College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

As a Pitt fan I'm disappointed they didn't go back to Royal Blue and Yellow Gold, the current colors are boring and to similar to the likes of Notre Dame, Navy and Georgia Tech. I'm assuming they stuck with the current colors so they could have two sets of merchandise one in the current colors and one in the throwback colors, similar to what the Penguins did with Vegas Gold and Pittsburgh Gold merch.

I'm more relived than anything else when it comes to the uniforms, I was fearing a white or chrome helmet or an all black look. The numbers on the home jersey would have looked better if they had no outline or just the white outline and they should have used the same font on the white jerseys just to be consistent. I hate the white pants and hope they match the blue helmet with the blue pants or the gold helmet with the gold pants on the road.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

They could have kept the helmet, pants, and number font from the last set, added the stripes and these would be great. As is, they're decent but not as great as they could be.

Bingo. I'll even take the new number font if they kept the other stuff.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

It's pretty good, but the white jersey is pretty bad. That almost toilet bowl collar, and the fact that the shoulder stripes seem more like someone filled in an image onto the shoulder cap ruins it. Otherwise ok, definitely a downgrade though. I agree with the poster who said their previous uniforms were great, basically perfection imo.

When Nike first unveiled this template, I thought every team that went with a colored collar would have the same treatment that Pitt is sporting. But then I saw Tennessee do it well last year. Still not great, but it's nice to see that the v-neck part of the zipper (what I call it) can be colored in.

CI11q9dWoAArYrr1-650x342.jpg

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

so many backwards swooshes and chrome

They represent the iconic backroom dealings and oil money characteristic of Texas football.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I haven't played football since fall of 2002. Have screw in cleats become obsolete? Seems like all I ever see nowadays are molded cleats.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I haven't played football since fall of 2002. Have screw in cleats become obsolete? Seems like all I ever see nowadays are molded cleats.

Still needed for grass fields, Fieldturf? Not so much. Grass can be cut or not cut to affect the teams playing on it so teams will still carry screw ins. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Still needed for grass fields, Fieldturf? Not so much. Grass can be cut or not cut to affect the teams playing on it so teams will still carry screw ins. 

Nike only offers molded cleats in the vast majority of their shoes available to teams. All of the "technology" lines (flyknit, etc.) are exclusively molded.  

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Alpha series are available for customization online. Teams probably just have to arrange a set bulk order. 

I should clarify, for their contract schools, they are only available in molded. 

molded cleats are far superior for field turf (at least that seems to be the rationale, although i never noticed much difference when playing with screw-ins).. cleats dont last as long as they used to, so the cleats blow out before the screws need to be changed anyway.. i probably change 20 screws per year (not 20 pairs of cleats -- literally, just 20 individual screw-in spikes), and that's just on practice cleats.. i think most teams are probably going to a system similar to ours.. this years game cleats become next year's practice cleats, so by the time a kid graduates, he's got 3-4 pairs of practice cleats and a final pair of game cleats.. your game cleats only get worn about 20 times per year (10-11 games, + a few practices to break-in), so they're still essentially new practice cleats for the next year.. 

12 hours ago, williams said:

The script logo has an 8.6 rating and everybody seems to love it except for WV fans. 

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/80318662016/Pittsburgh_Panthers/2016/Primary_Logo

Hell, this WVU fan likes it, even.

What I don't like are the numbers on the new uniforms. Even though it provides some consistency with the sleeve stripes, double outlines or separated outlines (where the first stroke is the same color as the background; I'm going to call it "separated" for simplicity's sake) are, 99% of the time, an awful idea. Plus, the numbers themselves are just oddly shaped. They kind of remind me of Tennessee's last Adidas numbers. Curved on the insides and straight-angled on the outsides.

But my biggest gripe is the the total lack of striping consistency across the uniform. White stroke on a blue stripe on the helmet, separated strokes on the sleeves and numbers on the jersey, and then no stripes (???) on the pants. It'd help immensely if the pants had stripes to match the helmet (not unlike the previous version--not an exact match, but the same idea). It looks very disjointed.

All they really had to do was just put stripes on the previous set and harmonize the golds a little.

Old:

pittnostripes.jpg

Proposed:

pittstripes.jpg

That looks so much better. 

I've said it before, but I'm once again tired of seeing Nike just supply blank pants. I think Rutgers is one of the only teams in the last few weeks to have anything on the pants.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived