College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

buckeye

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Loyalty to shoe companies is stupid.

3 minutes ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

The fact that young people can attach themselves to having products of a company that only wants their money and doesn't care about them otherwise is pretty messed up honestly, at least in my opinion.

I'm dealing with this right now at home.  My 9 year old has an annoying follower in his class who decided one day to make fun of my kid's shoes because there wasn't any visible manufacturer's logo to be seen.  My son asked me why it was so important for some of his friends to always wear Nike shoes. He's a pretty smart kid, so he basically only had to ask two questions.  His first question... "What's so special about Nike shoes?"  My answer... "They cost four times as much as yours, for no readily identifiable reason... that's kind of special."  His second question... "Why does having that name on the side of their shoes mean so much to some guys?'  My answer... "Some of your friend are mouth-breathing idiots who get their self-esteem out of boxes." Those answers seem to satisfy him for now. I'm sure when he's a teenager we'll have to revisit this crap. 

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm dealing with this right now at home.  My 9 year old has an annoying follower in his class who decided one day to make fun of my kid's shoes because there wasn't any visible manufacturer's logo to be seen.  My son asked me why it was so important for some of his friends to always wear Nike shoes. He's a pretty smart kid, so he basically only had to ask two questions.  His first question... "What's so special about Nike shoes?"  My answer... "They cost four times as much as yours, for no readily identifiable reason... that's kind of special."  His second question... "Why does having that name on the side of their shoes mean so much to some guys?'  My answer... "Some of your friend are mouth-breathing idiots who get their self-esteem out of boxes." Those answers seem to satisfy him for now. I'm sure when he's a teenager we'll have to revisit this crap. 

If the arc of my life is any indication, those teen years discussions will go badly for you and you'll have to rely on "that costs too much" and end up making concessions to dealing with the hell of adolescence. The quality of your parenting on this point should pay off further down the road though, when you end up with a large adult son who doesn't act like a "large adult son"

Brand loyalty isn't something exclusive to shoe brands though. It is interwoven in everything we consume. There is a reason you buy a Coke instead of the Walmart brand, even though they are likely the same. 

42 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

Brand loyalty isn't something exclusive to shoe brands though. It is interwoven in everything we consume. There is a reason you buy a Coke instead of the Walmart brand, even though they are likely the same. 

Exactly. Learned about this in ethics class. It's the brand name that makes the price go up. Personally, I try and find the best deal for the best brand when I shop for stuff. High end thrift stores likes Plato's Closet are a life-saver. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

There is a reason you buy a Coke instead of the Walmart brand, even though they are likely the same.

I have as much loyalty to Coke as I have to Nike. None.

The difference being that Coke doesn't have legions of gullible people telling to like their latest aesthetic abominations.

Hell, the people who were loyal to Coke as a brand practically rebelled when Coke messed with what worked (see Coke, New). Nike's been doing the uniform equivalent of New Coke for over a decade and the Swooshketeers eat it up every time.

20 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I have as much loyalty to Coke as I have to Nike. None.

The difference being that Coke doesn't have legions of gullible people telling to like their latest aesthetic abominations.

Hell, the people who were loyal to Coke as a brand practically rebelled when Coke messed with what worked (see Coke, New). Nike's been doing the uniform equivalent of New Coke for over a decade and the Swooshketeers eat it up every time.

But to be fair, Nike has this kind of loyalty bc they have outstanding marketing. You have to give credit to them for that, whether or not you like them. Their fans didn't just fall from the sky, them and their allegiances were built over the course of decades. Nike wasn't always an iconic brand, they built that over time. 

11 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

But to be fair, Nike has this kind of loyalty bc they have outstanding marketing. You have to give credit to them for that, whether or not you like them. Their fans didn't just fall from the sky, them and their allegiances were built over the course of decades. Nike wasn't always an iconic brand, they built that over time. 

Nike's been an iconic brand for as long as I've been around, and I'm now old enough that I'm no longer in their target demographic. Nike targets kids and young adults in their early 20s. Nike has most certainly been an iconic brand for as long as those people have been around.

As far as marketing goes? Yeah, their marketing is top notch.

What I'm saying, however, is that it's foolish to hold such loyalty for a shoe company. Nike, at the end of the day, is just the manufacturer. The teams should be the main event, but Nike's successfully turned it around to the point where now the teams are just vehicles for Nike's own branding. Smart marketing? Sure. That doesn't mean it's not profoundly stupid though.

The loyalty to shoe brands, especially Nike is fascinating to me. I remmeber being gobsmacked that there were people excited to buy the new Grizzlies jerseys when the NBA switched to Nike. If you pointed out that the jerseys were virtually identica, they'd tell you that the swoosh mattered that much. So odd. 

I personally have mostly Adidas gear but that's been mostly a product of the timing of sales and the three teams I buy the most merch for (Arkansas State, Sporting KC, and the Grizz) being Adidas for most of the time I've had a disposable income. 

6 hours ago, RichO said:

If the arc of my life is any indication, those teen years discussions will go badly for you and you'll have to rely on "that costs too much" and end up making concessions to dealing with the hell of adolescence. The quality of your parenting on this point should pay off further down the road though, when you end up with a large adult son who doesn't act like a "large adult son"

I have no doubt you're right, but the good news he's already getting a steady dose of "that costs too much" so he should be well used to it by the time he's 16.  Unfortunately for both my boys (9 and 6) they have the bad luck of ending up with a father who decided about 25 years ago that "Fine Art" sounded like a viable career choice.  They are free to wear $100 shoes just as soon as they have that much of their own cash in their pockets. In the meantime, if they're interested in musical instruments, or karate classes, or Photoshop software, or a decent camera, I'll gladly do the overtime.

18 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

I can attest to this. I used to hate Nike because the designs they came up with were horrible. Over time they started to embrace different clothing, shoe and uniform ideas that looked better and I liked those looks better than what Starter, Champion and Wilson put out. Adidas went in the opposite direction.  They always tried to find ways to put 3 stripes on everything but came up with multiple ways of doing it in the early MLS era. Then once they were the league wide sponsor everyone started to look too similar except for colors and the occassional collar changes. In football, the Primeknit/Techfit uniforms have shown the restrictions of the design, especially the uniform pattern that shows up on every color except white. Nike has started to fall into that trap of templating of the primary soccer templates with the Vapor uniforms that were so similar that the England away could be confused with the USA aways. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Oregon is asking fans to wear green to the Vegas Bowl next Saturday:

I’m guessing they’ll wear either of these two combos:

aADLg2g.jpg3iiCnRh.jpg

I’ve said a couple times before that I’m hoping they go with the former, but I’d be perfectly fine with the latter as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

They'll probably be worn in their bowl game too so it will be interesting to see if they look closer to the uniforms then due to changes in lighting. The most annoying part of the game was the digital yard numbers when the overlay was still used on top of closeups of the plays. I don't think Army could have picked a better alternate for today than they did. It didn't affect the game but it set up a ton of social network reaction that probably got a few extra eyes on the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived