Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

The overwhelming majority of us are not professional designers but make good concepts and appreciate good design.  A sizesble  number of members have also harshly (but fairly in most cases) criticized some of what the professional designers at Nike, UA, etc have come up with, so I see no problem with him driving this process. A professional may be able to execute the concept better than an amateur, but as far as the actual ideas go, there's no problem with him taking the lead there, especially since he essentially came up with the branding and knows more than anyone what message or feeling the uniforms are supposed to convey. 

That doesnt mean they won't suck, because this guy doesn't sound like he gets it, but at least as of now there's no reason to criticize him for overruling adidas. 

As a professional designer, I feel the best clients/leaders/owners are those who understand that there are experts in every field and trust those experts to do the job better than anyone else. Meddling may work on a rare occasion but overall, those who hire and trust experts get better results.  

I get the sense of these responses once the uniforms come vomiting forth:

• steel gray ("Our research showed that actual knights wore steel.")
  • vegas gold ("We wanted something distinctly 'Vegas' sounding.")
  • black ("All the players on all the teams wear black, right?")
  • navy ("We heard navy sells well."
  • royal blue ("My favorite color so I insisted on it being shoehorned in there.")
  • red ("We heard red also sells well, plus it's aggressive and stuff.")
  • roundel ("We wanted that mix of old and new.")
  • drunk piping everywhere ("My wife thought it would look great.")
  • faux military sigils on the sleeves ("We were pissed that the Panthers stole that idea from the Jaguars who stole that idea from Anaheim who stole that idea from the actual military who probably stole that from France who stole the idea from us, so we felt we had to do them one better!")
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Oh it's real alright.  Although it's literally turning into Charlotte Bobcats 2.0

Clear side panels!

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

16 hours ago, dont care said:

No the coyotes will move the Quebec before them

I think they're more likely to move Vegas to Quebec. Three reasons:

A. They've invested to much to lose face by moving the Coyotes.

B. The Phoenix market is much more profitable than Vegas. Not in terms of revenue, but of being able to "sell" that market in the TV deal. Utilization is irrelevant, they still get to use it as a selling point.

C. Moving a former Canadian team back to Canada would probably feel to much like admitting they were wrong.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

A. The new LV expansion franchise is not moving to Quebec. For cripes sake, they wont even play their first game for almost a year...

B. The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec (Seatlle, maybe....)

C. No one is moving to Quebec

Still hoping the Hurricanes do... That seems like the only chance for the Nords until the NHL decides to do another expansion whenever that is...

(The Eastern Divisions might have to be moved around a little bit though... Maybe Buffalo to the Metropolitan and Quebec to the Atlantic??)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Seattle development is veeeeeery interesting, indeed. Coleman may be able to come on board now with his bid.

Only issue still seems to be NBA-first. If the NBA balks or takes 5-10 years to make a decision, is the NHL gonna wait that long? Hrm...

you're all thinking too short-term.  of course the las vegas franchise, which has not even started play, is going to move to quebec.  but the question is what happens then.  quebec city clearly is too small to support an NHL team as they lost one already.  so where does quebec move?  i say atlanta.

54 minutes ago, swilson160 said:

you're all thinking too short-term.  of course the las vegas franchise, which has not even started play, is going to move to quebec.  but the question is what happens then.  quebec city clearly is too small to support an NHL team as they lost one already.  so where does quebec move?  i say atlanta.

Atlanta will be hemorrhaging money by year three, necessitating a move to a shiny new locale that gives off an air of unlimited cash potential......Las Vegas, Nevada, baby!

4 hours ago, BrianLion said:

A. The new LV expansion franchise is not moving to Quebec. For cripes sake, they wont even play their first game for almost a year...

B. The Coyotes aren't moving to Quebec (Seatlle, maybe....)

C. No one is moving to Quebec

what!?!?!?

Zzi6tDc.png

Archived