Worst coach in your city in the last 25 years?

Hat Boy

Bring Back The Vet's mini rants on Andy Reid and Ritchie Kotite got me thinking--who do you consider the worst pro coach in your city over the past 25 years?

In Boston, it is hard to argue against Bobby Valentine. He only lasted a season, but he was out of his freakin' mind--he had no idea how to manage people.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bengals

No brainer on this one. It's David Shula. 90% of the reason he was hired was because Mike Brown, the son of a hall of fame coach, saw himself in this kid who was also the son of a hall of fame coach. He went 19-52, which is remarkable in that it is a terrible record, but also because he lasted 4 and a half seasons despite that terrible record. He went 5-11, 3-13, 3-13, 7-9 which MB thought was good enough to save his job for another season and then 1-6 which was finally good enough to get fired. The Bengals are the hardest team in NFL to get fired from.

Reds

There's not a lot of bad ones to choose from. First instinct says Dusty Baker, but it's hard to say Dusty Baker because he won a couple division championships and added another playoff appearance on top of that so he's out. I remember hating Ray Knight, although his record in 1.5 seasons isn't as bad as I remember. I guess Ray Knight. I was also not a fan of Jerry Narron.

Blue Jackets

Scott Arniel. The guy was weird with players, developed and held grudges for no reason, couldn't handle the relatively easy pressure of the Columbus market, and was lost behind the bench. He always looked like he had no idea what to do. He started like 14-6 in his first season, but once he lost the team he really lost them. And once he lost the fans he really lost the fans. They fired him after a year and a half and that felt overdue. I've never seen a guy go from coaching savior to "holy :censored: we've made a huge mistake this guy is a complete idiot" so fast.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bengals

No brainer on this one. It's David Shula. 90% of the reason he was hired was because Mike Brown, the son of a hall of fame coach, saw himself in this kid who was also the son of a hall of fame coach. He went 19-52, which is remarkable in that it is a terrible record, but also because he lasted 4 and a half seasons despite that terrible record. He went 5-11, 3-13, 3-13, 7-9 which MB thought was good enough to save his job for another season and then 1-6 which was finally good enough to get fired. The Bengals are the hardest team in NFL to get fired from.

Reds

There's not a lot of bad ones to choose from. First instinct says Dusty Baker, but it's hard to say Dusty Baker because he won a couple division championships and added another playoff appearance on top of that so he's out. I remember hating Ray Knight, although his record in 1.5 seasons isn't as bad as I remember. I guess Ray Knight. I was also not a fan of Jerry Narron.

Blue Jackets

Scott Arniel. The guy was weird with players, developed and held grudges for no reason, couldn't handle the relatively easy pressure of the Columbus market, and was lost behind the bench. He always looked like he had no idea what to do. He started like 14-6 in his first season, but once he lost the team he really lost them. And once he lost the fans he really lost the fans. They fired him after a year and a half and that felt overdue. I've never seen a guy go from coaching savior to "holy :censored: we've made a huge mistake this guy is a complete idiot" so fast.

On a personal note regarding the Bengals: They should hire John Hufnagel away from Calgary if Marvin Lewis EVER leaves. That's just me, though.

UBwef0L.png

Green Bay: probably Lindy Infante, though since I was little back then, my memory is fuzzy. I wanna say Mike Sherman, though he was more up and down than flat out terrible.

Bears: Jauron. Just...Jauron.

Cubs: there's such a thing as a competent manager?

Notre Dame: I loathed Davie, but Weis' tenure sucked.

Wisconsin: the worst thing I can say about Bielema is that he stunk at coaching bowl games, and the worst I can say about Andersen is he was two and done.

Bucks: Ironically, George Karl, mainly because of the Ray Allen trade and subsequent collapse. Larry K had a horrid one-and-done season, but then the Bucks basically had no talent outside of Redd by that point.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Bengals

Reds

Blue Jackets

On a personal note regarding the Bengals: They should hire John Hufnagel away from Calgary if Marvin Lewis EVER leaves. That's just me, though.
Huff is stepping back after next season to just GM the Stamps.

IbjBaeE.png

• Louisville Football: Steve Kragthorpe. I don't need to say much about him because he turned Louisville football into a dumpster fire.

Louisville Basketball: None as the last 25 years only have two coaches in Denny Crum and Rick Pitino (Both College Basketball Hall of Famers).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Louisville Football: Steve Kragthorpe. I don't need to say much about him because he turned Louisville football into a dumpster fire.
  • Louisville Basketball: None as the last 25 years only have two coaches in Denny Crum and Rick Pitino (Both College Basketball Hall of Famers).

Umm. Those of us who were alive remember Ron Cooper.

Falcons- Bobby Petrino, you simply don't resign midsession. Dude sucked at coaching too.

Yankees- Stump Merrill I suppose

Heat-Nobody really sucks. Spoelstra makes me angry sometimes but he's won 2 titles.

Husker Football- Has to be Bill Callahan.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

No doubt in my mind on this one. Chan Gailey

I'd actually go with Dick Jauron. He was a miserable lump of human being.

Doug Marrone deserves honorable mention just for his exit.

ixI1dF1.gif

Photo finish between Vinny Del Negro and Marc Trestman. I'm a Cubs fan, so Terry Bevington is not my concern, but he'd have to be right up there, too. Signalling to an empty bullpen is all-time dumb.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived