Czech It Out! Whole New Look for Czech National Team

Czech It Out! Whole New Look for Czech National Team

July 6, 2018 - 13:36 PM

The Czech Republic National hockey team has announced a whole slew of changes recently including a new logo, new uniforms, and even a new name. Yes, after more than 25 years the “Czech Ice Hockey Association” is no more, changing its name […]

Read More...

1 hour ago, aztex82 said:

I’m kind of surprised that the name on the front of the jersey says Czech Republic. The country has been encouraging the use of the name Czechia both internally and externally.

The IIHF might require the official full name to be on the jersey. While Czechia is an official short name, it may not be allowed. (I'm aware of the USA jerseys but you certainly would never see one that simply said "America" on it.)

51 minutes ago, OMMF said:

The IIHF might require the official full name to be on the jersey. While Czechia is an official short name, it may not be allowed. (I'm aware of the USA jerseys but you certainly would never see one that simply said "America" on it.)

I don't think that's it - Sweden's uniforms don't say "Kingdom of Sweden," Russia's don't say "Russian Federation," etc. I would think that the official short name would be allowed. Certainly curious that Czechia went with the full "Czech Republic."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The logo kind of looks like a backward C. I think the logo would look better facing the other way so it resembles a C. I'm not sure if there is cultural significance of the lion facing the way they have it, though.

I think it's a terrific logo.  A shame they're losing the coat of arms, and the name on the jersey seems superfluous, but the logo's great.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

8 hours ago, aztex82 said:

I’m kind of surprised that the name on the front of the jersey says Czech Republic. The country has been encouraging the use of the name Czechia both internally and externally.

I was going to post the same thing.  I'd expect it to be Czechia everywhere but official government / UN stuff.  Not many people knew of the decree to use the short name - pretty much only my fellow geography-nerd friends and I are the only ones I know that use it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think this would've fit a KHL team better than the Czech national team.  The thing they're doing with the crown's color is cool, though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 7/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, GMW79 said:

The sweaters would look better with no word mark on the front.

So true. First time in history a collar has been by far the coolest thing about a uni

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 12:48 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I was going to post the same thing.  I'd expect it to be Czechia everywhere but official government / UN stuff.  Not many people knew of the decree to use the short name - pretty much only my fellow geography-nerd friends and I are the only ones I know that use it.

There is a strange situation about this in our country. Though Czechia is even official one word name for the country for a lot of years, almost no one uses it and no one demands the usage, including the official authorities. 

Anyway, towards the jerseys themselves and the usage of Czech Republic, the reason is this: The mainstream Olympic sports in our country made an agreement they will coordinate the usage of the same name. And they decided to use Czech Republic. Ice hockey organisation would use the Czechia, being that only on themselves, but they decided to keep the line with others.

4 hours ago, hokic said:

There is a strange situation about this in our country. Though Czechia is even official one word name for the country for a lot of years, almost no one uses it and no one demands the usage, including the official authorities. 

That is kind of funny given the North American online contingent who so fastidiously use "Czechia" at every turn. Good to know we can just keep calling it what we've been calling it for the last thirty years.

16 hours ago, walby2 said:

That is kind of funny given the North American online contingent who so fastidiously use "Czechia" at every turn. Good to know we can just keep calling it what we've been calling it for the last thirty years.

Lets hope we will follow the world some day :) It has been similar in our own language where the word "Česko" was not welcomed much by a lot of people, including me, back in 90s and now it is absolutely normal part of the spoken Czech language. I suppose Czechia would be the same. 

Archived