NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

7 minutes ago, Placebo said:

At least they tried though.

Yeesh. Got ‘em, I guess?? The only thing lazier than that comment is the 2013 Jags lackadaisical effort in throwing wacky, unrelated design elements at the wall, scraping up what remained and calling it a uniform, fire emojis inbound. The 2018 Jags look more like effort to me; effort to restrain themselves in an era where every other team is trying to release off-the-wall uniforms that are “fire” and Instagrammable (Read: Ugly).

”they tried” If effort is ugly, then I’ll gladly crown laziness as King.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gupti said:

Yep, these TightHawks getups are clearly the new-“old” Jags uniforms of the league now.

E416_DE44_0030_4_C21_9884_578940080_CB6.

C030_FD02_56_D5_4087_882_C_D497_A0_AD24_

•Both are comprised of a mish-mash several unrelated design elements that demonstrate an inability in the designers to know when to stop and ultimately are incoherent messes.

•Both are created with dark monochrome combos in mind and insist upon them (and also ignore the teams’ classic, fan favorite colors in favor of darker, more generic ones).

•Both have one contrasting-color element that was clearly shoehorned in because they panicked over not having enough of the fan-favorite “real” colors represented [The Titans armpit stains and Jags contrast sleevecaps, which is clear for them when you consider that earlier renderings shown only had the cuffs colored teal, not the entire sleeve fill-bucketed in).

•Both jumped the shark with their helmets.

•Both have spiky, angular number fonts.

•Both tried to get way too creative with the shoulder area.

•Both have pants stripes/designs that are unrelated geometric shapes and don’t have basis in or match with anything and are pretty ugly. 

•Both suck mightily.

If there was any team that we had to pass that torch off to, at least it was only the Titans.

Despite it's flaws, the Jags set (from the neck down) was super cohesive. Color blocks, sharp pointy angles, whether or not you liked the look...the design made sense as a whole. 

The Titans helmet is very back heavy now with the stroke and the new helmet stripe. I didn't love the previous stripes, but they fit well within the composition of the helmet. 

I don't hate the number font, it performs well enough. 

Like someone pointed out earlier the grays not aligning is a head scratcher. 

The color balance lacks cohesion, the light blue is just out of place and awkard.  

33 minutes ago, henburg said:

A LITTLE LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

I'm admittedly biased because I liked the previous set despite its flaws, but the Jaguars are going to be looking like this 90% of the time next season- 

dut4jcgbqmqvnavg26xj.jpg

How can we really call that an improvement? I don't want to hear any more comparisons to the Giants and 49ers to defend this set either. They're not valid because it's like the Jaguars are trying to play dress-up as one of these teams, and it's not fitting of their identity at all. Neither of those teams are emphasizing a scheme of black and white either. 

Could the Jags have used maybe a touch of gold and something on their pants?

Yes, but this is still a very solid look. I love that they didn't overthink the helmet. 

25 minutes ago, GFB said:

DobbsTDBestPhotoFromGame.JPG

0830colrodrigue-panthers_306.JPG

Burn the white pants.

I like the new combos, i just hate how that uniform has evolved on the modern cut of uniforms. I feel like it could work on a nike template. They'd fall somewhere between the Texans and the Colts. The pants would for sure benefit from Nike's template, would avoid the warping. 

I still hate that helmet stripe. Makes for  a very cluttered look. Doesn't give the decals room to breathe. 

57 minutes ago, henburg said:

A LITTLE LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK

I'm admittedly biased because I liked the previous set despite its flaws, but the Jaguars are going to be looking like this 90% of the time next season- 

dut4jcgbqmqvnavg26xj.jpg

How can we really call that an improvement? I don't want to hear any more comparisons to the Giants and 49ers to defend this set either. They're not valid because it's like the Jaguars are trying to play dress-up as one of these teams, and it's not fitting of their identity at all. Neither of those teams are emphasizing a scheme of black and white either. 

that black over white a great looking combo. i love it

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If the Titans must put the logo on a blue helmet I think it would've been better served by losing the outline. The flames still read, but it's not as busy as it is with the outline. 

DFdptpd.png

Also that number font is really close to being worse than Tampa's, which is hard to do. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, henburg said:

dut4jcgbqmqvnavg26xj.jpg

How can we really call that an improvement?

It's an improvement.

1 hour ago, Placebo said:

At least they tried though.

Wow.  I suppose Joseph Hazelwood tried to pilot the boat, too.

If the 2013 - 2017 Jaguars uniform is an example of someone trying, I pray no one ever tries that hard again.

Once again, I find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending the obviously flawed new Jags' uniform. Stop trying to revise history with the "not bad except for helmet" comments about last year's mess, just because you find the new look plain. It reminds me of when Nixon died and everyone decided he wasn't so bad after all.

12 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

If the Titans must put the logo on a blue helmet I think it would've been better served by losing the outline. The flames still read, but it's not as busy as it is with the outline. 

DFdptpd.png

Also that number font is really close to being worse than Tampa's, which is hard to do. 

100%. I think the flames could be beefed up an re-contoured a little bit to have the same presence and flair that they do with the navy outline, but the mark itself looks much cleaner and less fussy without the additional outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Gupti said:

Yeesh. Got ‘em, I guess?? The only thing lazier than that comment is the 2013 Jags lackadaisical effort in throwing wacky, unrelated design elements at the wall, scraping up what remained and calling it a uniform, fire emojis inbound. The 2018 Jags look more like effort to me; effort to restrain themselves in an era where every other team is trying to release off-the-wall uniforms that are “fire” and Instagrammable (Read: Ugly).

”they tried” If effort is ugly, then I’ll gladly crown laziness as King.

The Titans design is not good,  but not all together awful. If you had a more contrasting logo/helmet colour and got rid of the yoke it really is just middle of the road. You could get rid of the pit stains too. But, at 100 feet away lyou know what team it is. 

The Jaguars are not "simple is better" they are just bland and devoid of any design at all.

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It's an improvement.

Wow.  I suppose Joseph Hazelwood tried to pilot the boat, too.

If the 2013 - 2017 Jaguars uniform is an example of someone trying, I pray no one ever tries that hard again.

Once again, I find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending the obviously flawed new Jags' uniform. Stop trying to revise history with the "not bad except for helmet" comments about last year's mess, just because you find the new look plain. It reminds me of when Nixon died and everyone decided he wasn't so bad after all.

Much like the exhausting "simple is always better because when I was young" argument.

1 hour ago, Placebo said:

Much like the exhausting "simple is always better because when I was young" argument.

You're barking up the wrong tree there, Junior.  "When I was young" these were my favorite uniforms;

nolan-ryan.jpg     7_4.jpg?itok=zTmqtbN4

91waynedavis.png     bosrb.jpg

(Honestly, I still like them all, too.)

Much of that is fairly traditional striping and design (with the exception of maybe Houston and that could be a nostalgia factor).

Being fine with some different colours on really only two of those examples is not really screaming exceptionally open minded to change.

7 hours ago, GFB said:

DobbsTDBestPhotoFromGame.JPG

0830colrodrigue-panthers_306.JPG

Burn the white pants.

I've been fighting myself trying to figure out why I like this set and I think I figured it out: they're playing Pittsburgh.

The dark-dark-light color palette of Pittsburgh's home uniform contrasts with Carolina's light-light-dark setup. 

Pair this combo or the light blue jersey + black pants uniform against the Patriots' away look or anyone else with dark pants, and it doesn't work.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Have we really forgotten how awful the last Jags set was?

(Yes even without the helmet.)

The angular blobs on the pants didn’t correspond to anything. The different textures on the shoulders was ok in concept but never quite looked right. The pointed elements in the collar didn’t get worked out until the temple changed. And all of that was exacerbated by the fact that the only way for the uniform to have any coherence was to go mono black or mono white. 

The current set, though definitely an over correction, is still much better. All the design features have some level of coherence with a tapering effect on the collar, sleeve cuff, and socks holding true throughout. 

Could it it use some gold? Sure. But it isn’t making my brain hurt to look at it. 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

This is a pretty good look but I still prefer the white pants.

I’m not saying black pants all the time, but every jersey combination that the Panthers could wear (black, blue, or white) looks better with silver pants than white pants anyway. 

Archived