Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I had an edit to my post that I accidentally deleted but I want to expand upon it and I think it was briefly mentioned but can we discuss Liberia's County flags please.  it's like MSPaint overload here

Even in MS Paint people can do better designs!

I just don't know the reason why they look so bad. What amazes me the most is that Maryland, the 2nd flag on the bottom, was an independent state from 1830 to 1857, and of course, they had their own flag.

They went from this...                                                               To this

lr-my_18.giflr-my.gif

On May 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For some of us, the hammer and sickle is a symbol of justice.  I consider it one of the most meaningful and beautiful symbols I have ever seen, which is why I display it prominently at home, at work, on my bike, and frequently on a button affixed to my clothing.

Someone of my ideology should sneer at commodification; but I will not deny that I find it cool to be able to have a hammer and sickle on my keychain or on a bag or on a cap.  I wear any logo as a means to express something about myself; and the ability to wear a symbol which I love so much is something I greatly appreciate.

bike.jpg.4181fe5dea7b1ba0a0c81431b78568bd.jpg   591358634dda6_hammerandsicklecap.jpg.351fcbecf7be316c1000f66df9a7ad56.jpg

59135b3f1e777_duflagoj.thumb.jpg.6775c4532209420af72c01dc0e6d0715.jpg

In between the Soviet flag and another flag very beloved by me: the Esperanto flag.

just seems edgy

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 9:50 AM, webdav said:

This all makes me so sad about how bad both my city and state flags are terrible. (Billings, Montana.)

Interesting thing - there is no official color of blue for Montana's seal on a bed sheet flag. Yet the word MONTANA is specified to be in Helvetica Bold by law.

My dad didn't understand my distaste for the MT flag. I drove him down the street in Red Lodge (they display flags from all over up and down their main drag) and asked him to tell me which was the Montana flag. It was then he realized there are at least four or five others that are identical unless the flag is totally unfurled. Then he mentioned he was in the Legislature when they made the flag stand out more by requiring MONTANA be on it in all-caps Helvetica Bold in gold (yellow.)

I asked him what ANATNOM was. He understood what I meant when he saw the flag from the back.

This is my Montana flag concept. The bison skull has been used as a symbol of the state of Montana for many years. In Native American cultures, it symbolizes prosperity and gratitude. I used "big sky blue" and yellow trim similar to what is used on some current Montana flags. I added a star to the bison skull to represent Montana's statehood.

Previously, I've used a simplified bison skull where the left side imitates the outline of the state. But this stripped down but still more realistic skull fits better, I think.

mt.png

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 10:03 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I guess this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I'd say that aesthetics are pretty severly compromised here.  I've always considered Maryland's flag to be a big mess, with the shoving together of two disparate elements, and the pointless repetition of these elements.

The flag of Baltimore is more coherent.

us-md-b.gif

Pittsburgh flag

Image result for pittsburgh flag

so long and thanks for all the fish.

3 hours ago, webdav said:

This is my Montana flag concept. The bison skull has been used as a symbol of the state of Montana for many years. In Native American cultures, it symbolizes prosperity and gratitude. I used "big sky blue" and yellow trim similar to what is used on some current Montana flags. I added a star to the bison skull to represent Montana's statehood.

Previously, I've used a simplified bison skull where the left side imitates the outline of the state. But this stripped down but still more realistic skull fits better, I think.

mt.png

i teally like this design but my concern is how will people feel about the skull? is that connection going to be made between it and "prosperity" or the opposite? it usually is a symbol of death

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 6/1/2017 at 3:32 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

i teally like this design but my concern is how will people feel about the skull? is that connection going to be made between it and "prosperity" or the opposite? it usually is a symbol of death

The bison skull was used on the Montana quarter design, and is fairly common in Montana. The quarter didn't cause much controversy, so I don't think this would either.

The reason it's not a symbol of death is that a bison brought so many things - food, fur, hide, and so forth. The skull therefore became a symbol of prosperity.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2016 at 8:45 AM, KRZYBDGRZ said:

image.png

ft. Worth tx

I really, REALLY hate our flag. You can barely even call it a flag... it's just a logo with text on a white sheet.

Made one of my own last year with a bit more meaning. 

9XSlRcI.jpg

• Like 3

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

2 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I love how you incorporated the sleeping panther, an old story for those who don't should find out 

(here ya go, http://vanderkrogt.net/statues/object.php?webpage=ST&record=ustx26)

and it's simple, would love to see that up on the flag pole.

Thanks. I wanted this entire flag to represent several different things about Ft. Worth.

The middle white and 3 red stripes comes from the 1912 city flag (notice "The Panther City" label):

us-tx-fw1912.gif

The the blue on top and bottom represents the sky and the Trinity River. And of course the star in the shield represnts the Lone Star State.

I wish WE could have a flag contest. Certainly need it.

• Like 1

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0451.thumb.PNG.1aa8a3234039eb136f9875510c8e5122.PNG

Here's a concept I made for my home state of Illinois. It was the 21st state to join, represented by the 21 stars on the staff edge. The colors represent the state itself, divided into three distinct regions. The north is known to border Lake Michigan, and has most of the state's largest cities. The central region is known for its farmland, and the south is known for its wealth of natural resources, such as coal and oil.

I was quite proud of this design when I made it some years ago, but I may consider something different now. Coal and oil isn't as popular as it once was, so it may not be wise to celebrate those things on a flag.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 11:50 AM, webdav said:

mt.png

I got a quote on printing a 3'x5' of this and it's pretty tempting to hang in out in lieu of my "real" Montana flag for a while. $110 for a one-off isn't too bad.

On 24/04/2017 at 6:30 PM, Casablanca said:
On 06/03/2017 at 10:43 AM, Zeus89725 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the unnofficial "Flag of Earth"

6EC19CD0-9006-4A81-8D15-B11D0E2B5AEF-16444-000024548AFBDCC3_tmp.png

I'm finding myself really liking that. I'm just curious as to whether those rings are all interconnected (you couldn't pull them apart).

Earlier on we mentioned the 'Flag of Earth'.

I've found the website for the flag, including a video explaining the design.

Also, the rings are all interconnected.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 10:01 AM, Casablanca said:

Earlier on we mentioned the 'Flag of Earth'.

I've found the website for the flag, including a video explaining the design.

Also, the rings are all interconnected.

this should be the Flag of Earth:

Image result for flag of earth futurama

• Like 7

so long and thanks for all the fish.