Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

Las Vegas owner Bill Foley is confident his new NHL team name is worth the wait

As Foley and his charges finalize the look, though, they’re aiming for an undefined target. “Once I see it, we’ll know,” he says. The first real opportunity happens Wednesday, when Foley meets with reps from adidas and the NHL. “We’re actually going to see the fabric and see the color schemes on fabric, as opposed to looking at them [online],” he says. “If I have to delay again, I’ll delay, but I want to make sure we do it right, that we have a color scheme that people can identify with that will pop, that they can really see, when you go to that arena, it’s a sea of a color that resonates throughout the whole arena.”

Foley senses the growing public frustration—or, at the very least, impatience—the longer his franchise remains the Las Vegas TBDs. He supposes the logo is 95% finished. The road jerseys are finalized too, but the proposed base color on the home set left something to be desired. “The first two times I saw it, it was recessive,” Foley says. “I didn’t think it was bright enough, popped enough.”

And so we wait, Foley perhaps more than anyone. “I want to share it, but I can’t get, and I want to make sure it’s right, or at least right in my mind,” he says. “May not be right. Two years from now, we may change the jerseys because we don’t feel they were right. But I want to do the best we possibly can with this name, and with this color scheme and the logo I can do. I’m really not frustrated…I’m just anxious to reach a conclusion."

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jp1409 said:

First look at the team locker room according to their website, it looks nearly as exciting as my village arena locker rooms. Tan (gold?), grey and black it is...

2016_10_17LongWays.jpg

LasVegas_DressingRoom.jpg

Even the trash cans are generic. I bet you they have a nicer room saved for visiting music acts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I mean, how much can they really do or show with it until the settle on the color scheme and identity, and logos. It's not like they have a history of great players to throw murals on the wall. I'm sure stripped down a lot of locker rooms look like this. 

Even the lockers look cheap.  Bought in bulk and leaned up against the wall without much thought (they don't even look anchored yet).  Tons of wasted space all around.

2016_10_17LongWays.jpg

Contrast that with the Islanders' new locker room:

NYIRoom1.0.jpg

Lockers custom built to fit the space.  No wall space wasted.  Everything clean and flush and professional.  And this was put together years after the arena was opened.

This has got to be a temporary room.  No way the Deseret Knights actually dress there before their first game.

13 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Straight from their website...

Screenshot_2016-10-18-22-52-20.png

C'mon guys, it says eventual.  That's probably the built out placeholder when the arena was built with no tenants.  I assume a renovation will be in order prior to next fall.

48 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

C'mon guys, it says eventual.  That's probably the built out placeholder when the arena was built with no tenants.  I assume a renovation will be in order prior to next fall.

Some finishing touches and almost ready to go...

Screenshot_2016-10-19-12-43-52.png

My hope is that's just like the "staging" furniture you order after you move out of your old house but haven't sold it yet, and you want potential buyers who see it to get an idea of how the room would flow. 

You don't spend $500 million on an NHL franchise, build them a new arena, and then put them in a local CYO level locker room. 

Guys, remember the owner is a macho military fetishist.

This spartan locker room is probably an intentional effort to cultivate some sort of "warrior" ethos in the Goddamned Knights.

/I'm going to now assume Foley looks like Joe Don Baker's character in The Living Daylights

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good luck attracting free agents! I imagine it will be a fun city for the visiting team, but if you get a spartan dressing room, flimsy crowds and an egomaniacal owner together it'll be tough getting big names to want to play there. They may also not even be able to avoid pressure like players in many other "non-traditional" markets, because they'll be the only thing going sports-wise.

17 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Guys, remember the owner is a macho military fetishist.

This spartan locker room is probably an intentional effort to cultivate some sort of "warrior" ethos in the Goddamned Knights.

/I'm going to now assume Foley looks like Joe Don Baker's character in The Living Daylights

I like to think that he has the tattoo of the Joe Don Baker character in Goldeneye

muffy-wade.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

The road jerseys are finalized too, but the proposed base color on the home set left something to be desired. “The first two times I saw it, it was recessive,” Foley says. “I didn’t think it was bright enough, popped enough.”

This will end well.

Here's the Oilers' new locker room by comparison...

lockerroompano.jpeg?quality=70&strip=all

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I didn’t think it was bright enough, popped enough.

This gives me hope that there will be another color in there besides black/gray/sand/brick.  Not that they're not nice enough colors (even the Vegas gold would be good if metallic), but it just feels like is a Venn diagram of the Kings, Ducks, and Coyotes.  Of course, it's possible this guy picks drab colors and then is mad when they don't "pop"... wouldn't surprise me.

Edit: My gut says Golden Knights with some kind of gold home jersey.  I think we're all less than thrilled with the way Vegas gold is reproduced now, so it would make sense that would be a color he might have problems with taking from concept to reality.  I could definitely see the guy settling on an idea of a glittering golden armor home jersey, and then Adidas sent him the Jelly Belly buttered popcorn matte gold.

Charcoal is a color not used as a primary jersey, and I really think it would work well with any Knights scheme.  Use a bright color of some kind (I like purple or gold) and a tertiary accent color of black and this would be interesting to say the least.

Archived