Teams that could use some BFBS

WavePunter

I know most of us are pretty anti BFBS, but I'm one of the few who doesn't mind it.. I prefer traditional looks and old school styles, but I also grew up with some of the BFBS teams and darkening of the 90's, so I've got a soft spot for some of that too..

Anyway, what are some teams that COULD benefit from some BFBS - if done correctly/appropriately?

I always felt like with the black in their logo and tertiary status of their second color (yellow), the Chiefs could get away with a black alt (saw a black fashion jersey years ago that I actually liked)..

I also was a fan of the darker 49ers scheme and thought they could pull off a black alt with that set (but I have no idea what they're thinking with this set and the black alt)

Are there any others that you guys think would work?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Cleveland Indians could look better by using black in place of their navy. If they had a more unique color scheme, I would say leave it alone. But MLB can afford to spare a red/white/blue team, and I think the Indians are a good candidate to do so, especially if and when they finally ditch Wahoo.

In some other thread, people were talking about how the Indians alts this year looked almost black. When I pictured the jerseys actually being black, I think they looked better.

By the way, I am not taking "tradition" into account when saying something like this, so don't get all "but they've always done it that way" on me.

Every team. Really, look at how much adding black always helps. The Mets black alt/cap? Gorgeous. The Royals stopped looking like the Dodgers for a while. Look at the Chiefs; all that bright red and yellow; it NEEDS some black to calm it down. No team can go with, say Honolulu blue and silver or Kelly and silver; a problem beautifully corrected by the Lions and Eagles, respectively. Some teams would have to be more judicious. Black would not go well with the Yankees dark blue, for example, so they should just have a black alt to wear about a third of the time. The Canadiens need just a thin line separating the blue from the red; no black alt and no black helmets, etc.

Sorry...I just cannot help it.

Seriously, I could come up with a couple teams that could look serviceable and would be willing to allow each one if, say, three other teams drop it. For example, give some black trim to the Lightning to better-distinguish them from the Leafs while nodding to their history but then get rid of the black for Calgary, Colorado, and New Jersey. Add it to the NY Jets (while re-doing the uniforms) but get rid of it for the 49ers, Eagles, and Lions. Add it to (nobody) and get rid of it for the Reds. Add it to (nobody) and get rid of it for the T-Wolves and for goodness sake, don't let it come out for the Clippers.

Shoehorning black into an existing look, be it black alts (A's) or black trim (Lions) almost always ruins the look. For some reason, I think the 1980s New York Jets are an exception. I don't really know why.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If adding black is an actual, valuable contribution to a team's uniform, then it isn't BFBS. BFBS refers to slapping black on somewhere it doesn't belong to make the uniform look edgier.

Another problem with this is people disagree on when black improves a look. I think adding black was a phenomenal upgrade for the Detroit Lions and Calgary Flames for example, but was a massive downgrade for the North Stars. And there are people who feel the exact opposite.

i'm with you on this (pretty much everyone to some extent).. i just think the "BFBS issue gets lumped into the "no, never.. not in sports" category with several other nitpicky issues, but i think it really does enhance a team's look in some situations (not sure where the line is drawn between slapping it in there randomly and thinking it looks good vs. using it to enhance a look - very large spectrum with many varying opionions). i think there are certain color schemes that are "classic" and look great on their own, but could be enhanced with some black trim/outline/etc to help better distinguish details and whatnot, and other color combos that just flat out need some black to add some contrast (most of these already have it in some way, shape, or form), but i think we can get too quick to judge and all jump into the "NO" camp, almost out of habit.. one of my bigger issues with BFBS is when teams actually do just throw it in as random trim or outline when the look stood up nicely without it, but i personally prefer when the team colors are recreated on a black backdrop (essentially replacing the white in a team's white jersey with black), because i view both black and white as equally-neutral colors, and certain color schemes look better on black than they do white IMO.. i think kelly and athletic gold is a prime example.. but obviously, white is the traditional look, and certainly preferable in most situations.. but that was my purpose of starting this thread - to see if anyone thinks there are teams which could actually benefit from adding a moderate-to-heavy dose of black.

If adding black is an actual, valuable contribution to a team's uniform, then it isn't BFBS. BFBS refers to slapping black on somewhere it doesn't belong to make the uniform look edgier.

Another problem with this is people disagree on when black improves a look. I think adding black was a phenomenal upgrade for the Detroit Lions and Calgary Flames for example, but was a massive downgrade for the North Stars. And there are people who feel the exact opposite.

Exactly. Personally, I feel that black is usually a wonderful color to use as trim, and it's a shame that too many teams went overboard on it and ruined the color in the eyes of many.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Pretty much any team that wears scarlet and white. I find that to be an incredibly harsh and unpleasant color combination.

Agreed on the Lions. Honolulu blue and silver are great, but don't have enough contrast on their own. The black really makes those colors sing.

And it irks me that the 49ers insist on using their modern black-outlined logo with such a traditional set, so give them some black trim too.

But for the love of god, no black alternates for either of these teams.

I think the Cleveland Indians could look better by using black in place of their navy. If they had a more unique color scheme, I would say leave it alone. But MLB can afford to spare a red/white/blue team, and I think the Indians are a good candidate to do so, especially if and when they finally ditch Wahoo.

In some other thread, people were talking about how the Indians alts this year looked almost black. When I pictured the jerseys actually being black, I think they looked better.

By the way, I am not taking "tradition" into account when saying something like this, so don't get all "but they've always done it that way" on me.

Change the name to Spiders and roll with that as a black widow motif. I could dig it.

msg-117798227822.jpg

In all honesty, I felt black worked when the Atlanta Hawks used it.

I like it for the Lions, Mets, Jets and Royals too.

I feel some that it added okay depth to the Flames, but it looks drab it it's too much. Keep it subtle and you are fine.

As an alum who goes back and forth on whether I'd like to see an alternate black uniform, I toss Ohio State into the hat. On one hand, I think the Rivalry set was the perfect alternate uniforms for the Buckeyes (not too far from tradition), but on the other, I know personally that many students and player want a black uniform. I think trading out the current sleeves for the old (or Sugar Bowl/National Championship) sleeves could convince the older, more traditional alumni to compromise.

Please bear with me, as a long-time user of MS Paint who recently got photoshop free from work, I present you a quick concept of what could be:

new_zps4v0uhicj.png

The numbers wouldn't look this way, either, as it's just to show the difference between white and gray numbers.

Shoehorning black into an existing look, be it black alts (A's) or black trim (Lions) almost always ruins the look. For some reason, I think the 1980s New York Jets are an exception. I don't really know why.

The Jets are the first...and the last...team that comes to mind as far as being improved with the addition of black. It only works with the green helmet and sleek jet logo, though, which were better than what they wore before and since.

As an alum who goes back and forth on whether I'd like to see an alternate black uniform, I toss Ohio State into the hat. On one hand, I think the Rivalry set was the perfect alternate uniforms for the Buckeyes (not too far from tradition), but on the other, I know personally that many students and player want a black uniform. I think trading out the current sleeves for the old (or Sugar Bowl/National Championship) sleeves could convince the older, more traditional alumni to compromise.

Please bear with me, as a long-time user of MS Paint who recently got photoshop free from work, I present you a quick concept of what could be:

new_zps4v0uhicj.png

The numbers wouldn't look this way, either, as it's just to show the difference between white and gray numbers.

That looks fantastic. I wouldn't mind that as a once a year alternate look for them.

new_zps4v0uhicj.png

That looks fantastic. I wouldn't mind that as a once a year alternate look for them.

The only stipulation is that the regular pants have to remain. That is one of two things (gold outlines on the numbers being the other) that stops the 49ers' set from looking good.

I'd say teams/ schools that are primarily red and white, green and white, Orange and white are all allowed to have some black (or Gray and silver and gunmetal)

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived