Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

The only arena that could be worse than Little Caesars Arena would be a Pizza Hut Arena. 

I've had a lot of pizza in my day.  Pizza Hut is worthwhile; Little Ceasars is... $5.

bookit-pizza-hut.jpg

I really like Pizzarena. The Oven is a little too Chris Bermany for my tastes.

The Blue Jackets have a 9.5% of winning the lottery. I ran the lottery simulator 100 times to get a good sample size. The Blue Jackets won once. Even a fake lottery website is against us!

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think that core needs to take a long look in the mirror. Boudreau had them as the best defense, power play and penalty kill this year. 

The Ducks were failing in the playoffs with this core under Carlyle (sans 07') 

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well, here's the thing. When you say "this core," the only players remaining from that 2007 Cup are Getzlaf and Perry. Only four players were in the last four Game 7 losses: Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Cogliano. Only 9 have been there for the last three losses, those four plus Silfverberg and four then-rookies Lindholm, Vatanen, Andersen, Gibson. Again, the constants being Getzlaf and Perry, but Getzlaf and Perry have also been their best players over that time.

The Ducks are a good team, a very good team, and it's hard to think of them being any better overall than they were with Boudreau or with this group of players. They are firmly in a San Jose Sharks predicament, with Getzlaf and Perry playing the Thornton and Marleau roles. Yes the difference being that they won a Cup in 2007, but 2007 wasn't their team. It was Neidermayer's, Selanne's, Pronger's, Giguere's.

I would have liked the Ducks to maybe try the St. Louis Blues approach and give this entire group one more go with Boudreau at the helm. But again the record speaks for itself. Boudreau is 1-7 in Game 7s. Yes, he has won at every level, he's had great success, he's given the Ducks their best/most consistent four year run with four division titles and 3 straight 100 point seasons (sans lockout, would've been four). I also think beyond the actual record success, he has been very good at actually coaching. Just look to this season and how the Ducks were able to change to pull themselves out of that early season hole. This season was a remarkable coaching job by him. (Funnily enough, allowed because Murray didn't fire him when it was all but assured he would.)

It sucks. Gabby is probably my favorite coach the Ducks have had. (And yes, even with the Cup, anyone who's had a Carlyle-coached team could tell you of the experience.) But it has to come down on somebody, and really, I don't know if Boudreau and Murray ever really saw eye to eye. You can't fire all 23 players, but I do expect roster change. There are plenty of UFAs (Perron, McGinn are guys I'd bring back) and a load of important RFAs (Rakell, Lindholm, Vatanen, Andersen).

As to who they bring in as coach, hard to say. When Murray brought in MacLean as an assistant this season, we all figured it was to have someone in place for if/when Bruce was fired. Dallas Eakins is the coach down in San Diego and has done a pretty good job with the Gulls in his first year. The only big name I can think of on the market is Guy Boucher, and I think any of think of any of the recently fired coaches anybody would actually want.

I don't know. I don't know what needs to change (it's probably whatever is in the heads of Getzlaf and Perry), but it needs to change because this Cup window is closing faster and faster.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Paulrus was the PP and PK coach, so I don't know how much of a hand Boudreau had in those.

I'm not surprised to see Boudreau fired with 4 straight home game 7 losses and career record of 1-7 in game 7, but they're not all on him.

It's probably going to be an interesting offseason in Anaheim.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

As to who they bring in as coach, hard to say. When Murray brought in MacLean as an assistant this season, we all figured it was to have someone in place for if/when Bruce was fired. Dallas Eakins is the coach down in San Diego and has done a pretty good job with the Gulls in his first year. The only big name I can think of on the market is Guy Boucher, and I think any of think of any of the recently fired coaches anybody would actually want.

It'll be Guy Boucher or Mike Yeo. Eakins will never work in this league again. It'll end up being something we say makes sense and should work. The Ducks are ultimately a professionally-run operation, they're not gonna do something dopey like make Teemu the coach.

If any one player is gonna shut the Ducks' window, it's gonna be Kesler and more precisely his cap hit. He has a lot of miles on him. And as we all know, no human can withstand that much punishment.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Senators won the bid for developing that patch of land downtown, so start the countdown clock on Whatever We're Calling The Palladium This Year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I've had a lot of pizza in my day.  Pizza Hut is worthwhile; Little Ceasars is... $5.

bookit-pizza-hut.jpg

I haven't had Little Caesars since 1997 because my stepmom had some medical issues which the doctors ignored after she gave birth. I was upstairs when my dad yelled at my brother and I to come down. She had started having seizures in the bathroom and was bouncing between the toilet and sink doing a lot of extra damage to herself. We all went to the hospital with a 2-year old and spent most of the day there, when we finally went home later after she was OK, but would have to spend the night at the hospital, we were all tired and my dad told me to check the pizza coupons on hand and we would just order pizza for dinner that night. I pulled out one and said "Here's a good dead. Let's get some Little Seizures" I felt so bad that I can't get anything from there anymore without feeling extremely guilty about it.

52 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I despise these corporate named sports stadiums. I know in this day and age we'll probably never not see it again, but I miss the Boston Gardens and the Chicago Stadiums and the Great Western Forums and the Joe Louis Arenas and the Tiger Stadiums.  

Actually, Great Western was a bank. It's just that the name suited the place so well that nobody noticed.

Archived