2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

Alright I have to say I was off on my 2-0 Ghana prediction. I was expecting that result, especially how much Ghana was pressing and providing the high attack the entire match. I still can't believe Brooks got his head on the ball from the corner. Nice win for the Americans but watch out for Portugal :P

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

should be called the Miracle at Natal

No it shouldn't. We arent even out of the group stage yet, we only have 5 days till Portugal and lots of injuries one of them being our premier striker in altadore

It's a lot like when everyone went insane over TJ Oshie saying that he was an Olympic hockey legend for winning against a weak Russian team in the group stage.

It was a fantastic game, but we really shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is. Things could easily go downhill fast.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

No it shouldn't. We arent even out of the group stage yet, we only have 5 days till Portugal and lots of injuries one of them being our premier striker in altadore
It's a lot like when everyone went insane over TJ Oshie saying that he was an Olympic hockey legend for winning against a weak Russian team in the group stage.

It was a fantastic game, but we really shouldn't make this a bigger deal than it is. Things could easily go downhill fast.

Oshie vs. Russia to me is like Salo's Belarus debacle- memorable, but after that, the winning side in that game went on to lose semifinal and bronze medal games.

More than likely will, the US hockey team was a sure fire medal team, the USMNT would be doing above expectations if they make it out of the group stage

It was a pleasure to watch this incredible match from an American standpoint; 'twas a thriller from start to finish. Of course the start was magnificent, but from shortly after that point to the 89th minute, Ghana dominated, creating tons of chances due to a tired, hurting, and I must say poorly conditioned American defense. Luckily Timmy was up to the task; he was outstanding and influential as always. And of course nothing beats the storyline with Brooks and the U.S. bearing down to finish off Ghana. Klinsmann's decision making sub-wise was fantastic; Zusi is easily the best on the squad from set pieces and Jürgen knew that's what it would come down to.

The Ghanians seemed arrogant before the match started. They really prided themselves on the disappointment they've caused Americans over the past few years and the fear they instilled into American minds because of their dominance over the USA in major tournaments. For a third world country like Ghana to dominate a world power and a country that prides itself on winning (the United States) is huge and the Ghanian team knew that. But in the end, I'm absolutely enthralled with the victory and having gotten off the schneid against Ghana. Revenge is so sweet after the way the U.S. have gone down to Ghana in World Cups 2006 and 2010, and now the United States have put themselves in a fantastic position in Group G. I don't think anyone would argue that the USA are the favorites to finish second behind Germany in the group (and play imminently Belgium in the Round of 16).

All that being said, the United States will have to really acclimate itself to equatorial conditions for the forthcoming match against Brazil in Manaus. The defense will need to be much sharper, faster, durable, and better conditioned. Hopefully Altidore gets healthy, but if not I really think that the United States will be able to work Jóhannsson or Wondolowski into the offense effectively.

25yzwqg.png

Alright I have to say I was off on my 2-0 Ghana prediction. I was expecting that result, especially how much Ghana was pressing and providing the high attack the entire match. I still can't believe Brooks got his head on the ball from the corner. Nice win for the Americans but watch out for Portugal :P

How were you expecting a 2-0 Ghana win based on their play when they allowed a goal 30 seconds into the game?

I know FIFA's a screwy bunch, but they don't take goals off the board for good play, do they?

How were you expecting a 2-0 Ghana win based on their play when they allowed a goal 30 seconds into the game?

I know FIFA's a screwy bunch, but they don't take goals off the board for good play, do they?

But they were GREAT in that first 29 seconds. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

It's way, way too early to say the U.S. is in the favorable spot for advancement, IMO. That won't be determined one way or another until after the game against Portugal. If they get a result, then we can talk about favorable spots (although Germany is just as capable of a U.S. ass-kicking as they were a Portuguese one). They managed to snake the full three points out of this game today and I'm not quite sure how they managed that. Still a lot of work to be done and improving on form if they want to advance.

spacer.png

Great win for the Americans today. They had to win this game in order to make some noise and hey, it's great to see some records fall in the process (fastest goal in USA's World Cup history and the first American sub to score).

Now, comes Portugal. They're a heavily wounded beast and everyone knows what happens when you face a wounded beast. It's not going to be easy, but there are two ways this can be good for the Americans.

Win: Of course, a win would be great. Not only would it send Portugal packing from the tournament, it turns the USA-Germany game into a winner take all match where the winner wins the group and would more then likely get Russia (but don't count out either Algeria or South Korea as well). I don't know about you, but I'd want to avoid Belgium at this point if they're as good as their ranking suggests.

Tie: A tie also helps America's case here. Remember, Portugal has to make up a -4 goal difference. Any tie (that's not a 4-4 tie) helps out because the US can shock Germany and steal the group from right under their noses in the process.

Let's say the U.S. does end up second in group play and goes on to the Round of 16 against let's say Belgium or Russia. A win is possible there as well. Not selling Belgium or Russia short or even South Korea. I'm not trying trying to jinx them or jump the gun but the U.S. in the quarterfinals would be huge considering.

So...

if the U.S. does get a result against Portugal, will our lineup against Germany be something like 7-2-1?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's say the U.S. does end up second in group play and goes on to the Round of 16 against let's say Belgium or Russia. A win is possible there as well. Not selling Belgium or Russia short or even South Korea. I'm not trying trying to jinx them or jump the gun but the U.S. in the quarterfinals would be huge considering.

I don't like our odds getting out of the group... I like them even worse against Belgium, who is the superior team in that group. Barring a major collapse, I don't see them losing it.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Hey with this group it would be a great accomplishment for the USA to get to the Round of 16, especially if Altidor is out the rest of the way. However, a draw against Portugal and not getting blitzed by Germany could be enough. Hopefully Germany will crush Ghana and bury them so we can just focus on Portugal for our path to the Round of 16.

Winning a game over Ghana was good and makes the trip to Brazil not a total loss.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Wow, incredible! Simply incredible. Ma boy Jay Brooks just scored a goal in a World Cup. I don't know him in person but I got a good friend that trained some youth teams for several clubs here in Berlin and about connections he knows him pretty well. I liked his reaction after the goal! :)

Congrats to all of you! I believe you'll come to the next round!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Congratulations on beating Ghana but they are not the team that appeared in the last World Cup.

Premature to be talking about qualifiying out the group when you have to play two European powerhouses still. Yes Portugal got stuffed by Germany but they wont just roll over and be licking their wounds. They will be more of a threat now after the defeat and more determined to prove a point. They might have a poor goal difference which might hinder thier chances but a win against the U.S.A will leave you with having to beat Germany. That would be the shock of the tournament.

The hard work has only just started for the U.S.A team.

glory10.png

They might have a poor goal difference which might hinder thier chances

I believe head-to-head is above goal difference when it comes to tie breakers. So Portugal beating USA by any score would mean USA having to get some sort of result against Germany to get out of the group.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

They might have a poor goal difference which might hinder thier chances

I believe head-to-head is above goal difference when it comes to tie breakers. So Portugal beating USA by any score would mean USA having to get some sort of result against Germany to get out of the group.

The trouble the U.S.A will have against Portugal and Germany is the lack of width if Klinnsman persists with his diamond midfield. Unless he has a plan B then they will struggle. Last night the U.S.A had a far less passing rate as well with only the most coming from inside their own area and when it came to crossing they only managed 3 out of 8 attempts. The coaches of Germany and Portugal would have noticed that straight away. The diamond midfield is strong through the middle but as the games go on it is easily exploited if teams are playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. Yes Ghana played with a 4-2-3-1 and outplayed the U.S.A for most of the game but teams like Germany are far more adept at it.

glory10.png

I won't claim to know much about the sport or claim to watch every single US friendly or read practice and roster updates, but the men's national team is my favorite soccer team and I've watched most of their tournament games over the last few years (and all of their mostly frustrating World Cup games since 2002). I was incredibly nervous and Ghana's equalizer felt like it should've happened 20 minutes before that.

It felt like so many hockey games I've watched (sorry that's my best frame of reference) where a team scores early and it creates a false sense of security. It felt like the US got outplayed and we were lucky to come out with a win. That go-ahead goal in the 85th (?) minute was awesome though.

How much trouble are we in without Altidore?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived