Rebranding the Washington Redskins

borner1996

One thing i don't want to see is them pulling a Syracuse. Imagine the Washington Red

Washington Reds wouldn't sound terrible though. That way, they could update the "R" logo as well.

Also, I'm gonna leave mcrosby's Washington Redtails concept here. IMO, this could work pretty well in real life.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92545-washington-redtails-secondary-logo-pg-3/

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing i don't want to see is them pulling a Syracuse. Imagine the Washington Red

Washington Reds wouldn't sound terrible though. That way, they could update the "R" logo as well.

Also, I'm gonna leave mcrosby's Washington Redtails concept here. IMO, this could work pretty well in real life.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/92545-washington-redtails-secondary-logo-pg-3/

Washington Reds sounds more befitting of a team from the state of Washington, and named for apples.

spacer.png

The idea of what he's saying is exactly what I've been saying...drop the Native American references and keep the name Redskins. My alma mater, Central Michigan, did the same thing with the name Chippewas. I think though I'd go with the Vince Lombardi-esque yellow helmets with the R in a circle (drop the feathers).

Go look at what STL_ARCH MADNESS did to the redskins in his NFL rebrand series.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

Washington Musketeers.

I don't know how to design a logo on the computer, but I'd put up a head wearing a feathered cap in a circle and have two dark blue feathers with silver stems attached to the side of the circle. Kind of a blue and silver. Basically a blue and silver 18th-century take on the current Redskins logo.

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

The idea of what he's saying is exactly what I've been saying...drop the Native American references and keep the name Redskins. My alma mater, Central Michigan, did the same thing with the name Chippewas. I think though I'd go with the Vince Lombardi-esque yellow helmets with the R in a circle (drop the feathers).

There's a difference between using the name of a tribe (like Central Michigan is) and using an ethnic slur (like Washington is). As many have stated, the problem is not with the logo; the logo is a respectful depiction of a Native American (especially compared to the popsicle-red Chief Wahoo). The problem is with the name, and any half-hearted redesign that keeps the name is unacceptable. I agree with many others; Washington Americans is the way to go, maintaining the current logo.

The difference being, while "Chippewa" is a corruption of "Ojibwe", it is not a slur.

Washington Reds won't work for contemporary political reasons. Either you'll be seen as supporting Communists or the Tea Party.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I hope people realize that if the name ever changes on the uniforms that the fans will continue to call them the Redskins for several years to come.

And if the name never changes on the uniform, fans will continue to call them the Redskins forever. So, several years isn't so bad.

IUe6Hvh.png

I don't understand how it's not getting across to some people that the imagery isn't the primary problem here. The name is. The name is what has to go.

The NA imagery is secondary and can actually still be used by the organization in a respectful manner as has evidenced by the identities of other professonial sports clubs including the Chiefs, Blackhawks, and Braves.

Midway.png

Washington Redtails, Washington Senators, and Washington Braves are my ideas.

Redtails- Like the redtail planes, also was the nickname of the Tuskeegee Airmen.

Senators- self explanatory

Braves- The Redskins used to be called the less racist Braves name when they were in Boston, and Braves is just an all-around great team name

u3J7jjd.png

As someone of native American descent, the older I get, the more I come to appreciate that ancestry. So, while the Redskins name didn't bother me growing up, it does get on my nerves now. I would lump in the logo as well. True, more people seem to be irritated by the moniker than the logo, but, for me, getting rid of only one is kind of like polishing a turd. Same goes for just calling them the Reds. That said, I totally get why a wholesale change would and could be devastating to a fan base. If they changed the Bears to the Kodiaks or something, I would probably lose it, too.

But anyway, here are some options (maybe?). I'm not from the DC area, nor do I have family there, so not sure if any of this would work or if the fan base would accept them. These are based on some cursory research of the area, though.

• Braves - But rebranded for American soldiers ("home of the brave" and all), NOT the Atlanta Braves. The more I think of this, the more I really like this.
  • Soldiers
  • Troopers
  • Cavalry
  • Revolution - likely more of a New England name, but it could work, I think. And you could keep the R.
  • Fleet - it'd befit Annapolis more, I suppose, but could also work
  • Osprey
  • Sharks - after the sandbar shark in the Chesapeake
  • Foxes
  • Weasels - tongue and cheek on this one, no?
  • Bobcats - Why not? Charlotte doesn't need it anymore.
  • Lynx
  • Crabs - although, I suppose you can interpret that however you like

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

crabs is more of a maryland or baltimore thing

I know. But, like I said, cursory research. Googling "washington dc native animals" or something similar resulted in crabs (in a sense ;) ). And, c'mon, it was too funny to not include it. DC is in Maryland, too, though.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

As someone of native American descent, the older I get, the more I come to appreciate that ancestry. So, while the Redskins name didn't bother me growing up, it does get on my nerves now. I would lump in the logo as well. True, more people seem to be irritated by the moniker than the logo, but, for me, getting rid of only one is kind of like polishing a turd. Same goes for just calling them the Reds. That said, I totally get why a wholesale change would and could be devastating to a fan base. If they changed the Bears to the Kodiaks or something, I would probably lose it, too.

But anyway, here are some options (maybe?). I'm not from the DC area, nor do I have family there, so not sure if any of this would work or if the fan base would accept them. These are based on some cursory research of the area, though.

• Braves - But rebranded for American soldiers ("home of the brave" and all), NOT the Atlanta Braves. The more I think of this, the more I really like this.
  • Soldiers
  • Troopers
  • Cavalry
  • Revolution - likely more of a New England name, but it could work, I think. And you could keep the R.
  • Fleet - it'd befit Annapolis more, I suppose, but could also work
  • Osprey
  • Sharks - after the sandbar shark in the Chesapeake
  • Foxes
  • Weasels - tongue and cheek on this one, no?
  • Bobcats - Why not? Charlotte doesn't need it anymore.
  • Lynx
  • Crabs - although, I suppose you can interpret that however you like

What about the bull shark found in the Potomac?

I actually like the name "Revolution" as goes right along with the Capital.

I know a lot of mascots are named after an animal representing the area, so maybe the:

• Washington Thrushes (Official bird of D.C - Wood Thrush)
  • Washington Bats (Official mammal of Virginia - Big Eared Bat, also home to the Redskins headquarters located in Ashburn, VA

spacer.png

• 4 months later...

"Pigskins" is a little too hokey for me.

My vote is for The Washington Potomacs (which could represent the many tribes that lived along the Potomac river) so long as they get permission from the 500 or so remaining members of the Patawomeck tribe and other Native Americans.

Then you don't have to change the logo.

Washington fans/ownership seem pretty adamant about keeping something "Skins" related, so I don't know how "Potomacs" would go over with them. However, the NA community across the country would sleep a little easier if the new name was a little kinder to them

I think this could work. The university of Utah used to be called the utah Redskins and in the 70's the name was changed to the Utes with the blessing of the local tribe. The ute tribe takes great pride in being named after by the university.

Archived