolves-Ricky-Rubio-Revolution-30-Away-Blue-Jersey-/280800787725?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item416107fd0d#ht_4368wt_952

and I know it is from hong kong but it looks legit, my question is, will i just not get it when I order it? or will I receive what I buy because that jersey looks legit and would love to get it

That picture looks legit, but just look at how they spell Minnesota in the listing. I'd be surprised if you got the jersey in that picture.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I went to the Cubs-Padres game back on September 26 and saw a couple of counterfeit jerseys in for the first time in person, at least since I became aware of them. One guy was wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey and it looked pretty good, the only way you could tell I was a fake was the MLB logo on the back was off, and also they don't sell current jerseys with retired players' names. There was another guy wearing a Jets jersey that also looked pretty good, the only things wrong with it were the green was a little too light and the lettering on the player's name was a little off.

One guy was wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey and it looked pretty good, the only way you could tell I was a fake was the MLB logo on the back was off, and also they don't sell current jerseys with retired players' names.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but couldn't he have gotten a custom current jersey with SANDBERG on it? I mean I'm not saying it wasn't a fake, but I don't think that's evidence of it being a fake.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

That picture looks legit, but just look at how they spell Minnesota in the listing. I'd be surprised if you got the jersey in that picture.

yea, but the thing I dont get is that this seller is a top rated seller and all of his comments from the buyers are positive

yea, but the thing I dont get is that this seller is a top rated seller and all of his comments from the buyers are positive

see, it's not hard to get. you can see why that would be in this thread. there are different types of people who buy knock offs. in one group, there are the people that don't know the difference. these are the guys who can see wearing one and bragging to their buddies, "yeah, authentic and only $40 on ebay!" then there are people who brazenly say, "i know it's a knock off, but [insert litany of justifications], so i just don't care." that makes for a lot of satisfied customers, so it would make sense that a knock off seller would have good feedback.

in my opinion (however, i think it's pretty close to absolute fact), knock offs suck. they're terrible quality, they put money in the hands of some questionable people and they look like garbage. i think you can make a case for anything ranging from IP theft to keeping money out of the hands of people who should earn money off their likeness to taking work away from independent stitchers or people that have jobs in majestic/reebok/nike's factories. but people still insist on buying them without a care.

my point is this: if you reserve your right to flaunt yourself around in a fake jersey, i reserve the right to think you're stupid.

sig2024.png

see, it's not hard to get. you can see why that would be in this thread. there are different types of people who buy knock offs. in one group, there are the people that don't know the difference. these are the guys who can see wearing one and bragging to their buddies, "yeah, authentic and only $40 on ebay!" then there are people who brazenly say, "i know it's a knock off, but [insert litany of justifications], so i just don't care." that makes for a lot of satisfied customers, so it would make sense that a knock off seller would have good feedback.

This is exactly right. I don't understand why people don't know what their favourite team wears, but tons of fans buy counterfeits and seem convinced that it's real. Plenty of others don't want to spend money on an authentic jersey, so they're okay with a fake.

(removed stuff I agree with, but we've been over)

Yeah, I think the majority of buyers are happy for those reasons. Remember, we are NERDS. We recognize this stuff more than most. And most of the rest "get it" and "don't care".

Though if he is doing a bait and switch with the photos, I'd expect a couple people would provide negative feedback.

My guess, though...fake...cuz if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Don't be fooled by the pictures - a lot of those scumbags use pictures of legit jerseys and then send you crap ones.

Yep, I fell for that back in 2006 before I understood the fake jersey market. I got a Lance Briggs jersey that looked close to legit if you overlooked the bubbly numbers and the fact that the back numbers were sewn on at a 10 degree angle. The seller accepted the return, but I didn't report him to ebay for fear he would leave me negative feedback.

Don't trust ANY seller on ebay unless he provides numerous photos of the jersey from different angles. If you are unsure or see that the same photo is used for multiple postings (by that seller or others), message him and ask him for more photos, such as a close-up of the sleeve numbers. Any listing with a picture of an authentic jersey with no background to the image (just the jersey) is taking an image from NFL.com or another legit website and using it to cover for the fakes they are selling.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Don't be fooled by the pictures - a lot of those scumbags use pictures of legit jerseys and then send you crap ones.

Yep, I fell for that back in 2006 before I understood the fake jersey market. I got a Lance Briggs jersey that looked close to legit if you overlooked the bubbly numbers and the fact that the back numbers were sewn on at a 10 degree angle. The seller accepted the return, but I didn't report him to ebay for fear he would leave me negative feedback.

Don't trust ANY seller on ebay unless he provides numerous photos of the jersey from different angles. If you are unsure or see that the same photo is used for multiple postings (by that seller or others), message him and ask him for more photos, such as a close-up of the sleeve numbers. Any listing with a picture of an authentic jersey with no background to the image (just the jersey) is taking an image from NFL.com or another legit website and using it to cover for the fakes they are selling.

Yeah, but that's true for buying anything online. That's not specific to the counterfeit jersey market. If you're EVER buying ANYTHING online that you haven't seen in person yourself, you're running the risk of being screwed. Even if there are multiple photos from multiple angles, that doesn't mean :censored:. They could still be fake.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yeah, but that's true for buying anything online. That's not specific to the counterfeit jersey market. If you're EVER buying ANYTHING online that you haven't seen in person yourself, you're running the risk of being screwed. Even if there are multiple photos from multiple angles, that doesn't mean :censored:. They could still be fake.

That said, certain kinds of jerseys are almost never faked. I got a Lady Liberty jersey and a Blue Jackets original season jersey off Ebay, and they're both 100% legit. If the jersey is a) blank and b ) Starter or ProPlayer, it's likely legit.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

One guy was wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey and it looked pretty good, the only way you could tell I was a fake was the MLB logo on the back was off, and also they don't sell current jerseys with retired players' names.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but couldn't he have gotten a custom current jersey with SANDBERG on it? I mean I'm not saying it wasn't a fake, but I don't think that's evidence of it being a fake.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't allow you to customize current jerseys with retired players' names, managers/coaches names, etc.

True, there are a lot of fans here in Michigan with RBK Edge Wings jersey with Howe #9 on it.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

The fact they are charging $165 for something that's obviously fake, pretty pathetic if someone bought that

cbe40ver0fdixhaag4regu3k0.gif3109.gifmt0sb106vq1t9wff53rzn98j9.gif

From Sudbury to Peterborough, now in Sherbrooke

2v274et.jpgWonderfully done by Silent Wind of Doom