Conrad.

NBA Changes 2017-18

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Looking at the Jazz city, it definitely evokes a Moab desert sunset sort of feel. Does it accomplish what it’s going after? Yes. Is it a good idea though? I’m not so sure. I’ll wait till I see the real thing. 

 

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jazztros jerseys. I also love the idea of the Astros-style gradient being used in other sports (with proper restraint, of course). Even if the general public finds them hideous, they'll at least be memorable.

 

That said, they should've looked to last year's Pride jerseys and kept the Red Rock Desert motif to a stripe on the jersey (with either a green or blue jersey color base), at least in my opinion. The "UTAH" script and numbers needs to be whatever color is contrasting the yellow and Red-Orange (I think the navy blue would add some pop better than black if that's the side colors), and I'd like to see the orange be on the jersey and not just the shorts.

 

Of course, a better way to reach out to Jazz fans in Southern Utah is to either put the D-, er, G-League Stars down south (probably in St. George) or have said D-, um, G-League team (or themselves) play a preseason game down south.

 

But we'll have to see how these turn out in real life.

 

Edited by DustDevil61
Cleaning up of words, extra z in "Jazztros" because every Utah team, it seemed, in the mid-late 1990s had not 1 but 2 z's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

 

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jaztros jerseys.

 

Yep, I'm stealing the word Jazztros. Genius portmanteau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Third time this year I've watched the Celtics in road green against a team in tonally similar blue such that it's hard to watch. Especially when I'm watching with Flux on on my computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

 

As one who grew up in Southern Utah, I love the idea that Jazz brass is reaching out to the far-flung fans with these Utah Jaztros jerseys. I also love the idea of the Astros-style gradient being used in other sports (with proper restraint, of course). Even if the general public finds them hideous, they'll at least be memorable.

 

That said, they should've looked to last year's Pride jerseys and kept the Red Rock Desert motif to a stripe on the jersey (with either a green or blue jersey color base), at least in my opinion. The "UTAH" script and numbers needs to be whatever color is contrasting the yellow and Red-Orange (I think the navy blue would add some pop better than black if that's the side colors), and I'd like to see the orange be on the jersey and not just the shorts.

 

Of course, a better way to reach out to Jazz fans in Southern Utah is to either put the D-, er, G-League Stars down south (probably in St. George) or have said D-, um, G-League team (or themselves) play a preseason game down south.

 

But we'll have to see how these turn out in real life.

 

 

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

 

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am only a casual observer of the NBA, but the color-on-color matchups are driving me to become a non-observer. The NBA is beginning to look like a neighborhood rec league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

 

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

 

My thoughts exactly. Anyone who's been to St. George or any other place in Southern Utah where vegetation is prevalent during the warmer months when the leaves are green,* can tell you that the color green is abundant there and provides a beautiful contrast to the deep red-orange rocks of the region:

 

st-george-city-aerial.jpg.6ad57a0b9c3d86b277e18ef448bd8e30.jpg20bacf3693.thumb.jpeg.03c540c7630f18ef690aac1be818800e.jpeg

 

Though the colors are about right, save for a bit too much yellow and not enough orange, and should any professional team (definitely minor league or lower) take up home in the region (St. George is the obvious choice here), shades of reds and oranges should almost be a requirement:

 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.cc9629a116c2f89b3b466b3b91db85ea.jpgstaircase.jpg.cd5cb9b89e9919d300e3579c81fc13ba.jpg

 

I couldn't mention Southern Utah without throwing in a shoutout to my hometown Kanab (the 3rd one down, though I didn't take it)!! ;)

 

In fact, I've had the idea to use something like the Astros' rainbow gut uniforms on a couple sport uniform concepts for a fictional St. George-based team or two...if I can find the time for it.

 

*Though, if you don't like getting scorched, try to avoid St. George in June, where summer is at its hottest and before the mid- to late-summer monsoons some in to cool things down. ;)

 

Edited by DustDevil61
;) +1 then where vegetation is abundant then StG concept then shoutout then team color requirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am only a casual observer of the NBA, but the color-on-color matchups are driving me to become a non-observer. The NBA is beginning to look like a neighborhood rec league.

 

It's really, really stupid. And it feels like the only reason they're doing it is because they can; it doesn't look aesthetically better and in point of fact makes it harder to watch games.

 

We've already had road teams wearing white against the Lakers wearing yellow at home, which, again, seems to happen for funsies rather than any real aesthetic reason.

 

The NBA had a long-standing rule of white at home (except the Lakers) and dark on the road and it worked pretty well for like 60 years. Why not just continue with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

 

It's really, really stupid. And it feels like the only reason they're doing it is because they can; it doesn't look aesthetically better and in point of fact makes it harder to watch games.

 

We've already had road teams wearing white against the Lakers wearing yellow at home, which, again, seems to happen for funsies rather than any real aesthetic reason.

 

The NBA had a long-standing rule of white at home (except the Lakers) and dark on the road and it worked pretty well for like 60 years. Why not just continue with that?

 

Money.

 

They want to sell as many different types of jerseys as they can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

 

I love the idea of it being a stripe or side panel against navy or green. I think it’d look really good against green especially. I really wish they would’ve gone that route instead - keeping the desert sunset tribute intact while being tasteful about it.

 

The problem isn’t in the idea itself - Utah sunsets and the southern deserts are pretty breathtaking - it’s just that I’m not sure this is the best way to execute it.

I think that's my thoughts on it. I don't mind the idea and in can be akin to the mountain jerseys but from what Conrad mocked up I think it's too much, especially compared to what the rest of the Jazz branding is.

 

Using the Jazztros example, it should be more like the left than the right.

astros-tequila-sunrise1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think that's my thoughts on it. I don't mind the idea and in can be akin to the mountain jerseys but from what Conrad mocked up I think it's too much, especially compared to what the rest of the Jazz branding is.

 

Using the Jazztros example, it should be more like the left than the right.

astros-tequila-sunrise1.png

So you'd want tequila DePaul then?

 

screen-shot-2014-03-06-at-11-36-49-am.pn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

So you'd want tequila DePaul then?

 

screen-shot-2014-03-06-at-11-36-49-am.pn

Sort of I guess.

 

I was more meaning instead of making the entire jersey the gradient, just have it as the side panels or trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the Bucks' Irish Rainbow unis? They used the Astros' stripe pattern for side panels and warmups from '77 - '93.

 

Fun fact - Sand Knit's name for that design was "UltraStripe". Ripon Athletic (who I believe bought SK's intellectual property) still produce a version of that uni to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Covered this today in my update over at uni-watch, but it will be very interesting to see if there is a shift in the number of color vs. color games after Thanksgiving. Right now 12% of games have been color vs. color, but literally half of the league has a white jersey and a blue jersey - so none of those teams can go color vs. color at this point. Obviously that's not the cause for EVERY situation where the road team has worn white, but it's certainly been a contributing factor.

 

Putting aside what seems to be the strong preference for traditional home whites/road darks, are people more receptive to color vs. color than home dark/road white? Just curious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some additional stats from my tracking:

 

The following six teams have worn only white at home:

  • Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, New York, Phoenix, San Antonio (combined 19-10 record in those games)

The following five teams have worn only dark at home:

  • Brooklyn, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Sacramento (combined 8-12)

Most consecutive games in one uniform: 8 - Sacramento (purple) & Orlando (blue)

Most color vs. color games: 4 - Boston (4-0), Chicago (1-3), Houston (3-1)

Most frequent color vs. color matchup: red vs. blue (eight games, home team has been in red six of the eight)

Undefeated uniforms (minimum 2 games): 4 - Golden State Classic (2-0), Philadelphia white (2-0), Raptors white (3-0), Jazz white (2-0)

Winless uniforms (minimum 2 games): 2 - Brooklyn white (0-2), Dallas blue (0-6)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to figure out where Memphis is going with their "City" uniforms. Does anyone know?

Are they going for an Elvis/Jailhouse Rock style with the black & white?

Are they referencing civil rights protest signs from the '60s?

memphis.jpg

withers.archiving1.t1larg.jpg

All I can think of. But I don't know Memphis very well, maybe that's the style of a well-known sign around town and I just couldn't find it on the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coachcw_51 said:

Covered this today in my update over at uni-watch, but it will be very interesting to see if there is a shift in the number of color vs. color games after Thanksgiving. Right now 12% of games have been color vs. color, but literally half of the league has a white jersey and a blue jersey - so none of those teams can go color vs. color at this point. Obviously that's not the cause for EVERY situation where the road team has worn white, but it's certainly been a contributing factor.

 

Putting aside what seems to be the strong preference for traditional home whites/road darks, are people more receptive to color vs. color than home dark/road white? Just curious!

 

I am anticipating more Color vs. Color games after Thanksgiving. Personally, I like them better -- within reason. I am not a fan of the green (Boston) and blue (Cleveland) match ups, but I love the red (Houston/Chicago/Toronto) and blue/black (Atlanta/Philadelphia/Utah/Detroit) matchups.

 

I am KINDA getting used to the home dark vs. road white matchups ... but, they're still a bit weird, especially when it's the Lakers wearing white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, eRay said:

Trying to figure out where Memphis is going with their "City" uniforms. Does anyone know?

Are they going for an Elvis/Jailhouse Rock style with the black & white?

Are they referencing civil rights protest signs from the '60s?

memphis.jpg

withers.archiving1.t1larg.jpg

All I can think of. But I don't know Memphis very well, maybe that's the style of a well-known sign around town and I just couldn't find it on the net.

 

I am sure when it's unveiled we'll get some wonderful Nike-esque explanation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now