2014-2015 College Basketball

JonBoy

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ztng1Gr.jpg

This design is disorienting just looking at it on my computer; I can only imagine how it'll make me feel seeing it in motion this season

I think that's the point, TBH. I was the photographer of these shots, and IMO it is pretty cool to see them in motion. Im excited to see them in person, full team, game atmosphere.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Looks like UCONN is bringing back the side stripes! From Sam Cassell Jr's instagram:

ByQmdjFCEAEoSv5.jpg

If so, they're going to look pretty good. I always wondered why they went away from the uniforms they were most associated with for a rather generic look.
Very nice, just looks like they removed the red stripe that used to run above the blue stripe at the bottom of the shorts. Overall great to see UConn and Arizona returning their late 90's looks. Time for Wake Forrest to hop on board.

Looks like UCONN is bringing back the side stripes! From Sam Cassell Jr's instagram:

ByQmdjFCEAEoSv5.jpg

If so, they're going to look pretty good. I always wondered why they went away from the uniforms they were most associated with for a rather generic look.
Very nice, just looks like they removed the red stripe that used to run above the blue stripe at the bottom of the shorts. Overall great to see UConn and Arizona returning their late 90's looks. Time for Wake Forrest to hop on board.

The red stripe is on the shorts too. Change from previous look is the arm, neck and waste band trim, as well as the updated word mark.

ByQmdjFCEAEoSv5.jpg

The red stripe is on the shorts too. Change from previous look is the arm, neck and waste band trim, as well as the updated word mark.

Not the ones on the side panels, but the ones on the bottom of the front and back of the shorts.

Sans-titre5-1024x682.jpg

Stealing Tennessee's checkerboard pattern I see ;)

They have been using that checkerboard pattern for the last 3 years as it represents the greatest horse to ever race; Secretariat. The pattern was first introduced in 2011 when the football team introduced new uniforms and here is the historical data that Nike used in those uniforms: “Nike designed the uniforms to represent the strength and stamina of Kentucky symbols like legendary head coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, the 1950 national championship team and superhorse Secretariat to give it a “classic” look.” As a tribute to Secretariat’s silks, the checkerboard pattern was introduced into the football uniform and then into the basketball uniform.

Here was the football teams introduction to the pattern:

IMG_8511.JPG

Here was the basketball teams introduction to the pattern:

uk1.jpg

Here is Secretariat's silks:

JP-SECRETARIAT-articleLarge.jpg

spacer.png

They have been using that checkerboard pattern for the last 3 years as it represents the greatest horse to ever race; Secretariat. The pattern was first introduced in 2011 when the football team introduced new uniforms and here is the historical data that Nike used in those uniforms: “Nike designed the uniforms to represent the strength and stamina of Kentucky symbols like legendary head coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, the 1950 national championship team and superhorse Secretariat to give it a “classic” look.” As a tribute to Secretariat’s silks, the checkerboard pattern was introduced into the football uniform and then into the basketball uniform.

IMG_8511.JPG

uk1.jpg

Tennessee's been using checkerboards since 1964. Maybe not "stole" but defiantly introduced it nearly 50 years after a fellow conference member.

IMG_8511.JPG

uk1.jpg

Tennessee's been using checkerboards since 1964. Maybe not "stole" but defiantly introduced it nearly 50 years after a fellow conference member.

Does tennessee get exclusive claim to the checkerboard pattern? Sure they kept it on their field/court and definitely are most associated with it but it's a rather generic geometric pattern that was somewhat commonplace in sports that fell out of favor. I would say that nike incorporating a checker pattern into the uk uniforms was a very reasonable connection for nike to make (as compared to some of their other ridiculous tie ins).

I do have some reservation with the secretariat tie in though. During the visits I've made to lexington, man o war seems to be revered more as the local legend thoroughbred but I suppose the MoW brand didn't score high enough in nike focus groups so they opted for secretariat.

Love how Kentucky uses Secretariats checkeredboard pattern. I don't care if Tennessee did it first, it actually has meaning for kentucky to do it. It's not just some team adopting it for no reason. They can both use it. It's a good pattern

As for Louisville. In true Adidas style, what the actual F***

Archived