Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse

1937redskins

@1937redskins I don't think you understand what anyone is telling you... 

Yes, sharing your opinion about anything is great, and that's what the boards are for... But, you're trying to just blab about anything and everything (about sports aesthetics) and it's going to make for a very cluttered thread, more cluttered than what you said happens in the league threads. You don't need a single thread for just your random thoughts. The separate threads are meant to organize your thoughts, and everyone else's, all into one place, all about the same topic. That's why you need to keep this one about the ravens unis, (Which it has) and start any other subject in its own thread.  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The initial ravens unis were too white heavy.. The sleeve logo was great, but even it was too white heavy for such an otherwise dark uniform.. If they could iron out a proper shade of purple, a pants stripe of purple surrounded by two thin gold stripes could work nicely on the black pants.. Also, lose the B from the helmet logo.. Such a great logo ruined by shoehorning that B into the bird's face..

The black pants with the thick white stripe are dreadful, and the rest isn't much better. This set reminds me of something that I would like to see - a full bodied raven as an alternate logo. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the current look, but its getting pretty dated at this point. Again, main takeaway on these is just how bad those black pants are.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Um you know the Ravens are birds right? And it makes sense to have said bird on their uniform. Them being majorily purple takes them looking like SS uniforms completely out of the equation. They get their look from the Edgar Allen Poe poem "The Raven". That explains the dark colors, and the gothic styled numbers (not goth). The black with purple colors comes from Ravens having black feathers with a purple sheen to them.

I said what it conjures in imagination.what it reminds me of. 

I didn't say where they got the idea  originally from, that wasn't what i was saying.

I already know  the Raven poem stuff. 

The poem has nothing to do with the original helmet crest or  how the bird was drawn  on the sleeve. 

10 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

it means they are comparable to/it reminds me of military uniforms.

the original helmet crest and the Raven on the  sleeve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsadler

very Royal,very militaristic

59445_03_lg.jpg

227884.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

I think I get the comparison, both logos are indicative of, inter Alia, the respective organizations' utter disdain for, and illegal expropriation of, individuals' property, right?

unhi-creative-works-symposium-session-we

8 hours ago, frosty06306 said:

The black pants with the thick white stripe are dreadful, and the rest isn't much better. This set reminds me of something that I would like to see - a full bodied raven as an alternate logo. I don't want to turn this into a discussion of the current look, but its getting pretty dated at this point. Again, main takeaway on these is just how bad those black pants are.

They're better than the current black pants.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, but that's not saying much.  

The Ravens are one of those teams which shouldn't have dark pants.  White pants, or metallic gold, would prevent their uniforms from slipping into terminal muddiness and drabness. 

Totally disagree.  If anything they're one of those teams that shouldn't have light pants.  I think their purple over black look works perfectly for them, though I could do without the stripeless pants and leotard look.  I'm not sure that white or purple socks would look good, so I'd settle for just a stripe to break things up.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ich mag es nicht, diese uniform.

Like Jacksonville, the original set isn't bad, but found its groove after a few seasons of fine-tuning. It always bothered me as a kid that a team with a home run mascot-able name like "Ravens" chose such a stoic, unspectacular crest as their primary logo. This original set had a drab visage that felt more at home as the antagonist team in a late 90's football movie than on an NFL field. Clearly, its up for debate, but I've always felt their 2nd attempt was a major upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, but that's not saying much.  

The Ravens are one of those teams which shouldn't have dark pants.  White pants, or metallic gold, would prevent their uniforms from slipping into terminal muddiness and drabness. 

In my opinion, the Ravens are like the Panthers where they HAVE to wear all black. The Ravens tried gold last year and it was a miserable failure as the shade of gold looked like mustard, but I think it wouldn't of looked so awful if it was metallic or something.

bSLCtu2.png

34 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Ich mag es nicht, diese uniform.

Like Jacksonville, the original set isn't bad, but found its groove after a few seasons of fine-tuning. It always bothered me as a kid that a team with a home run mascot-able name like "Ravens" chose such a stoic, unspectacular crest as their primary logo. This original set had a drab visage that felt more at home as the antagonist team in a late 90's football movie than on an NFL field. Clearly, its up for debate, but I've always felt their 2nd attempt was a major upgrade.

28 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

In my opinion, the Ravens are like the Panthers where they HAVE to wear all black. The Ravens tried gold last year and it was a miserable failure as the shade of gold looked like mustard, but I think it wouldn't of looked so awful if it was metallic or something.

Agreed and agreed.

In general, I really like all of the current combos with white pants.  The black pants take away from the overall look with each jersey.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Totally disagree.  If anything they're one of those teams that shouldn't have light pants.  I think their purple over black look works perfectly for them, though I could do without the stripeless pants and leotard look.  I'm not sure that white or purple socks would look good, so I'd settle for just a stripe to break things up.  

Purple jersey, black pants, gold-purple-gold stripe on the pants. That's what they should wear.

On 5/26/2016 at 8:11 PM, 1937redskins said:

lol I'm generalizing you obsessive control freak that takes things way too literal.

UE7BmHa.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the Ravens looked their best when they wore striped socks home and away. Gave their uniforms a little more polish. 

658042-jan-2001-duane-starks-corey-harri

running-back-priest-holmes-of-the-baltim

and if they must have black pants then I'd like to see them try to use the purple stripes from their helmets on the pants. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I think it would look pretty good if it was metallic gold.  But since we're dealing with Nike here, that's not an option, so let them wear white.

Black-over-black is awful.  Black-over-purple isn't much better, nor is purple-over-black.  Too mono.  Too Arena League.

Purple-over-white, with the requisite black-over-white, is their only real alternative.

57 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I think the Ravens looked their best when they wore striped socks home and away. Gave their uniforms a little more polish. 

658042-jan-2001-duane-starks-corey-harri

running-back-priest-holmes-of-the-baltim

and if they must have black pants then I'd like to see them try to use the purple stripes from their helmets on the pants. 

100% agreed. I think these are the best combos they've ever had. Black pants with stripes look kinda amateur imo

Ravens should be in black helmets with purple flake, black jerseys, black pants, black socks with no low whites, black shoes. On the road, well, it's tougher: black helmets, white jerseys, black pants, purple socks with low whites, black shoes? The Ravens, besides being named for black birds, are an organization that's always angry and aggrieved. They should look intimidating but also a little arena-league, because their perpetual chip on the shoulder is a bit much, just like the arena league. They're not the Baltimore Colts. They don't need to be traditional in any way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived