The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

One guy was wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey and it looked pretty good, the only way you could tell I was a fake was the MLB logo on the back was off, and also they don't sell current jerseys with retired players' names.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but couldn't he have gotten a custom current jersey with SANDBERG on it? I mean I'm not saying it wasn't a fake, but I don't think that's evidence of it being a fake.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't allow you to customize current jerseys with retired players' names, managers/coaches names, etc.

The NFL, NHL and MLB don't allow retired players' names and numbers on customized jerseys (the NBA does, however). Pretty sure you can get an aftermarket job done from a place like River City Sports or any of the other sites that do post-purchase customizing, though.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

Seems to only apply to the NFL's website. Retired player names/numbers can be put on jerseys bought through the team shop but not NFLshop.com. Why that is, I have no idea.

EDIT: Scratch that, some teams' sites seem to allow retired players and some don't, but NFLshop.com doesn't allow any of them. Hopefully someone in the know can clear this up 'cause I'm confused.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

One guy was wearing a Ryne Sandberg jersey and it looked pretty good, the only way you could tell I was a fake was the MLB logo on the back was off, and also they don't sell current jerseys with retired players' names.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but couldn't he have gotten a custom current jersey with SANDBERG on it? I mean I'm not saying it wasn't a fake, but I don't think that's evidence of it being a fake.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't allow you to customize current jerseys with retired players' names, managers/coaches names, etc.

The NFL, NHL and MLB don't allow retired players' names and numbers on customized jerseys (the NBA does, however). Pretty sure you can get an aftermarket job done from a place like River City Sports or any of the other sites that do post-purchase customizing, though.

Seems to only apply to the NFL's website. Retired player names/numbers can be put on jerseys bought through the team shop but not NFLshop.com. Why that is, I have no idea.

EDIT: Scratch that, some teams' sites seem to allow retired players and some don't, but NFLshop.com doesn't allow any of them. Hopefully someone in the know can clear this up 'cause I'm confused.

That's really stupid, then. What if a player with an extremely common surname (like Johnson or Smith or Jones) retires? Then the only fans who can get a customized jersey for that team have to be the ones without that name? Some guy named Jim Johnson can't get his name on a jersey then?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

That's really stupid, then. What if a player with an extremely common surname (like Johnson or Smith or Jones) retires? Then the only fans who can get a customized jersey for that team have to be the ones without that name? Some guy named Jim Johnson can't get his name on a jersey then?

It only applies to the particular name/number combination of the retired player. For example, you can't get a Cowboys jersey with "Smith" and number 22, but the same name with any other number is okay, as is any other name with the number 22.

(Incidentally, trying to customize a Packers jersey with Brett Favre's name and number was rejected owing to, "Language deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or profane". Make of that what you will.)

teamlogossig.png

ok here is a question, when on ebay I am looking at ones like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnastoa-Timberwolves-Ricky-Rubio-Revolution-30-Away-Blue-Jersey-/280800787725?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item416107fd0d#ht_4368wt_952

and I know it is from hong kong but it looks legit, my question is, will i just not get it when I order it? or will I receive what I buy because that jersey looks legit and would love to get it

I've bought a few fakies from this seller. I bought this Alonzo Mourning (because a real hardwood Zo jersey doesn't exist) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miami-Heat-Alonzo-Mourning-1996-Classic-Away-Red-Jersey-/280795934384?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4160bdeeb0

It looks exactly as pictured. Fake; but absolutely matches detail for detail; what real hardwood classics have. The only difference being; the jerseys aren't as long, and slightly less wide. This is good for me, because I'm short and I hate baggy jerseys.

I also bought the Drexler; because at the time I only had a paypal & NBA only took payments via credit card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portland-Trail-Blazer-Clyde-Drexler-Classic-Away-Black-Jersey-/280800299267?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4161008903

Again; this was exactly the same as a real one (I later compared when I found one in store), except the sizing was a couple mm's off.

I bought the Reggie Miller, because again, no real Miller jerseys exist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indiana-Pacers-Reggie-Miller-Classic-Navy-2-Jersey-/270887286484?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item3f1223f6d4

Exactly as pictured. This fake has one particular difference; the tag at the bottom doesn't say "Reggie Miller 31 1997-98" as it should.

I actually ended up buying a fake Griffin LA jersey that I asked about in this thread - one this particular occasion it wasn't as pictured - the blue was missing from the font, but everything else the same - I ended up getting a full refund and keeping the jersey for sleepware.

I bought a fake Lebron Heat; the only singular difference was the material used on side trim.

So; to answer your question; It will most likely be exactly as pictured, but you'll have to compare all the materials/colors of the real to the fake. I've bought a few fakes in my time; but now that money isn't as tight as it used to be, I only get legit stuff (UNLESS, it's retro jerseys that I cannot get real). I've also replaced a fake with a real (Tracy McGrady Raptors jersey - there were MANY differences between the fake and the real, because it's a complex jersey).

If anyone has any more questions about fake swingman jerseys from Hong Kong, go ahead - I think I know quite a bit.

I believe it's through licensing of the Players' Associations, which retired players would not be a part of.

6fQjS3M.png

I believe it's through licensing of the Players' Associations, which retired players would not be a part of.

Right, but it's still stupid that a fan wouldn't be able to get a jersey with his name on it just because he has the same name as a player who used to play for that team.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

ok here is a question, when on ebay I am looking at ones like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnastoa-Timberwolves-Ricky-Rubio-Revolution-30-Away-Blue-Jersey-/280800787725?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item416107fd0d#ht_4368wt_952

and I know it is from hong kong but it looks legit, my question is, will i just not get it when I order it? or will I receive what I buy because that jersey looks legit and would love to get it

I've bought a few fakies from this seller. I bought this Alonzo Mourning (because a real hardwood Zo jersey doesn't exist) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miami-Heat-Alonzo-Mourning-1996-Classic-Away-Red-Jersey-/280795934384?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4160bdeeb0

It looks exactly as pictured. Fake; but absolutely matches detail for detail; what real hardwood classics have. The only difference being; the jerseys aren't as long, and slightly less wide. This is good for me, because I'm short and I hate baggy jerseys.

I also bought the Drexler; because at the time I only had a paypal & NBA only took payments via credit card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portland-Trail-Blazer-Clyde-Drexler-Classic-Away-Black-Jersey-/280800299267?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item4161008903

Again; this was exactly the same as a real one (I later compared when I found one in store), except the sizing was a couple mm's off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indiana-Pacers-Reggie-Miller-Classic-Navy-2-Jersey-/270887286484?pt=US_Basketball_Fan_Shop&hash=item3f1223f6d4

Exactly as pictured. This fake has one particular difference; the tag at the bottom doesn't say "Reggie Miller 31 1997-98" as it should.

I actually ended up buying a fake Griffin LA jersey that I asked about in this thread - one this particular occasion it wasn't as pictured - the blue was missing from the font, but everything else the same - I ended up getting a full refund and keeping the jersey for sleepware.

I bought a fake Lebron Heat; the only singular difference was the material used on side trim.

So; to answer your question; It will most likely be exactly as pictured, but you'll have to compare all the materials/colors of the real to the fake. I've bought a few fakes in my time; but now that money isn't as tight as it used to be, I only get legit stuff (UNLESS, it's retro jerseys that I cannot get real). I've also replaced a fake with a real (Tracy McGrady Raptors jersey - there were MANY differences between the fake and the real, because it's a complex jersey).

If anyone has any more questions about fake swingman jerseys from Hong Kong, go ahead - I think I know quite a bit.

thank you so much! this really helps, I need to compare the pictures between a real and a fake for those ricky rubio jerseys from that seller, because it looks spot on

Right, but it's still stupid that a fan wouldn't be able to get a jersey with his name on it just because he has the same name as a player who used to play for that team.

You can get a jersey with that name, just not with that exact number that the retired player wore.

You can call and ask to have the restriction lifted by proving your lastname really is smith or marino or sanders. They just dont want someone buying the jersey infringing on the players licensing rights. Theres no licensing right conflict if you share the same surname.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

thank you so much! this really helps, I need to compare the pictures between a real and a fake for those ricky rubio jerseys from that seller, because it looks spot on

no worries mate; the pirates never attempted Minnesota's previous jersey because the trim was too complex. I've got to admit; the counterfeit jersey market makes very accurate NBA jerseys most of the time; much more accurate than the fake MLBs, NHL & NFL.

Hey guys, is supejerseys.com a safe site? I'm considering getting a jersey from their.

Site is absolutely infested with fake jerseys. Stay away if you can.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• 2 weeks later...

haha. my last name is Smith (i wear 73) and i can't find anyone in any sport who ever wore this number. i have no problems.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.