NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Yes, they are plain. Plain like a practice jersey because practice jerseys don't  have bells and whistles. A lot of people like these because they don't like bells and whistles. People like Coughlin. What do you know, it was his job to accept and reject the final design. If simple equals practice jersey, then that isn't the insult you think it is. So yes, they resemble practice jerseys. Well, lots of people think that looks really nice.

Pant stripes are "bells and whistles"?

49 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

From my perspective, the phrase "practice uniforms" doesn't just refer to the simplicity of the uniforms. It's a relative term comparing the new uniforms to the old ones. Like how practice jerseys are stripped down versions of a team's primary jerseys, the new Jacksonville uniforms seem like simplified versions of the previous ones. In both cases, colors other than the primary are removed, numbers are without strokes, and stripes and patches are at a minimum. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Simple designs can be good, even great, but the context of the team matters. Jacksonville has a unique and modern color scheme, giving them potential for a striking look. These uniforms are a complete miss to me because they fall so far short of what could have been. I think j'villejags absolutely nailed the combination between traditional and modern, fully fleshing out every color and creating a distinct brand identity. 

You actually make a very good “practice jersey” point? But it came from the further description. My issue is the times when people just say “it looks like practice jerseys” and leave it at that.

As for the the actual design of the uniforms, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying what they did was perfect, I completely agree there’s more to be desired, but I still think it’s a solid look with the teal jerseys. Granted, once they start wearing black every week and teal is virtually eliminated from the look, that’ll be a major issue.  

7 hours ago, jn8 said:

Goodness, did anyone catch the Raiders game?

fKrKC8B.jpg

Seeing those two helmets together in the same photo makes me appreciate the single thin black stripe on the Raiders version...

...and further despise the blue/silver/thick blue/silver/blue striping on the Lions version.

Just now, mafiaman said:

Seeing those two helmets together in the same photo makes me appreciate the single thin black stripe on the Raiders version...

...and further despise the blue/silver/thick blue/silver/blue striping on the Lions version.

I kind of think it looks ok. And it does match the thick shoulder stripe and the stripe on the side of their pants is thick as well.

It's possible down the line for a tweak that thins it out. 

20 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I kind of think it looks ok. And it does match the thick shoulder stripe and the stripe on the side of their pants is thick as well.

It's possible down the line for a tweak that thins it out. 

I’ve identified the problem:  it’s the blue pants instead of the silver that I have long-associated with the Lions.

17 hours ago, jn8 said:

Can’t speak for others, but I’ll admit I was doing it on purpose.

Well stop. You claim that calling the new Jags uniforms “practice uniforms” is lazy critique. I’ll take lazy critique over dishonest obtuseness anyday though.

You can’t argue in bad faith and then demand others raise the standard of debate. 

17 hours ago, jn8 said:

You don’t like it? Fine, I don’t care. That’s your opinion, but if you’re gonna criticize, at least give reasons behind it. You want more gold? Pant stripes? That’s fair, and both legitimate critiques. 

Well there you go. That’s why the current Jags set fails. It’s a massive over-correction. 

The Jags’ last set was a gaudy and stupid clown suit. They over-reacted by stripping nearly all character from the uniforms to the point that they’re even more basic then the league’s traditional looks.

It’s made all the worse because the Jags’ innagural set was plenty traditional. It had a basic football uniform layout. Stripes on the sleeves, stripes on the pants, number outlines. The only things “modern” were the colour scheme and the addition of the prowling jaguar logo above the sleeve stripes. All in all? The first Jags look was pretty damn traditional in layout. 

So if the Jags wanted something traditional? They had perfect uniforms in their history to reference, if not fall back on entirely. 

And instead they chose uniforms devoid of nearly any distinguishing features. No gold, no pants stripes, no sleeve stripes.

I’m a fan of tradional uniforms, but the Jags took it too far. There’s nothing to like here because there’s almost nothing here, period. 

17 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I’m a fan of tradional uniforms, but the Jags took it too far. There’s nothing to like here because there’s almost nothing here, period. 

I like the new uniforms.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

46 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They over-reacted by stripping nearly all character from the uniforms to the point that they’re even more basic then the league’s traditional looks.

This just isn't true though. They only thing on the Jaguars uniform more basic then traditional looks would be the pants. They have a unique sock stripe, unique sleeve stripe, a unique collar design and a patch on the heart. That is either more OR on par with all of the most traditional looks in the league.

47 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well stop. You claim that calling the new Jags uniforms “practice uniforms” is lazy critique. I’ll take lazy critique over dishonest obtuseness anyday though.

You can’t argue in bad faith and then demand others raise the standard of debate. 

This is fair, and I apologize. I was fed up with seeing “practice uniforms” over and over and over and I used an extreme counter example in a sarcastic manner. I don’t necessarily feel it was being dishonest, I was just saying that comparing something to a practice uniform may not be the best example, especially when many great classic uniforms are relatively plain. I didn’t elaborate on my original point, so to say I argued in bad faith is completely fair, and I apologize for that. 

54 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well there you go. That’s why the current Jags set fails. It’s a massive over-correction. 

The Jags’ last set was a gaudy and stupid clown suit. They over-reacted by stripping nearly all character from the uniforms to the point that they’re even more basic then the league’s traditional looks.

It’s made all the worse because the Jags’ innagural set was plenty traditional. It had a basic football uniform layout. Stripes on the sleeves, stripes on the pants, number outlines. The only things “modern” were the colour scheme and the addition of the prowling jaguar logo above the sleeve stripes. All in all? The first Jags look was pretty damn traditional in layout. 

So if the Jags wanted something traditional? They had perfect uniforms in their history to reference, if not fall back on entirely. 

And instead they chose uniforms devoid of nearly any distinguishing features. No gold, no pants stripes, no sleeve stripes.

I agree with most of your points here. They did take it too far, they had a great uniform to fall back on but didn’t, got rid of pant stripes, and removed all gold outside the logo. They screwed up. But to say the new set is terrible? Complete over exaggeration. It’s plain, yes, but I actually really like it. Gold should be used more and pant stripes would make it 100x better, but I’m definitely happy with what they wore last week.

Black being the primary is a huge mistake though...

I like the new uniforms but they are definitely more on the plain side. I would have like to have seen some sleeve stripes or even an outline around the numbers. Still, they are a massive improvement over the previous set. 

Also, how many times do you think they will go all-black? That will look very similar to the Miami Sharks in Any Given Sunday.

lxnGNUu.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gr3g3 said:

This just isn't true though. They only thing on the Jaguars uniform more basic then traditional looks would be the pants. They have a unique sock stripe, unique sleeve stripe, a unique collar design and a patch on the heart. That is either more OR on par with all of the most traditional looks in the league.

These “unique” aspects are so small they get lost on the majority of the players. The sleeve stripes either get tucked under the pads or get lost in the undershirts. The sock stripe is barely even there and gets tucked underneith a lot of players outer socks. The collar design is the only thing that doesn’t get obstructed by anything but it too is so small it doesn’t get a lot of attention as well.

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

They remind me of the uniforms the other side of the ball wears in Madden for practice mode. 

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Jags just need a few tweaks. Teal needs to be primary. More gold. Add some damn pants stripe. I’m tired of yoga pants. They don’t look good ever. 

This. So close to being great. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

These “unique” aspects are so small they get lost on the majority of the players. The sleeve stripes either get tucked under the pads or get lost in the undershirts. The sock stripe is barely even there and gets tucked underneith a lot of players outer socks. The collar design is the only thing that doesn’t get obstructed by anything but it too is so small it doesn’t get a lot of attention as well.

Exactly there is just nothing to really look at except the teal color but then nothing else to say man these look great. These are not the worst ever I would put them slightly above the rest of the uniforms except of course their initial uniforms & these would be way below those. 

3 hours ago, Gr3g3 said:

“A patch on the heart”? Overly flowery language aside, congrats. They’re two decades behind the Steelers and Jets on that one. 

As for everything else? Sorry, I don’t buy it. Outside of the collar design? The “sleeve stripes” and “sock stripes” will barely be noticeable because they barely qualify as noticeable design. The entire look lacks anything to make it stand out. 

And this will become very very apparent whe they’re wearing black and white for the majority of the season.

3 hours ago, jn8 said:

But to say the new set is terrible? Complete over exaggeration.

I never said it was terrible. It would need distinguishing features to be terrible :D 

And I’ll say this. The current look is miles ahead of anything the last set had. If only for their current gorgeous helmet. 

It’s not terrible, it just falls far short of what it could have been.  

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Jags just need a few tweaks. Teal needs to be primary. More gold. Add some damn pants stripe. I’m tired of yoga pants. They don’t look good ever. 

When I see people use the term "yoga pants", they're almost always just casual NFL fans and not football fans in general:

Image result for stanford football

Related imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated image

Image result for florida seminoles football

Excuse the amount of pics here. I'm just trying to reiterate how solid of a look this is for football. "Yoga pants" my a**. 

Archived