Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

 

Yes.  The first set of sleeve stripes was better.  Details matter. 

 

Personally, I don’t get why people come to a community like this and openly wonder why we care about the things this community is dedicated to.

 

What details? They're almost the same thing. You say the white on yellow looks muddy but what about the Viking old jerseys?-

 

The community is for general logo discussion. I said why do people like old uniforms  when they look near  identical

 

Has there ever been a uniform design you prefer over the original?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Waste of a throwback IMO.

Yes.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They did have bold, solid block numbers.  Those are the defining feature of the throwbacks, and those are what should be brought back on the regular jerseys.

I've given plenty of thought into this, but I think the italics should stay. First of all, they don't look bad at all; in fact they look decent. Secondly, it's been over twenty years since they've kissed the blocks goodbye, and the italics have their "own" legacy. That being said, these throwbacks don't offer much, although it will appease me to see the B's in vintage gear.

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Their throwback unis are just the block numbers? That's kinda lame. Was hoping for something different like Yellow jerseys. This seems lazy. 

I too was hoping for yellow gold uniforms. I guess this goes along with what the late Dan Rooney said when choosing for CR: The Steelers are a 'black' team.

 

I will say that there is definitely some variation between the blocks and italics though. I always forget that Rod Woodson and Bell wear/wore the same number, but with the blocks that will be engraved in my memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harmening said:

Yes, do start.  Because the Steelers look great with a gray facemask. Helps to tie in the gray outline surrounding the logo.

I'll concede that though I prefer black because gray isn't really a steeler color and by that logic they need more red, white and blue but most gray facemask look ugly. Steelers and eagles are the only teams allowed to do it because that's their colors. Also I saw a person on Reddit analyse all nfl uniforms and he criticized the Vikings for using black because the only black is outling the horns and the 49ers old uniforms got flack for unnecessary black do it also applies here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

If you ever wanted an idea of what a gold Redskins helmet would look like, DJ Swearinger has you covered

 

 

Or, you could be old like me and remember when they actually wore that color :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Or, you could be old like me and remember when they actually wore that color :-)

 

I remember the 75th anniversary throwbacks in 2007, those were good! I wasn't around at the time of the actual uniform, but weren't those considered to be Lombardi trying to make the skins look like the Packers?

 

I'd love to see it as an alternate again. Alas, we live in the era of one helmet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

 

I've given plenty of thought into this, but I think the italics should stay. First of all, they don't look bad at all; in fact they look decent.

 

I'm confused.  Is this praise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

I'll concede that though I prefer black because gray isn't really a steeler color and by that logic they need more red, white and blue but most gray facemask look ugly. Steelers and eagles are the only teams allowed to do it because that's their colors. Also I saw a person on Reddit analyse all nfl uniforms and he criticized the Vikings for using black because the only black is outling the horns and the 49ers old uniforms got flack for unnecessary black do it also applies here

There's more grey than red or blue on their logo.. Grey masks are always ok, and sometimes great.. They never look "wrong" because it used to be the standard.. I prefer the Steelers in black - by a LONG shot, but that doesn't mean grey would be bad.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

 

I remember the 75th anniversary throwbacks in 2007, those were good! I wasn't around at the time of the actual uniform, but weren't those considered to be Lombardi trying to make the skins look like the Packers?

 

I'd love to see it as an alternate again. Alas, we live in the era of one helmet. 

Yes - that was certainly Vince trying to have the Redskins look like the Packers. The sad thing is that he died before the team took the field in those uniforms.

 

If I have to source this, I'm sure it is mentioned in 'When Pride Still Mattered' by David Maraniss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yes - that was certainly Vince trying to have the Redskins look like the Packers. The sad thing is that he died before the team took the field in those uniforms.

If I have to source this, I'm sure it is mentioned in 'When Pride Still Mattered' by David Maraniss

Yeah, Lombardi brought the look to DC, including the Braisher stripes and the yellow helmet and pants.  I wonder why they went with "R" for Redskins instead of "W" for Washington on the helmets.
Sports_Illustrated_42953_19690728-001-77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Yeah, Lombardi brought the look to DC, including the Braisher stripes and the yellow helmet and pants.  I wonder why they went with "R" for Redskins instead of "W" for Washington on the helmets.
Sports_Illustrated_42953_19690728-001-77

 

would love to see SI try to run that headline today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

What details? They're almost the same thing. You say the white on yellow looks muddy but what about the Viking old jerseys?-

 

I think you're conflating several conversations, quoting one post while referencing another. 

 

Besides, what works in some circumstances doesn't work in others.  "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."  :P

 

3 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

The community is for general logo discussion. I said why do people like old uniforms  when they look near  identical

 

Because they are not identical, and because details matter.  Sometimes the whole point of this site is to talk about the small details that would escape a casual viewer.

 

3 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Has there ever been a uniform design you prefer over the original?

 

You're new here, so you probably don't know that it's considered very poor form to make these conversations personal.  And you also probably don't know that I have been a strong advocate for some modern designs, and some old designs.   Talk about the opinions, not the person behind them, and we'll have much more fun.  :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

would love to see SI try to run that headline today

 

Indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

There's more grey than red or blue on their logo.. Grey masks are always ok, and sometimes great.. They never look "wrong" because it used to be the standard.. I prefer the Steelers in black - by a LONG shot, but that doesn't mean grey would be bad.. 

Barely. Just because the outline is gray doesn't make it one of their colors

 

Gray facemasks make the helmets look washed out and dull. Example when the Browns had a white facemask it looked much brighter than with a gray mask. The giants white facemask also looks much better. The colts look better and so on. There's just no reason to use gray any more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Barely. Just because the outline is gray doesn't make it one of their colors

 

Gray facemasks make the helmets look washed out and dull. Example when the Browns had a white facemask it looked much brighter than with a gray mask. The giants white facemask also looks much better. The colts look better and so on. There's just no reason to use gray any more

I never said it was any of those teams BEST look, but none of them look bad..

Also, if red and blue are going to be considered "Steelers colors", then grey has to be as well.. 

OR we could all agree that none of them are Steelers colors, since we all know they aren't..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think you're conflating several conversations, quoting one post while referencing another. 

 

Besides, what works in some circumstances doesn't work in others.  "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

First yes I am bringing back that last thread when you claim that the packers 'old' uniforms are better. Next how is this

 

GettyImages-491340734%20_OP_1_CP__147380

 

Any better than this? 

 

vikings-throwbacks.jpg

 

Like what makes one with and the other not? To me the Vikings one looks cluttered and pointless

 

Again they are extremely minor so what it isn't noticeable at first glance isn't it silly to make a deal over a tiny stripe? 

 

21 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You're new here, so you probably don't know that it's considered very poor form to make these conversations personal.  And you also probably don't know that I have been a strong advocate for some modern designs, and some old designs.   Talk about the opinions, not the person behind them, and we'll have much more fun

I'm not making this personal it's just a question. What redesign do you prefer over the classic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

First yes I am bringing back that last thread when you claim that the packers 'old' uniforms are better. Next how is this

 

GettyImages-491340734%20_OP_1_CP__147380

 

Any better than this? 

 

vikings-throwbacks.jpg

 

Like what makes one with and the other not? To me the Vikings one looks cluttered and pointless

 

Again they are extremely minor so what it isn't noticeable at first glance isn't it silly to make a deal over a tiny stripe? 

 

I'm not making this personal it's just a question. What redesign do you prefer over the classic

Firstly, the Packers jersey you showed isn't "better" than anything relevant to the discussion.. The point is, it's worse than the Lombardi-era road jersey, due to the unnecessary white spaces between the green and yellew..

Secondly, the Vikings jersey is better, because it's a throwback, and therefore only around once or twice a year, and the "bad design" that it may have is simply commemorating a bygone era of yr team's history - not indicative of a  desire to currently look like that.. Apples and oranges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

If you ever wanted an idea of what a gold Redskins helmet would look like, DJ Swearinger has you covered

 

 

I'm having a hard time deciding if I like that helmet 

 

or this helmet more:

DNWfTsAX4AAB1iB.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

Firstly, the Packers jersey you showed isn't "better" than anything relevant to the discussion.. The point is, it's worse than the Lombardi-era road jersey, due to the unnecessary white spaces between the green and yellew..

Secondly, the Vikings jersey is better, because it's a throwback, and therefore only around once or twice a year, and the "bad design" that it may have is simply commemorating a bygone era of yr team's history - not indicative of a  desire to currently look like that.. Apples and oranges

The white space is to be consistent with the green jerseys. The green Jersey had a green space between the yellow and white so it matches the opposite. I take consistency over minor design flaws. Either have the green jersey go yellow-white-yellow with no green gap or keep it as is

 

People have said to bring them back full time. I'm fine with it as an alternate but full team is too much. I like the creamsicle but I don't want them back full time the blood red is such a badass look yet so many people say bring back the cream orange because Florida 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

The white space is to be consistent with the green jerseys. The green Jersey had a green space between the yellow and white so it matches the opposite. I take consistency over minor design flaws. Either have the green jersey go yellow-white-yellow with no green gap or keep it as is

 

People have said to bring them back full time. I'm fine with it as an alternate but full team is too much. I like the creamsicle but I don't want them back full time the blood red is such a badass look yet so many people say bring back the cream orange because Florida 

It all depends on how you define "consistency".. On the green jersey, yellow never touches white.. So to be consistent with that, those white spaces should be removed.. 

Consistency with no design flaws is greater than consistency with design flaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now