Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously think the Kings just lost the series tonight. Chicago was on the ropes and we blew it. Unbelievable.

You still have two games left. As much as I'd like that to be true, you can't say things like that in hockey.

This isn't basketball, games aren't predetermined in the NHL.

I :censored:ing love this sport. I don't care that all the accumulated stress is shortening my life.

I :censored:ing love this sport.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm not sure what we all did to deserve this rich honor of getting another Chicago-Los Angeles game, but I'm certainly not going to complain.

Brandon Saad was bloody excellent tonight. What a gem his game was.

Ehh, at that point in time, I'm not exactly sure you can say Hiller was much better than Lindback. Towards the end of the season, Hiller was looking like Marc-Andre Fleury in a playoff game against the Flyers...

Anyways, I just thought that, of all people to point out the Ducks' failures, it probably shouldn't be you since your favorite team had nothing to do with the Ducks' loss, nor did your favorite team do any better than the Ducks.

Just to cycle back on this, let me get this straight:

Because of what happened to the hockey team that I root for, on the other side of the continent, that means I'm not allowed, per se, to post some basic facts? Because that's my main takeaway with that kind of logic. The Lightning played like turd against the Habs and lost; yippee. I'm still not sure how in the world that that matters when we're talking about how Chicago and Anaheim have fared in their playoff matchups with Los Angeles this year, nor am I sure how the Lightning's playoff run prohibits me from observing and commenting on that.

spacer.png

Still wanna kill Handzus, Andy?

Call off the firing squad for Handzus, Andy.

This series is heading back to LA.

I still hate Handzus, so I'll give him as little credit as humanly possible. Saad is the real hero tonight.

That being said I love the win but the prospect of playing in LA again isn't a fun one. The Staples Center will be full of "crawwwwwforrrrd" chanting rectal warts. I'm gonna be stressing but that's the playoffs.

Go Oilers!

Cujo is probably the worst human on this board

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I seriously think the Kings just lost the series tonight. Chicago was on the ropes and we blew it. Unbelievable.

You still have two games left. As much as I'd like that to be true, you can't say things like that in hockey.

This isn't basketball, games aren't predetermined in the NHL.

Game 6 is basically Game 7 for the Kings, as I don't see us winning an actual Game 7 in Chicago, so it's essentially just one game left. And with the way Quick fumbles the puck and gives up juicy rebounds every time he plays the Blackhawks, we basically need our whole offense to bail him out all game. That's a lot to ask coming off an exhausting 2OT chokejob loss.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Emotion can only carry you so far. It's one thing to push yourself back from a 3-1 deficit. It's another to win a second game after leaving everything you have on the ice for 85+ minutes only to get on a plane and head to the other side of the country knowing you have two more of those ahead of you.

Plus, Crawford's road playoff record doesn't exactly breathe confidence.

VmWIn6B.png

Mr. Dramatic Negative Nancy chimes in with another positive gem. If sports give you such a negative attitude, why do you even bother watching them?

"Wah, the Kings just lost a very competitive game in double-OT. There goes the Cup!"

"Wah, the Chargers are forever covered in Norv stench."

"Wah, the Rays can't keep up with the Yankees and Red Sox because of money."

"Wah, the Clippers are cursed!"

"Wah, Boise State can't get respect."

And "we"....you didn't give two craps about the Kings until they won the Cup.

Again, the Kings just lost a game in double-OT that was going back-and-forth. They took the Blackhawks' best punch and it took them 2 OT's to lose. And this very well may be, to date, the best game of the entire 2014 playoffs.

The Kings have nothing to worry about.

Game 6 is basically Game 7 for the Kings, as I don't see us winning an actual Game 7 in Chicago, so it's essentially just one game left. And with the way Quick fumbles the puck and gives up juicy rebounds every time he plays the Blackhawks, we basically need our whole offense to bail him out all game. That's a lot to ask coming off an exhausting 2OT chokejob loss.

This logic extends in basketball better because home teams win Game 7 at a much higher rate than road teams because the inherent nature of basketball means the better team is likely to win on any given day.

This doesn't work nearly as well in hockey. Lets look at some Game 7 results in this playoff year alone:

Philadelphia vs. New York - 2-1 Rangers

Minnesota vs. Colorado - 5-4 Wild F/OT

Los Angeles vs. San Jose - 5-1 Kings

Montreal vs. Boston - 3-1 Canadiens

New York vs. Pittsburgh - 2-1 Rangers

Los Angeles vs. Anaheim - 6-2 Kings (FFS, you just saw the Kings win a road Game 7)

The road team is 4-1 in Game 7. Furthermore, Los Angeles has already won a game at the UC in this series and they definitely could've won tonight, too. Now, is LA going to be favored if this goes 7? No, but the fact is that, at this point in time, LA only has to win half their remaining potential games while Chicago has to win 100% of their remaining potential games. The odds are in favor of the Kings.

EDIT - yeah, thanks for that reminder ninersdd and Hedley.

spacer.png

Archived