NBA Changes 2014-15 Season

Conrad.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cavs' gold and navy alts could be immensely improved by spelling out "CAVALIERS" or "CLEVELAND" like the primary home/roads instead of going with the giant, ugly "CAVS" wordmark. I'm just not a fan of shortened team nicknames on jerseys.

Speaking of the navy alts, they haven't been worn since the opener. Wonder if they're holding off now until the jerseys hit retail in February?

I actually really like those. No sleeves is a huge plus. Simple but fitting with today's fashion trends. I enjoy the stars being on the left side of the jersey for the west, and the right for the east. I'm sure a lot of people will tear these apart, but they are visually appealing without being overdone sleeved messes.

Queens: a pattern inspired by the stainless steel orbit rings of the borough’s iconic Unisphere that was built for the 1964 World’s Fair at Flushing Meadows – Corona Park

Staten Island: a wave pattern to signify its surrounding waters

Manhattan: a taxi-cab checkered pattern represents the pace and energy of the world’s most cosmopolitan city

The Bronx: a vinyl record pattern to pay homage to the birthplace of hip-hop and the rich musical legacy of New York City

Brooklyn: a brick pattern inspired by the iconic brownstone houses and buildings that make up the neighborhoods of the city’s most populous borough

333.gif

Now as to the original post that set me off, it's basically the problem with modern logo design in a nutshell. Every single flippin' element of a logo or a logo package has to MEAN SOMETHING. "It just looks good" doesn't work. It has to symbolize "action" or the designer's passion or that once ago the community had to recover from a catastrophic distillery fire or how the artist wouldn't know a pink snow bunny if it came up and bit him on the ass. Of course nowadays, this need for symbolism has grown into a tumor, so we have people concocting bizarre symbolism or rewriting history to justify bad design choices. So when you say "they angled the building to show action, because action means this..." well, that's a blatant example of the problem in modern design.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived