Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

14 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

lasvegassilverknights.com registered with Namespro Solutions

lasvegasgoldenknights.com registered with GoDaddy

lasvegasdesertknights.com registered with Moniker Online Services LLC

Other sites registered with Moniker? NHL.com, edmontonoilers.com.

Then again, newyorkrangers.com is registered with Tucows and pittsburghpenguins.com is registered with Network Solutions, so who really knows?

That was the path I went with when I first wrote about the possibility of Desert Knights as the name back in August but I no longer think it's an actual connection.

The Silver Knights and Desert Knights domain names are also currently listed as for sale by their current owners.  Foley (or people in his org) have said they own those domains in the past but I think he's full of it and they're actually held by speculators.

I think they're going to keep using the vegasishockey.com domain, not have one with the team name.  He's just not willing to pay speculators.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, YzerFan19 said:

That was the path I went with when I first wrote about the possibility of Desert Knights as the name back in August but I no longer think it's an actual connection.

The Silver Knights and Desert Knights domain names are also currently listed as for sale by their current owners.  Foley (or people in his org) have said they own those domains in the past but I think he's full of it and they're actually held by speculators.

I think they're going to keep using the vegasishockey.com domain, not have one with the team name.  He's just not willing to pay speculators.

I agree completely, he is full of crap on the domain side of it. UNLESS he believes owning desertknights.nhl.com is sufficient, which it's not.

He must pay to play in the domain space, simple as that. It would be short sighted to not pay X dollars like every other franchise has due to lost revenue, brand protection and reaching people via the web easily.

I think he will in time, if he has a smart marketing staff they know this.

On a side note either Adidas had a major leak on the name or Foley stole that dudes idea because the Desert Knight names were registered BEFORE Foley applied for any TM's. Which means since Foley never mentioned that name before and no one did before those Desert Knight names were registered he has no common law right, first use (still doesn't exist) to make a claim. In other words, he wants them, he pays.

Wouldn't it be funny if he stole that dudes idea for a name LOL I don't see Desert Knights mentioned anywhere before the domains showed up and detroithockey.net ran the story on them.

Not to mention same basic premise for Silver and Golden, no first use by him and he denied them any ways, he's screwed.

I'm not excited about any of the three names. Golden Knights strikes me as the worst. Desert Knights just sounds dumb, and is probably going to give us a nightmarish uniform that looks like the Kings and Coyotes had a crack-baby together. Silver Knights at least makes a little sense with the locale, but is still only a half step better.

Come on, Foley, even the SPHL did a better job of naming their expansion team, this year (Thunderbolts), and that's a league with the FireAntz and Rail Yard Dawgs.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

For all the crap I've given Vegas? I love the idea of a big four team going with "Knights." 

Also I totally would have bought a sweater if they had gone with "Neon Knights."

I didn't care too much for Knights, in the beginning, but all this talk of "enter-crappy-adjective-here" Knights makes it sound inspired. It was a bit generic, but serviceable.

44 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Just tell me the team name already. I don't give a darn anymore what it is. This whole "Adjective Knights" thing is awful. I would've liked Aces, Scorpions, Vipers or even Sin as a moniker. 

Aces will always be my favorite. Roadrunners and Thunderbirds would have been good, too, though lengthy. The AHL shake up eliminated them. Scorpions is decent.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

"Roadrunners" is a great name, but I wouldn't have liked it. Even if it was available. True, the name's been used in Toronto and Edmonton. Still? It's a name primarily associated with Arizona hockey. The less connections made between Las Vegas' NHL team and Arizona hockey the better.

On 2016-10-07 at 2:14 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Also I totally would have bought a sweater if they had gone with "Neon Knights."

"Neon Knights" could have been a lot of fun...

neon%20knights.jpg

Bright red, yellow-gold, (and maybe a shot of magenta here and there)...on a midnight blue background. Don't know how the neon look would transfer to embroidered crests, but in print, you "throw a little glow" on the logos and they look kinda cool.

Hey, perhaps they could still have a "(Something) Knights Neon Night". 

9 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

neon%20knights.jpg

Bright red, yellow-gold, (and maybe a shot of magenta here and there)...on a midnight blue background. Don't know how the neon look would transfer to embroidered crests, but in print, you "throw a little glow" on the logos and they look kinda cool.

Imagine Neon Knights with Bishops style mask with a mashup of the Welcome to Las Vegas sign. It'd be beautiful

Bishop-helmet-.jpg?resize=630%2C467th?id=OIP.M4165b33042b5671da7a4cb6d3cb4b

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

On 10/9/2016 at 10:12 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

neon%20knights.jpg

Wow! You have a talent.  Well done!  

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

22 hours ago, mightyduck said:

Well done!  

neon%20knights%2004.jpg

Thanks md. ( Added a wordmmark-logo). There was an interesting interview (over at SinBin), with Kim Franks, VP of marketing for the Las Vegas Something Knights. Reading between the lines, It seems that the home/away unis may be fairly traditional, with the alts and special events uniforms, "Vegas-upped" a bit.

most people will ignore the modifier and just call them the Knights. I can live with that. Knights is a good nickname. 

I just hope the logos and uniforms are good. A good logo can salvage a bad name. See: Wild. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

neon%20knights%2004.jpg

Thanks md. ( Added a wordmmark-logo). There was an interesting interview (over at SinBin), with Kim Franks, VP of marketing for the Las Vegas Something Knights. Reading between the lines, It seems that the home/away unis may be fairly traditional, with the alts and special events uniforms, "Vegas-upped" a bit.

You know, that logo set is pretty nice, even more than your "Aces" concept. Good work.

As for the home/away uniforms being traditional, I'm a little disappointed. I get why they'd want to play it safe on the uniform front (while still having fancy alternates), but I wish they'd feel free to have an over-the-top look as their standard home/away set. There are already plenty of "traditional" and "classic" looks in the NHL, and we need something modern to mix it up a little.

On 09/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, mcj882000 said:

I know this is a few months old now, but the London Knights objecting to LV using the name still strikes me as odd, considering that the Lethbridge Hurricanes didn't do the same (as far as I know, anyways) when the Carolina Hurricanes came into existence...

The London Knights have a large amount of pull within the CHL, and hockey for that matter.  I'm sure they are just less forgiving with their trademarks.

banners

11 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Las Vegas Ice Raiders

Wobderful. They'll team well with the Turf Raiders and maybe someday the Wood Raiders. 

How about  the hockey raiders and Las Vegas Football Raiders?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wobderful. They'll team well with the Turf Raiders and maybe someday the Wood Raiders

How about  the hockey raiders and Las Vegas Football Raiders?

I kid you not, I know a guy from Oakland who made that his fantasy basketball team name. His baseball one was Mound Raiders and hockey was Crease Raiders. 

6 hours ago, DAKINS24 said:

The London Knights have a large amount of pull within the CHL, and hockey for that matter.  I'm sure they are just less forgiving with their trademarks.

Considering how Lethbridge has been told to change their logo twice, it would be pretty ironic if they had gone after Carolina over the Hurricanes name.  They had a WB Taz inspired logo, which surprisingly lasted as long as it did.  Then, when they changed over to the Capitals' style jersey, they also went with a somewhat similar wordmark logo to Washington.  It's possible that something was worked out between the two teams or maybe neither really cared, one way or another.

On 7/10/2016 at 9:14 PM, Ice_Cap said:

For all the crap I've given Vegas? I love the idea of a big four team going with "Knights." 

Hell of a Black Sabbath song as well (sorry but I had to) :P

Archived