Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any new gear been released yet? I'm willing to become a bandwagon Bucks fan to sport that diagonal Bucks logo.

Only at the Bradley Center new Bucks Pro Shop until the season is over, then it will be available online https://twitter.com/bucksproshop

And only the main logo will be used on the apparel. Stuff with the other logos and word marks will be released after the Bucks last playoff game.

That sucks. I was hoping Kohls would get some new stuff pretty quick.

Are you mentioning Kohls because of Herb Kohl the pervious owner? Because he has no connection to the team anymore (except $100M for the new arena)

Kohls is a department store.

I know that, but the previous Bucks owner, Herb Kohl, used to own Kohls department stores.

JeKhnr9.png

Yeah, but not for something like twenty-five years.

Would using the "great lakes blue" on all the logos been some kind of hardship? Also, what was wrong with the previous the logo?

It's not needed on the other logos. No need to force it.

And tons. Scroll back a few pages and you'll see lots of criticism of the steroid-necked, dead-eyed, static deer-in-the-headlights.

Has any new gear been released yet? I'm willing to become a bandwagon Bucks fan to sport that diagonal Bucks logo.

Only at the Bradley Center new Bucks Pro Shop until the season is over, then it will be available online https://twitter.com/bucksproshop

And only the main logo will be used on the apparel. Stuff with the other logos and word marks will be released after the Bucks last playoff game.

That sucks. I was hoping Kohls would get some new stuff pretty quick.

Are you mentioning Kohls because of Herb Kohl the pervious owner? Because he has no connection to the team anymore (except $100M for the new arena)

Kohls is a department store.

I know that, but the previous Bucks owner, Herb Kohl, used to own Kohls department stores.

I just meant that they normally carry all kinds of team apparel. Brewers, Packers, Badgers, Marquette. Just wondering how soon they'll get some of this new Bucks gear in. Looks like we may be waiting awhile.

Really terrible, as I said earlier... There's nothing more to say. No uniform design will salvage this identity. It especially hurts when they pull a Cleveland and switch to this from the league's top caliber and all-around great identity.

On the process sketches -- I'm amazed how bad all the other deer sketches are. So it turns out the weak (compared to the one it's replacing) deer they went with was the best of the bunch! On a positive note, one thing I really liked, though, was the way the antlers were depicted tilted forwards along with the head in a couple of the iterations -- they were drawn very well in that position. If they were going to replace the current buck head, which they totally shouldn't have, that was the way to go.

Really terrible, as I said earlier... There's nothing more to say. No uniform design will salvage this identity. It especially hurts when they pull a Cleveland and switch to this from the league's top caliber and all-around great identity.

That may be the first time I've ever seen that opinion expressed. Even among Bucks fans and employees, naturally inclined to extend the benefit of the doubt.

What the Bucks had wasn't great, but could have been salvaged and made into something great: lose the deer in headlights, lose the silver beveling, arch the wordmarks. The new deer head is pretty good, but the horrendous typeface and color scheme ruin it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That may be the first time I've ever seen that opinion expressed. Even among Bucks fans and employees, naturally inclined to extend the benefit of the doubt.

I always loved the current identity, everything was right about it, from the primary and secondary logos to the colors, font and the uniforms - everything was on point. I even wasn't happy when they changed the "BuckS" script to unicase.

I'm a bit surprised at the number of people on here who don't like the color scheme. I think the cream and green go really well together and the blue and green has made for some really nice looks for Tulane's football team throughout the years.

As for the logos, I'm down with the majority of it outside of the M. That thing just does not look pretty. But the thing that sticks out to me is that all of the logos figure to lend themselves well to merchandising. Marc Lasry in particular has been outspoken about the lack of gear and merchandise associated with the Bucks and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he went to the designers with the Brooklyn Nets logo (that has been subsequently printed on millions of hats and shirts) and asked for something as similarly accessible. Hence the roundel logo and some of the shield logo sketches that have made the rounds. You can throw that tertiary logo on a black hat and it could sell.

These owners are shrewd businessmen if nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they soon announce that they'll play a couple of exhibition games in Madison and/or Green Bay to try and reintroduce and re-engage their profile throughout the state.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

I still believe the new one looks to robotic. Antlers look like they turn in to eye brows. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out next year with the full brand. It's definitely an upgrade, especially with colors. I'm also not 100% on the weird M logo.

Agreed, so angular.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

OK. As always with me. Showing is easier than telling. What I've done here is first...play with the color swatches. Darker green. Also just took an eye dropper tool in a very unsophisticated manner to a photo of the Marquette Interchange. Why? It's blue and cream. It's not actual cream city brick (which varies in tone wildly) but a designers (paint) take on the scheme. The result is a warmer more even cream and a steelier blue.

Now, I'm not saying my palette is the end all, be all. I'm saying the designers themselves SAY they wanted a different palette. And I'm simply trying to show that this fact matters. Look at the blue pop. Secondly, antler ball is dumb. I went with a more traditional ball and put some highlights and shadows on it to create interest but more importantly to bring the other colors in to the rest of the mark.

Lastly, I made the Door Peninsula a little more accurate up by Green Bay. No idea why they snubbed it off like that. Lame.

So I don't post this as a referendum on how awesome I am. I post this to illustrate in my view, how much can be gained through rounds of revision, and patience and not putting out a project in six weeks. I think this is a million times better. And it's not even my idea so I get no reflected credit or glory in saying that. I'm saying Goramnit Bucks. This stuff is worth the time and effort!

(/insert 4 comments about how they like the original better than mine) sigh.

Bucks_WI_zpshkkh46w3.jpg

Like a freight train with stickum

Also. While I'm at it. I took some time to play with the idea of their primary buck head. I'm not so sure it even needed to have a face. perhaps more of a silhouette would have worked. SO while playing with silhouette ideas (which admittedly don't really click yet)...it looks like the Larry O'Brien trophy a little...:-)

Anyways while playing with these fledgling ideas that aren't working I think I did hit upon something in the antlers. Only I didn't need to craft hypothetical/mythological antlers to do it like these Brooklyn guys did.

No, I used the OLD ANTLERS...I flipped the brow tines for ball seams like they did....then use line breaks to show how the antlers interact in space....that the front two come forward toward the viewer.

The result is that the inner tines harken to the shape of a ball (like the new Bucks logo) and the outter biggest anter ends up almost looking like the rim. It's got kind of a Heat or old Nets vibe to it....all while sticking anatomically much closer to reality. I think these antlers look really neat.

So....again. Not about me. I didn't come up with the old Bucks antlers OR the idea to make them hint at a ball. It's about the time these things take and what might have been.

Antler_Ball_ideas_zpsn7zvgbem.jpg

Like a freight train with stickum

Archived