2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Giving up more prospects is the opposite of what they should be doing. The farm system is dried up, and none of this is helping the awful offense. It's hard to trust Sabean on everything when he gave up Zach Wheeler for two months of Beltran.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the situation with the Sportsnet LA Dodgers thing?

Is it a paid/local blackout thing? Because I've gotten some Dodgers game up here in Canada on Sportsnet West (no relation that I know of).

1. A lot of companies use the whole "SportsNet" nomenclature (TWC, Rogers, Comcast). It's not related to the Canadian venture; it's operated by the folks from Time Warner.

2. To help offset the exorbitant $2 billion price tag the Guggenheim group paid for the Dodgers, they made a deal with Time Warner to form a Dodgers-exclusive cable channel, "TWC SportsNet LA." At $8.5 billion for 25 years, all non-nationally televised Dodger games, along with all other media (archives, interviews, team analysis) are exclusive to this channel.

The problem is that TWC is asking other cable/satellite providers for a $5-6 surcharge on their customers for the channel (whose re-transmission fee is on par with ESPN, which is a national sports network), even though some people don't watch baseball. DirecTV didn't abide, and then all other providers jumped on their bandwagon. So instead of Time Warner, the Dodgers and all other cable companies getting together to re-negotiate, the channel doesn't exist to 70% of Southern California cable subscribers, and thus, very few people can watch Dodger games.

And MLB.tv doesn't help either. Dodger fans who are subscribers in Los Angeles are still blacked-out because of MLB broadcasting rules (all MLB games can be seen through a paid subscription except local games, which can be seen through your local channel). It's either know someone from outside Southern California who has an MLB.tv account, or endure the blackouts in humiliating fashion.

What's the situation with the Sportsnet LA Dodgers thing?

Is it a paid/local blackout thing? Because I've gotten some Dodgers game up here in Canada on Sportsnet West (no relation that I know of).

1. A lot of companies use the whole "SportsNet" nomenclature (TWC, Rogers, Comcast). It's not related to the Canadian venture; it's operated by the folks from Time Warner.

2. To help offset the exorbitant $2 billion price tag the Guggenheim group paid for the Dodgers, they made a deal with Time Warner to form a Dodgers-exclusive cable channel, "TWC SportsNet LA." At $8.5 billion for 25 years, all non-nationally televised Dodger games, along with all other media (archives, interviews, team analysis) are exclusive to this channel.

The problem is that TWC is asking other cable/satellite providers for a $5-6 surcharge on their customers for the channel (whose re-transmission fee is on par with ESPN, which is a national sports network), even though some people don't watch baseball. DirecTV didn't abide, and then all other providers jumped on their bandwagon. So instead of Time Warner, the Dodgers and all other cable companies getting together to re-negotiate, the channel doesn't exist to 70% of Southern California cable subscribers, and thus, very few people can watch Dodger games.

And MLB.tv doesn't help either. Dodger fans who are subscribers in Los Angeles are still blacked-out because of MLB broadcasting rules (all MLB games can be seen through a paid subscription except local games, which can be seen through your local channel). It's either know someone from outside Southern California who has an MLB.tv account, or endure the blackouts in humiliating fashion.

And I get it for free whenever Canadian Sportsnet has it's late baseball game.

IbjBaeE.png

media_5997c26230f14c3a81b7c7ff5b5cc613_t

It's pretty clear that this is a heartbreaking picture. I like both the Giants and the Reds and also the Cardinals. Heck, if both teams qualify for the playoffs, I won't mind seeing them battle it out. But the Reds should'nt be facing heartbreak like this every year.

It's pretty clear that this is a heartbreaking picture. I like both the Giants and the Reds and also the Cardinals. Heck, if both teams qualify for the playoffs, I won't mind seeing them battle it out. But the Reds should'nt be facing heartbreak like this every year.

What's so heartbreaking about this picture?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Every team that is able to make it to the post season should be happy, even if they get eliminated there is nothing heart breaking about it, unless it's the World Series and you were

expected to win it all.

So a team like the 2012 Reds in the picture should be happy they're there even though they blew a lead?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Every team that is able to make it to the post season should be happy, even if they get eliminated there is nothing heart breaking about it, unless it's the World Series and you were

expected to win it all.

So a team like the 2012 Reds in the picture should be happy they're there even though they blew a lead?

Oh, they choked? Hell, that's not heartbreaking at all. Summon the aid of a different deity next time Reds player.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's heartbreaking to watch because the series was in the Reds' hands, but I like how the Giants took care of the rest. However, it's still a heartbreaking picture.

It's heartbreaking to watch because the series was in the Reds' hands, but I like how the Giants took care of the rest. However, it's still a heartbreaking picture.

What's your point? The picture is from almost two years ago. In retrospect, the Reds have been more mediocre than their accolades have said over the last five years. The Giants fell from the penthouse in 2012 to the basement last year, only to try climbing back up this season.

If you want to create a "most heartbreaking sports pictures" thread where you label pictures from 3-4 years ago, then by all means go ahead and do that. But this is a thread of current baseball news, so...

What's your point? The picture is from almost two years ago. In retrospect, the Reds have been more mediocre than their accolades have said over the last five years. The Giants fell from the penthouse in 2012 to the basement last year, only to try climbing back up this season.

If you want to create a "most heartbreaking sports pictures" thread where you label pictures from 3-4 years ago, then by all means go ahead and do that. But this is a thread of current baseball news, so...

My point is that you sense lingering anguish inside the Reds' organization from that day. My friend told me, the day that the Reds lost that series, their championship window closed.

9-22-12_Reds_trophy-x-large.jpg460x.jpg

Archived