"Fan Favorite" Players

FALCON6

What are some examples of "Fan Favorite" players on your team? I define "Fan Favorite" as a player who is highly appreciated by fans of his team, but not so much outside of those fans. For instance, for the Falcons, Grady Jarrett and Ryan Schraeder fall into this category.

Isn't "Fan Favorite" just code for an undersized (or oversized), white player of any sport who is likely low or undrafted?  The PG of any race, 6 foot and under, also get this tag.

Grady Jarrett kinda gets a pass since he's the bastard child of former Falcon great Jesse Tuggle AND his momma's house burned down over his draft weekend.

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Isn't "Fan Favorite" just code for an undersized (or oversized), white player of any sport who is likely low or undrafted?

Fred Jackson was definitely a "fan favorite" for the Bills. Undrafted from a D3 school, constantly being "replaced" by management, but still doing his job and sticking around.

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Fred Jackson was definitely a "fan favorite" for the Bills. Undrafted from a D3 school, constantly being "replaced" by management, but still doing his job and sticking around.

Roscoe Parrish could fall in that Bills area too.

The MLB and NFL roster beg for such a dude who is called "Scrappy" and/or who "brings his lunch pail".

Herbstreit loves to tell the audience about such a kid.

And such a player is likely, "a son of a coach", too.  So those bastards are freely assaulting women too.

Ricky Rubio is pretty beloved here. Joe Ingles is near cult-hero status.

Royce O’Neale is another guy that fits the “hustle and grind” Jazz mentality and is therefore really loved. There’s always been a line of bench guys like that who’ve played for the team that got a whole lot of well-deserved love. Elijah Millsap and Chris Johnson (who was one of my personal favorites) come to mind. Matt Harpring too if you want to go wayyyy back.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Royce O’Neale is another guy that fits the “hustle and grind” Jazz mentality and is therefore really loved. There’s always been a line of bench guys like that who’ve played for the team that got a whole lot of well-deserved love. Elijah Millsap and Chris Johnson (who was one of my personal favorites) come to mind. Matt Harpring too if you want to go wayyyy back.

Even further back? Antione Carr. You also have, to an extent, Mehmet Okur towards the end of Harpring's playing career.

There's also DeMarre Carroll and Trevor Booker.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

And, David Stockton this year ... for obvious reasons.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

For the Grizzlies, there was Tony Allen. He was a great defender, but hideous offensively. He's a guy that wasn't necessarily super talented, but you could tell he put forth more effort than everybody else. But again, his offense was terrible. He seemingly never made a shot unless he had just missed a shot and got his own rebound, and if he was standing outside the arc it was like he was on an island because the defense knew he wasn't a threat to score even if somebody had the gall to pass the ball to him.

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

For the Grizzlies, there was Tony Allen. He was a great defender, but hideous offensively. He's a guy that wasn't necessarily super talented, but you could tell he put forth more effort than everybody else. But again, his offense was terrible. He seemingly never made a shot unless he had just missed a shot and got his own rebound, and if he was standing outside the arc it was like he was on an island because the defense knew he wasn't a threat to score even if somebody had the gall to pass the ball to him.

He was beloved for that “grit” all the way back to his Boston days. Rationally or by I was mad at the team for years for letting him get away.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Sidney Crosby comes to mind. Penguins fans love him but I think most other people find him absolutely detestable

Considering the sheer amount of hype he has I don’t think he qualifies. You can find little kids in every city wearing Crosby shirts and number 87 in their pee wee leagues.

15 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Considering the sheer amount of hype he has I don’t think he qualifies. You can find little kids in every city wearing Crosby shirts and number 87 in their pee wee leagues.

I assume the topic is mainly about players who are well liked by fans, yet not well known by outsiders.

The 90's Indians had a few players that fit OP's description: Wayne Kirby, Tony Pena, and Paul Sorrento were "fan favorites." 

The Original Browns had guys like PR/KR/WR Gerald MeNeil, Special Teams players like Bennie Thompson and Dino Hall, and D-Lineman Michael Dean Perry. 

Going way back, the 70's Cavs had "Bingo" Bobby Smith and Clarence "Foots" Walker.

Just a few that I remember. 

BB52Big.jpg

Timmy Schaller's been a pretty big fan favorite over the past couple years for the Bruins. Local kid, plays with amazing grit on the 4th line (which fans have been praying for ever since guys like Lucic, Shawn Thornton, etc. left) and shows some amazing sparkles of skill every once in a while too, look up his goal against the Rangers late this year for an example of that. Plus Timmy Heads.

Sd3WtOf.jpg

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

7 hours ago, Cartabago said:

Brian Scalabrine, formerly of the Celtics, is still milking every bit of his "White Mamba" fame.

The walking evidence of white privilege.

though, when he’s talking basketball on TV broadcasts and not getting caught up in his own Legend of Scal, he’s actually a pretty insightful commentator.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived