Milwaukee Bucks Unveil New Logos/Colors, Jerseys & Court

mgdmhl

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The primary logo I think its a bit of a downgrade IMO, but still much better then what they had in their green and purple days, so by no means am I arguing it for worst look in the league either.

Two things I don't like about it. The dropping of the red and the angrier looking Buck. If you brought those two elements back I would be fully on board.

What I do like about the change are the alternate logos. I think the Wisconsin logo is brilliant. The blue throw me off a bit at first but once you explain that its the water borders for the state it brings it into context. I'm not aware of any team that does something like that and I think its a really unique look in every way that's positive.

The circular logo is solid as well. From afar it doesn't look like much but up close you start to see the subtle details with the basketball design stand out more. Font logo is nice as well.

We'll see what the uniforms look like. I don't have any expectations. Just hope its nothing too crazy or too simplistic. If the logos are any indication it will try to strike a compromise between the two, which is my hope.

Overall I just wish they would have kept the primary and swapped in the two alternates, but I'm okay with the change.

I still think there's too much open space on the left and right sides of the Buck itself. I don't know what they could've added there, but it feels like something needs to be there.

Agreed. All that white (cream) space seems especially off given how cramped the wordmark and the double outline look in that roundel.

I'm coming around to the new buck. imo not a definite improvement, but not bad either.

The state outline logo captures the fauxback feel that their color scheme signals they're shooting for, but idk how much I buy into it.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I LOVE the new logos and color scheme! I'm glad that they're not taking steps backwards by reverting back to some old logo or uniform (I'm talking about you, overrated Irish rainbow uniforms), but instead they are going with a fresh, clean, original look. Huge upgrade, in my opinion.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Great job by Conrad for his mockups of the logo

Pr3ECLU.jpg

The released one is on the left, Conrad's on the right.

Very close to the real deal, nicely done.

I like Conrad's better!

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I really can't understand the reason to drop red to add a color they've never worn. Just swap red and blue, and it couldh have been a great update on the brand.

I feel the same way. The new scheme still looks good, but it's kind of ironic that they're going with a very vintage-based logo while using a color combo that's not part of their history.

And dropping the red in favor of the duotone is making me think of the Sonics a bit. Brighten up the beige a few notches, and you've got Sonics colors.

So, the Bucks are now the San Diego Padres. A largely middling franchise which has gone through many different color schemes, most uninspiring (including the present one), which seems uneasy with looking good or being settled. The right Bucks color scheme was green and red. The second choice is Irish rainbow. These aren't good, and even worse, it's another damn color scheme for the Bucks. What did Bucks fans want? I can't say for sure, but I'm certain it wasn't green with beige.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Paul Lukas' of Uni-Watch/ESPN take on the new logos

The Milwaukee Bucks will have a new look next season, beginning with a new logo set and a fresh color scheme.

Details of the team's new visual program were unveiled Monday night at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. A few elements had been shown in a teaser video released earlier this month, and some other details had leaked on Twitter over the past two weeks, but this marked the first official confirmation of the team's redesign. New uniforms will follow in June.

And therein lies the rub -- it's frustrating when a team unveils only certain parts of its new design while keeping the uniforms under wraps. Everything that's been unveiled so far was developed within the larger context of the Bucks' new uniform set, so it's difficult to assess the various components in isolation. (And for what it's worth, the feeling here at Uni Watch HQ is that the new uniforms are very good -- better than the logos -- and will be a big hit when they're unveiled in June.)

That said, here are the details and thoughts on what's been unveiled so far:

The colors

The Bucks are going with green and cream, with blue and black being used for accents and trim. The use of cream -- an unusual choice -- reflects Milwaukee's nickname, "the Cream City," which was inspired by the pale yellow bricks used in many of the city's buildings.

Uni Watch's take: Love it. Green and cream are an inspired pairing, and the blue is used judiciously and effectively. Well done.

The primary and secondary logos

The team's familiar deer's head logo has been reimagined. The inner antlers suggest the shape of a basketball and the chest looks like an "M," both of which appear in the new secondary logo.

Uni Watch's take: A mixed bag. The new deer has more character than the old one, but the slanted eyes feel like too much of a "tough mascot" cliché. And while the basketball within the antlers is a nice touch, the ball-based secondary logo feels a bit generic. Similarly, incorporating the "M" into the deer's chest is clever, but the "M" logo by itself looks more like a minor league baseball logo.

The tertiary logo

Here we have a stylized shape of Wisconsin with the team name shown in diagonal lettering. The strips of blue show the areas where the state is bordered by water.

Uni Watch's take: Very nice. Here's hoping this logo gets a lot of use in the team's marketing and promotional campaigns.

The typeface

While the rest of the sports world is going with pointlessly eccentric typefaces that are often hard to read, the Bucks have opted for a straightforward block font. In addition to being used on the logos, this font will also be used for the team's new uniforms, due to be unveiled in about two months.

Uni Watch's take: Kudos for keeping it simple. But here's a little nugget of what might have been: At one point the design team tinkered with giving the type a drop shadow. We wish they had stuck with that -- it looks so good!

Overall, a solid B seems like a fair grade for what we've seen so far. But that grade will go up when the uniforms are unveiled.

Stay tuned -- tomorrow we'll have a comprehensive behind-the-scenes look at how the Bucks' redesign was developed.

JeKhnr9.png

My issue with the blue is that I thought Wisconsin didn't have a blue collar workforce any more.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived