2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

The passion in soccer rich cities greatly overwhelm the passion of North American sports fans. You have for example the Yankees Red Sox rivalries. Where when either team loses, fans go home, sleep it off and move on to the next game. For example, my team Celtic, they have a history with another team called Rangers. When those teams play each other, people don't just go and sleep it off, they go out to the streets and start fighting anyone wearing the wrong colours. Back in the day, it was assured that when they played each other, people end up in the hospital, or people die, and then have to live with the agony of that loss for a whole week or until they play again. My grandma who comes from a celtic rich family, married a rangers supporter, was shunned by her entire family for 40 years and seemingly forced to move to canada because of the abuse she'd take for being "a traitor" . Over a :censored:ing soccer team. Like, I get Leafs/Habs fan getting rowdy after a game, but not to the point of shunning/disowning family members, smuggling in meat cleavers into a game with the intention of killing someone who has the balls to wear the wrong colours in a building, throwing potatoes stuffed with razor blades at away fans, or quitting your job just to see your favorite team play a game. In countries like Scotland, England, Brazil etc, they take passion to the whole next level, some even treat a team as the most important part of their life. I have never seen anything like the atmosphere, and the passion of soccer fans on game day anywhere else. I'm not really hating on NA sports fans, I'm just sayin that in some countries soccer is more than just a game, it truly is a way of life

That seems crazy that your grandma's family would shun her for marrying a Rangers fan. Are you sure they didn't shun her because she married a Protestant?

That was the first thing I thought of as well, unless that was what he was implying.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In FIFA news, Nigeria is suspended from international football after the NFF was dissolved last week and replaced with a sole administrator. The Nigerian government have be alleged of interfering in the NFF. The ban means no Nigerian team - including club sides - can play internationally.

If Germany loses on Sunday, this generation of Die Mannscheft will go down as one of the biggest underachieving choking generations in futbol history.

Only 2 tropies in nearly 30 years- as great as yesterday was for them, it'll be moot if they blow another big game. Just like Spain/Italy the last 2 WC semifinals.

Ok, soccer haters... this is the kind of game that even soccer lovers are bored by. This is awful. Thankfully, there have been few of these types of games in this World Cup.

^Even though Higuain hit the side netting anyway?

No, replay showed that it went in.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As much as I want the Dutch to win so we can have an all-European final and an all-South American third place match, I think that van Gaal's holding out on using his third sub (so he can sub in Krul for PKs) is what's going to kill the Oranje in extra time. He really needs to substitute Huntelaar for van Persie, who has a strange case of stage fright in World Cup knockout rounds. I know he wants Krul for PKs but first he's gotta get to PKs, and van Persie isn't helping at all, really. Huntelaar could be the difference, but van Gaal will hope that the two defensive subs he made can hold Argentina and get his team into PKs where Krul can dominate (ideally).

25yzwqg.png

Pick: Argentina over Holland on pk's.

OK Argentina prove me right.
Good pick.

That loss is on van Gaal. If you're gonna bring in Huntelaar instead of holding out for Krul, you've gotta take risks in extra time in order to find that winning goal. But the Dutch didn't take risks, so bringing in Huntelaar proved pointless, and Cillessen disappoints in PKs. With Krul, it would have at least been a closer PK session.

25yzwqg.png

Ok, soccer haters... this is the kind of game that even soccer lovers are bored by. This is awful. Thankfully, there have been few of these types of games in this World Cup.

^Even though Higuain hit the side netting anyway?

No, replay showed that it went in.

What? No it didn't. Watch the Dutch goalkeeper grab the ball from outside the net.

Archived