2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

On the flip side- How much blame you gonna assign to the Argentine goalie on the goal?

He didn't get beat near-post which is the biggest thing for me there. That's an incredibly tough finish for Götze (after a great cross from Schürrle). Can't blame the keeper there in my book.

Maybe Argentina should've taken one of their golden chances.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty sure Putin has done this with assorted Russian teams. IIHF worlds, KHL champs, etc.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Going in I thought Brazil would stumble as the tournament got to the semifinals. They seemed a little overrated and inexperienced. Come Russia 2018 they better be singing a different tune.

Final prediction:

Germany 1, Argentina 0 (Extra Time)

Good call.

I picked Germany from the very beginning (I had them beating Holland, though), so I'm happy with this. I'm just SO glad it didn't go to PKs. Seeing the championship game of the world's biggest soccer tournament end on carnival games would've been a terrible way to end a great tournament. That'd be like the Super Bowl ending on a field goal kicking contest.

Now it's almost time for the Timbers Sounders game tonight in Seattle, right as my soccer interest is at its peak. Can't ask for better timing than that!

I just had a feeling it would be 1-0 especially with the way Argentina plays. I'm glad it didn't go to PK's either. The '94 Final at the Rose Bowl between Brazil & Italy was just awful after such a successful tournament.

5259322014.gifii4emifo9u74i1gmgadtan9dy.gif5281902012.gif

Seems I won the CCSLC ESPN bracket picking contest...bow before your new God!!!!!!!!!!

thenewgod_zpsd457aa49.jpeg

Not unless there was more than one :P

http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-bracket-predictor/2014/en/group?groupID=56310

Apparently there was. http://games.espn.go.com/world-cup-bracket-predictor/2014/en/group?groupID=34958

Don't worry. There's plenty of room on Mt. Olympus.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I just realized that Germany & Argentina have faced each other in the knockout round in 5 out of the last 8 World Cups (including this one).

Have 2 other nations met that frequently in the World Cup in recent times?

Also congrats Germany!

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Last World Cup on ESPN/ABC. Fox is gonna suck. At least they keep the Euro. Also you won't get much more friendlier time zones then this year going forward.

Gus Johnson covering World Cup games is going to be a travesty.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Last World Cup on ESPN/ABC. Fox is gonna suck. At least they keep the Euro. Also you won't get much more friendlier time zones then this year going forward.

Last World Cup also on Univision. They've covered games since Mexico 1970, so this change of Spanish broadcasters was especially disheartening for them, though I didn't like their exit montage yesterday, knowing that this World Cup is their last one for a while at least. But with Telemundo getting Russia 2018, at least we all get to listen to Andres Cantor again.

And I agree, ESPN benefited big time by the Brazilian time zone for their American coverage, and that won't be the case for FOX in 2018 in Russia. But between Gus Johnson and Eric Wynalda, FOX's attempt to dumb-down the sport of soccer to grab the attention of short-attention-spanned causal American fans will cost them (whereas ESPN was brilliant in securing foreign media talent to explain the sport of football the correct way).

Hence why FOX's coverage of next year's Women's World Cup in Canada will be closely observed and say a lot about their eventual coverage of Russia 2018.

Last World Cup also on Univision. They've covered games since Mexico 1970, so this change of Spanish broadcasters was especially disheartening for them, though I didn't like their exit montage yesterday, knowing that this World Cup is their last one for a while at least. But with Telemundo getting Russia 2018, at least we all get to listen to Andres Cantor again.

And I agree, ESPN benefited big time by the Brazilian time zone for their American coverage, and that won't be the case for FOX in 2018 in Russia. But between Gus Johnson and Eric Wynalda, FOX's attempt to dumb-down the sport of soccer to grab the attention of short-attention-spanned causal American fans will cost them (whereas ESPN was brilliant in securing foreign media talent to explain the sport of football the correct way).

Hence why FOX's coverage of next year's Women's World Cup in Canada will be closely observed and say a lot about their eventual coverage of Russia 2018.

Oh god, not Gus Johnson calling soccer games again! I watched a couple of games with him calling them and he was downright awful.

Archived