2014 NFL Season Thread

I remember when the Vikings lost in OT on a field goal without getting the ball...important because Brett Favre was QB...and Tank came on and said "they're going to change the OT rules because Favre did not get the ball." Sure enough, they did.

Now a "national following" team loses in OT without getting the ball; this time on a TD (the only way possible). I wonder whether the rule is going to change again. I think most fans actually prefer the old rule and even more feel that the defense should be able to stop a score when a TD is required. But it still kinda leaves a strange taste in your mouth when Seattle wins a coin flip, scores, and the Packers don't touch the ball (and I was pulling for Seattle). Yeah, they let the only marginal QB left in the playoffs beat them on two straight throws, but one can hardly call it equitable.

I think they'll explore a change and not change. The truth is, there is no OT that can adequately meet the objectives of equability, remaining true to the game, and not killing players by playing too long. Unlike most other sports, football has to compromise something.

Anyway, my prediction is that it does not change, at least not now. My fear is that they change it just for the playoffs. Whatever they do, it should be consistent.

Russell Wilson has made at least the second round of the playoffs in all three of his NFL seasons, and is playing in his second Super Bowl. Yes, he has an all-time defense, but he also has never played with a true #1 receiver. How is he marginal?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is McCarthy the biggest goat? Burnett slid on that fourth interception when he could have run. The Packers offense couldn't capitalize like they could have on five turnovers. Bostick muffed the onside kick. McCarthy was the general, but the troops failed to execute.

I think there are several goats. However, being prepared & gameplanning which sealed their specific executed errors if you will falls on the HC. The buck stops with him.

I was thinking to myself when the Packers were up 3-0 & got the ball back, they should go for 7 no matter what if they get near goal line. What? Afraid of the Seahawks going back 99yrds?? Afraid of them going 65 & tying it at 3?? Please.

That second goal line stand was borrowed time & gifted.

Running deep in the 4th even as all the momentum was with Seattle. Running?? Belichick destroys the AFC time & again because the Patriots for example do not just run the clock out like it's 1985- it's 2015, & you have one of the greatest QBs of all time even with one leg. Should've attacked at least to get through midfield.

On the road with a SB ticket on the line - attack.

Or even do what ppl have suggested today hindsight - do the Andrew Luck deep throws/proxy punts. INT deep down in Seattle territory? Oh noes.

Maybe if they demanded attacks on broken Sherman, that was not a player's fault. Unreal that not a single play would try at least go at Sherman, even if it were a checkdown to make him tackle you.

So yeah, there are several silly football goat players who choked. Cumulatively? That's on the HC.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I remember when the Vikings lost in OT on a field goal without getting the ball...important because Brett Favre was QB...and Tank came on and said "they're going to change the OT rules because Favre did not get the ball." Sure enough, they did.

Now a "national following" team loses in OT without getting the ball; this time on a TD (the only way possible). I wonder whether the rule is going to change again. I think most fans actually prefer the old rule and even more feel that the defense should be able to stop a score when a TD is required. But it still kinda leaves a strange taste in your mouth when Seattle wins a coin flip, scores, and the Packers don't touch the ball (and I was pulling for Seattle). Yeah, they let the only marginal QB left in the playoffs beat them on two straight throws, but one can hardly call it equitable.

I think they'll explore a change and not change. The truth is, there is no OT that can adequately meet the objectives of equability, remaining true to the game, and not killing players by playing too long. Unlike most other sports, football has to compromise something.

Anyway, my prediction is that it does not change, at least not now. My fear is that they change it just for the playoffs. Whatever they do, it should be consistent.

I like the OT changes. I always hated that teams could win it on a FG and the other team didn't get a shot. Especially since the team with the ball wouldn't even try for the endzone. "Just in get within FG range and let's go home" was the game and it was lame.

At least now a TD/safety is the only way to win, and FGs are as good as 3 and outs. GB played that Seahwaks possession all wrong. They went run defense and Wilson beat them over the top. That shouldn't be a knock on the OT system.

Russell Wilson has made at least the second round of the playoffs in all three of his NFL seasons, and is playing in his second Super Bowl. Yes, he has an all-time defense, but he also has never played with a true #1 receiver. How is he marginal?

I love Wilson (Wisconsin and all). And I guess it depends on your definition of Marginal. His numbers are less-than-gaudy. Yeah, I really wish he had a top-10 (or even top-30) WR to throw to. Maybe he would be elite on a team with a different style. He's smart and incredibly poised and he throws some really good balls (See OT). And he's the kinda of guy you don't want to let hang around because he's resiliant; the 4 INTs did not get in his head. Brady and Rodgers, though are already hall-of-famers and his numbers are smaller than Luck's but I suppose it's unfair to declare Wilson marginal and Luck not marginal. Wilson, while he can make plays, is still a bit of a game manager and as much as I like him, he really did land in a great situation. But I retract my statement and I look forward to seeing whether or not he can reach elite when they hopefully have playmakers and likely no longer have a game-changing RB. What really bugs me though is that I should not have said that since it was not really the point of my post.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Maybe the ghost of Marlon McCree told him to go down.

Yep. As a Charger fan, that play certainly gave me flashbacks.

In fairness, the demands to change the overtime rule actually started the year before when Peyton lost in similar fashion.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm not a Russell Wilson fan, but I'll be the first to admit that the kid gets the job done. I know describing a players as "clutch" these days is akin to saying you were abducted by aliens, but Wilson is a clutch QB. Call it whatever you want, but there's no denying the kid makes the plays when the plays are needed the most.

BB52Big.jpg

Deflated balls?

That sounds more comical than sinister, personally.

That's gotta be one of the top ten biggest choke jobs in sports history.

Right up there with the '93 Bills/Oilers Wildcard.

Given the stakes, it might be worse.

Even if HOU wins that game, they were not gonna beat the Steelers/Dolphins.

Deflated balls?

That sounds more comical than sinister, personally.

Given the stakes, it might be worse.

Even if HOU wins that game, they were not gonna beat the Steelers/Dolphins.

I argue that this game was worse of a choke job than the BUF/HOU Comeback game. For starters, while BUF/HOU was a wild card game, SEA/GB had the Conference championship on the line. Buffalo's comeback started in the third quarter, while Seattle's comeback was rapidfire in the last minutes of the 4th quarter. It had much more at stake and was a much quicker comeback on Seattle's part.

Speaking of the Oilers, the last time a team won a Conference/pre-Super Bowl League championship despite their QB throwing 4 INTs or more was the 1961 AFL Championship game, in which the Oilers defeated the San Diego Chargers 10-3 despite QB (and placekicker) George Blanda throwing 5 INTs.

☦ICXC NIKA

I'm not a Russell Wilson fan, but I'll be the first to admit that the kid gets the job done. I know describing a players as "clutch" these days is akin to saying you were abducted by aliens, but Wilson is a clutch QB. Call it whatever you want, but there's no denying the kid makes the plays when the plays are needed the most.

Russell Wilson is far from the best physical Quarterback in the NFL, but he has a lot of guts and smarts and just knows how to win and when he struggles he knows how to not get too down and battle back.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

In fairness, the demands to change the overtime rule actually started the year before when Peyton lost in similar fashion.

Only difference is that the NFL addressed overtime coin-toss winners half-assing the extra frame by kicking the game-winning field goal on their 1st possession (Saints in 2009 NFC Title Game), not wanting to score a touchdown for real. Today's rules would have rendered the same outcome in that 2008 Colts-Chargers AFC Wildcard Game.

How is McCarthy the biggest goat? Burnett slid on that fourth interception when he could have run. The Packers offense couldn't capitalize like they could have on five turnovers. Bostick muffed the onside kick. McCarthy was the general, but the troops failed to execute.

Granted, I didn't watch much of the postgame or highlights shows last night, but is this getting more mention than I've heard? It's not like the game was out of reach at this point. There were 5 minutes left still. He gave himself up.

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. It gave the Packers those few extra seconds they needed to get the tying FG. But yeah, any sort of substantial return and the possibility of getting points trumps sliding.

That's gotta be one of the top ten biggest choke jobs in sports history.

Right up there with the '93 Bills/Oilers Wildcard.

Don't worry; the Oilers/Titans got their revenge against Buffalo through the "Music City Miracle."

What goes around, comes around.

You're both right. Had Buffalo won that SB year, they'd have won the karma.

lols Bills

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Russell Wilson is far from the best physical Quarterback in the NFL, but he has a lot of guts and smarts and just knows how to win and when he struggles he knows how to not get too down and battle back.

I think this is his best quality. I've never seen him get too up or down in any situation. The only time I've seen him really lean too far in one direction is when he cried after this last game. Considering the circumstances, I could understand the emotion.

Archived