msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/03/2018 at 10:07 AM, Gothamite said:

Paging @Ferdinand Cesarano.... B)

5567047_orig.jpg

Mi dankas vin pro la alvoko!

But, even though I have spoken Esperanto for nearly 30 years and am an ardent proponent of it because of its absolute regularity, I do not support spelling reform in English.  English spelling is difficult to learn; but it is not chaotic.  The spelling of every word reveals something about the word's history.

For instance, "yolk" comes from the Old English word for "yellow".  I don't think that the other Germanic languages used that word to mean "yolk"; their words for "yolk" are not similar to the English word.  French uses the same strategy that produced the English word "yolk"; but the word for "yolk" never diverged from the word for "yellow".  (And, likewise, in Esperanto "yolk" is simply "ovoflavo", or "the yellow of the egg").  

Meanwhile, "yoke" has had the meaning associated with tying two things (usually animals) together since Proto-Indo-European. The words for "yoke" in all the Germanic and Romance languages resemble the English word closely; and the earliest Proto-Germanic ancestor to this word is a cognate to words in its sister Indo-European languages Latin, Ancient Greek, and Sanskrit.  

Spelling reform in English is as bad as the Cleveland deal, in that both hide the actual facts of history.

[[BONUS CONTENT]]

Confusion between words is possible even in Esperanto.  Esperanto words are formed by putting together roots, with no changes to the spelling of the roots.  However, sometimes a given combination can be analysed in more than one way.  If you call someone "sentema", that could mean that you are saying that that person is sentimental ("sent-", meaning "sentiment", combined with the suffix "-ema", meaning "having a tendency"), or it could mean that you are saying that the person has no point to make ("sen-", meaning "without"; "tem-", meaning "theme, subject"; "-a", the adjective suffix).

Once when I was in an Esperanto chat room but had missed a bit of the conversation, I came back and mentioned that I now had to "retrolegi".  By this I meant "retro-legi", literally "to back-read", or read what I had missed.  However, I was quickly reminded of the other possible interpretations of this word:

ret-rol-egi = to play a big part on the internet

re-trol-egi = to troll hard again

re-tro-legi = to read too much again

In practice, actual misunderstandings of this sort are exceedingly rare.  But an Esperantist who is particularly petolema ("playful" -- note that -ema ending that we saw earlier!) can use this in order to do some clever kalemburado ("punning").

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/14/2018 at 9:27 AM, dirwuf said:

So other than the one initial report, have we heard anything regarding the Dolphins "evolution"? I don't think the team has even officially confirmed this, much less given a timeline for the unveiling....

I've been noticing something on social media and on the http://www.miamidolphins.com/

Lots of that anthracite/grey color. Like, lots. In fact, the website has no blue at all (not that it did in the previous iteration before the site redesign last summer). The Miami Herald did report changes to the logo. I wonder if they would replace the blue with a dark anthracite and call it Miami Storm Grey or something like that. I remember back when this set was introduced, one of the big points was that the white represented the beach, orange the Miami sunset, and the aqua the clear waters. And Mr. Moore did mention a talk with Ross about what Miami is today. They could even use that color as a Color Rush jersey that isn't mocked widely for being very bright (the orange of 2016).

Probably conjecture and overthinking, but as a fan with newborns waiting for anything on how things are going to change (yes, I'm a big enough nerd to wait even if all that is changing is the shade of aqua) so that he can buy them gear for the fall. I figured I would toss out a thought to at least facilitate discussion.

dolphins2.png

5 hours ago, arkansasdolfan said:

I've been noticing something on social media and on the http://www.miamidolphins.com/

Lots of that anthracite/grey color. Like, lots. In fact, the website has no blue at all (not that it did in the previous iteration before the site redesign last summer). The Miami Herald did report changes to the logo. I wonder if they would replace the blue with a dark anthracite and call it Miami Storm Grey or something like that. I remember back when this set was introduced, one of the big points was that the white represented the beach, orange the Miami sunset, and the aqua the clear waters. And Mr. Moore did mention a talk with Ross about what Miami is today. They could even use that color as a Color Rush jersey that isn't mocked widely for being very bright (the orange of 2016).

Probably conjecture and overthinking, but as a fan with newborns waiting for anything on how things are going to change (yes, I'm a big enough nerd to wait even if all that is changing is the shade of aqua) so that he can buy them gear for the fall. I figured I would toss out a thought to at least facilitate discussion.

Wow - you're not kidding.  Almost no Blue at all.  Lots of Charcoal/Grey/Anthracite.  It looks good, too - the bit of Orange on Grey makes me think of Tennessee's now-retired Smokey Mountain Grey uniforms.  Worked well in the Pro Bowl unis several years ago and I could see that as a Color Rush.  Interesting to see if it replaces Navy.

27 minutes ago, Volt said:

Wow - you're not kidding.  Almost no Blue at all.  Lots of Charcoal/Grey/Anthracite.  It looks good, too - the bit of Orange on Grey makes me think of Tennessee's now-retired Smokey Mountain Grey uniforms.  Worked well in the Pro Bowl unis several years ago and I could see that as a Color Rush.  Interesting to see if it replaces Navy.

What's further interesting is that this video with Walt Aikens seems to feature an updated version of the logo. I'm not talking about the color (it appears to be a standard one color treatment in either white or, coincidentally, grey). But it was the eye that tipped me off first. The pupil appears to be at the back of the eye hole instead of forward facing. And the more I looked at it, the more I noticed subtle differences to the dolphin itself. It appears to be slightly streamlined with fewer lines in total. If this is the direction they are going, it's possible they are making the dolphin only aqua, killing the blue part of the logo to meld in with the aqua, and streamline some of the excess in order to make it just the one color dolphin (plus the white, which I would assume would be the negative space seen on the sign).

Again, I'm probably overthinking this. But I've never seen them do an interview in front of a sign/logo like that before. It's curious, though probably nothing.

dolphins2.png

10 hours ago, arkansasdolfan said:

What's further interesting is that this video with Walt Aikens seems to feature an updated version of the logo. I'm not talking about the color (it appears to be a standard one color treatment in either white or, coincidentally, grey). But it was the eye that tipped me off first. The pupil appears to be at the back of the eye hole instead of forward facing. And the more I looked at it, the more I noticed subtle differences to the dolphin itself. It appears to be slightly streamlined with fewer lines in total. If this is the direction they are going, it's possible they are making the dolphin only aqua, killing the blue part of the logo to meld in with the aqua, and streamline some of the excess in order to make it just the one color dolphin (plus the white, which I would assume would be the negative space seen on the sign).

Again, I'm probably overthinking this. But I've never seen them do an interview in front of a sign/logo like that before. It's curious, though probably nothing.

I would say thats just the "one color" simplified version of the logo which happens to silver/grey for aesthetic reasons in whatever room that is. 

On 3/9/2018 at 11:29 AM, CS85 said:

Since roughly 2007, the Bears haven't worn white on white a single time that I can remember.

They wore white pants and socks on the road through most of 2008, the Return of Kyle Orton year. They looked really good and they should wear that combination more.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/16/2018 at 8:08 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Can we just page Brandon Moore about the Dolphins changes? If he's been in charge of creating their graphics I bet he knows something! 

Probably not. I'm guessing NDA's 'til next month.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, arkansasdolfan said:

The eye definitely looks different. The logo changes are said to be minor so it could be that. 

I wish they would change the posture of the dolphin back to the more natural position of previous logos. The current posture makes the logo damn near illegible at small sizes. Looks like a toothpaste swirl. 

If they ditch the navy blue for the bottom half of the logo, it will look less like toothpaste, but probably even more difficult to read as the fin will blend in with the lower part of the body. It will look like a sea slug.

3 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

The guy who tweeted it said it is a mesh color collar now. 

Wasn’t that already a thing all of last season?

834110946-baltimore-ravens-v-miami-dolph

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived