If the Jags helmets were all black, how would you grade their uniforms?

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The set they wore before Reebok's first major change was still easily their best set ever. Had they just kept that and switched to the black helmets with teal flakes they'd be one of the best looking teams in all of football. That original prowling Jaguar was so awesome on the sleeves.

Yeah that's the thing - they simply won't be able to top that one. That one was a "contemporary classic". It's hard to evaluate their current set objectively without subconsciously comparing it to that one.

I do disagree about the teal flaked helmet though - I thought that when the teal showed, it clashed with the teal of the jersey.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

okayjags_zps44622384.png

Reposted from an earlier thread.

I like their teal numbers on the road and that hint of gold. I don't like the contrasting colored sleeves that are begging for a number or a logo. The pants treatment is weird.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The set they wore before Reebok's first major change was still easily their best set ever. Had they just kept that and switched to the black helmets with teal flakes they'd be one of the best looking teams in all of football. That original prowling Jaguar was so awesome on the sleeves.

I will go to my grave thinking the Jaguars' inaugeral look was by far their best ever. The rounded-block font is classic, while still unique to the Jaguars at that time. The custom font was a downgrade, and them tweaking the pants stripes to make black thicker was a downgrade.

As for the current set, there are some things which have potential, but there is just so much wrong with it. I think a solid black helmet takes this from "absolute clownsuit" to "bad modern uniform". From an F to a C-

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I will go to my grave thinking the Jaguars' inaugeral look was by far their best ever. The rounded-block font is classic, while still unique to the Jaguars at that time. The custom font was a downgrade, and them tweaking the pants stripes to make black thicker was a downgrade.

As for the current set, there are some things which have potential, but there is just so much wrong with it. I think a solid black helmet takes this from "absolute clownsuit" to "bad modern uniform". From an F to a C-

Agreed and agreed.

I am surprised how many people like these uniforms (sans helmet, of course). An all black (or all gold, for that matter) helmet would be able to propel these uniforms from "hands down the worst in the NFL" to "among the worst in the NFL" in my opinion. The color scheme is serviceable but I think it uses far too much black and I really don't like the sleeves and the fact that they have two outlines on the front/back numbers but only one on the TV numbers. I also am one of the few people that don't love animal head logos. I have not really like any Jags helmets. But the inaugural look was great from the neck down.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I strongly dislike the "soccer badge", as well as the weird collars, and of course, the helmet. I think the only thing that makes the Jaguars actually look good are the color scheme. Black, teal and gold is a phenominal color scheme. However, the color scheme (with or without the helmet) is the only thing keeping this look from being the worst in the NFL.

I am not a fan of the whole package. Matte helmets just don't do it for me, so even if it were all black I would not like it. The metallic gold helmet could work, but I am with those who want them to return to their 1990's uniforms (without side panels) and a black helmet.

Of course, I also think the new Seahawk uni is a monstrosity and really want them to return to the slate blue and navy uniforms (but without using a unitard combination.)

"Rounded block font"? It wasn't custom or anything - it was the same font that the 49ers used the first year of their rebrand. It was kind of a hybrid of the Champion font and standard block. Actually it's not too dissimilar from serifed MLB block, like the Royals (among other teams) used to wear (most dropped the serifs at some point.)

IMO it was the weakest part of that first jersey. The little notches in the numbers just made it look "weak" compared to the hard lines and sharp corners of the normal block. To be honest (and it probably explains why I am a part of a board like this), I was genuinely disappointed when I saw Steve Young 49ers jerseys for sale with that number style. I wanted so much to like the 49ers redesign, but that killed it for me (at least as much as the white pants did.) Fortunately, they fixed it and made it perfect.

Bill+Pecota2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rgGNHw6mh7M/R3hnD89tbgI/AAAAAAAAAbs/Y1R53fN2mro/s1600-h/Bill+Pecota2.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that, even without the helmet, the uniform is pretty weak. My guess is, if they'd had a plain black helmet all along, there would've been a lot of hate for the rest of the package. It's just that, by comparison, the helmet choice is so mind-numbingly bad it actually overshadows the flaws of the rest of the uniform. The sleeves, the chest badge, the clunky panels on the pants, the insistence on wearing black monochrome, the dark socks on dark pants? All horrible decisions IMO .

"Rounded block font"? It wasn't custom or anything - it was the same font that the 49ers used the first year of their rebrand. It was kind of a hybrid of the Champion font and standard block. Actually it's not too dissimilar from serifed MLB block, like the Royals (among other teams) used to wear (most dropped the serifs at some point.)

IMO it was the weakest part of that first jersey. The little notches in the numbers just made it look "weak" compared to the hard lines and sharp corners of the normal block. To be honest (and it probably explains why I am a part of a board like this), I was genuinely disappointed when I saw Steve Young 49ers jerseys for sale with that number style. I wanted so much to like the 49ers redesign, but that killed it for me (at least as much as the white pants did.) Fortunately, they fixed it and made it perfect.

Bill+Pecota2.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rgGNHw6mh7M/R3hnD89tbgI/AAAAAAAAAbs/Y1R53fN2mro/s1600-h/Bill+Pecota2.jpg

Yeah, I know "rounded block" isn't the best description, but I didn't know quite what to call it. It certainly has a more rounded look to the edges than most block fonts. That's a font which I believe was used a lot in the 50's and 60's in colleges. I think it works great as a block font - it's not an unnecessary custom font, and it's unique enough to be different than standard blocks. I didn't like that font for the 49ers; I think it's a font which looks great for some teams, but doesn't work for all. It's much like the Champion font in that way - as that font looks perfect for the Bills and Bengals, but wrong for the Colts and Saints.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think that, even without the helmet, the uniform is pretty weak. My guess is, if they'd had a plain black helmet all along, there would've been a lot of hate for the rest of the package. It's just that, by comparison, the helmet choice is so mind-numbingly bad it actually overshadows the flaws of the rest of the uniform. The sleeves, the chest badge, the clunky panels on the pants, the insistence on wearing black monochrome, the dark socks on dark pants? All horrible decisions IMO .

I think this is a good point. There's just so much wrong with the uniform that is overshadowed by the helmet being unimaginably bad. However, I will say that I see some things about the uniform which aren't completely terrible and might work under better circumstances. Compare that to the new Dolphins' set, which maybe isn't as bad, but doesn't have a single redeeming quality in my mind.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

When they where unveiled, I thought the only thing bringing the uniform down was the helmet. But the more games I see of the Jags, the more I think the helmet has grown on me, and now I think the Jags have a solid look all around. I like the idea of a solid matte black helmet for the Jags, but what if they replaced the gold in the helmet with teal?

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-sta

I think this is a good point. There's just so much wrong with the uniform that is overshadowed by the helmet being unimaginably bad. However, I will say that I see some things about the uniform which aren't completely terrible and might work under better circumstances. Compare that to the new Dolphins' set, which maybe isn't as bad, but doesn't have a single redeeming quality in my mind.

After having the unfortunate experience of seeing a bit of the game last night these uniforms are by far one of the worst ever right up there with the BIlls old set. There's no way anyone in their right mind can prefer the current set to the 01-03 set. Only thing I would change is to switch the black helmet with last season's teal flake. You simply can't get better than that for the JAGS so stop trying.

I am surprised how many people like these uniforms (sans helmet, of course). An all black (or all gold, for that matter) helmet would be able to propel these uniforms from "hands down the worst in the NFL" to "among the worst in the NFL" in my opinion.

Mine as well. Fixing the helmet would take care of the top entry, but the list of problems with this uniform would still be long.

I just realized something else I hate about this uniform and I didn't want to leave anything out. Those stupid reflective panels on the shoulders. Shiny black and/or white elements placed on not quite as shiny black or white fields? And the point of those is what, exactly?

I just realized something else I hate about this uniform and I didn't want to leave anything out. Those stupid reflective panels on the shoulders. Shiny black and/or white elements placed on not quite as shiny black or white fields? And the point of those is what, exactly?

that actually is the most puzzling part of the whole uniform. you see what they were going for with everything else, but those pieces make zero sense

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived