Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

43 minutes ago, colortv said:

s-l1600.jpg

these are great better than the new ones. Fair to say these new jerseys will be the worst the Lakers have ever worn and if they remove the stripped shorts it would not even be a debate. Amazing how they've managed to screw this up  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m a Clipper fan so I’m used to terrible uniforms, but I don’t see how these are so awful at all. All the fixes I’m reading basically bring back the Magic era unis and that isn’t going to happen, nor should it.

I like that different eras have different looks that represent them. I think the Lakers did what any look inspired by the past should do. I’d offer the “new” Charlotte jerseys as what not to do. 

I rebranded the Lakers a couple of weeks ago, especially the logo. The letters in logo and uniform are all calligraphy. My flakers friends enjoyed them and thought they were a "kewl" update(just a shameless self promotion here). I'd like to show my take but I have no idea how to upload. My guess, anyhow, is that the update wont be any thing drastic at all. 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

1 hour ago, Lee Noire said:

I’m a Clipper fan so I’m used to terrible uniforms, but I don’t see how these are so awful at all. All the fixes I’m reading basically bring back the Magic era unis and that isn’t going to happen, nor should it.

I like that different eras have different looks that represent them. I think the Lakers did what any look inspired by the past should do. I’d offer the “new” Charlotte jerseys as what not to do. 

All this.

Look, there's only so much you can do with a classic basketball look. You can't try anything particularly innovative, and you also can't stray too far from history. For a classic team, all you've got to work with is the number font and the trim. You're not getting too wacky with it.

For the Lakers, this is all you can really do to make something new. Otherwise you're staying put, or going straight up throwback. And really, I'm okay with going somewhere new like they did. With the Showtime uniforms, those are Magic's. Those are Kareem's. Had the Lakers never changed (and they didn't have to. It's still their best look.) and kept it through the Kobe/Shaq era, then those would be their uniforms to the end of time. But they did change for the Kobe/Shaq era, and those are modern classics of their own. As McCarthy said, they were an excellent update for a modern age.

And because the Lakers have changed, that leaves them open to change for another new era. And that's what this is. Yeah, the striping is a little off, but I still like it. It's clean. And I've already said I'm a fan of the yellow numbers on purple. This is a nice, simple look. In line with modern bold stylings, but still classic in feel.

I dig it. Can you dig it?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why are we bringing the Clippers into this?  Don't sully a thread debating a reasonably good if not excellent uniform update by invoking the worst NBA rebranding in history.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Why are we bringing the Clippers into this?  Don't sully a thread debating a reasonably good if not excellent uniform update by invoking the worst NBA rebranding in history.

For context.

I know terrible looks, and this is in no way a terrible look.

I’m still against the yellow numbers in the purple (I’m open to changing my opinion once I see a real photo of the jersey), but I’m okay with this entire set assuming the classic Lakers shorts stripe is still there. 

That’s been the only constant during our whole history in Los Angeles and we’d look way too plain without one. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

5 hours ago, skqll7 said:

Fair to say these new jerseys will be the worst the Lakers have ever worn and if they remove the stripped shorts it would not even be a debate. Amazing how they've managed to screw this up  

Funny, I think these are a huge upgrade from the current set. Better in literally every way. 

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Not a fan. They look like a counterfeit throwback that got the trim striping wrong.

The Shaq/Kobe era redesign was a modern reimagining of the classic uniform, a spiritual descendant of the Showtime Lakers uniforms. They were different, but not so different that they felt wrong for the franchise. Fixed a lot of the problems the 80's uniforms while keeping the whole vibe intact. I don't get that sense here. This feels like they put the Lakers wordmark and font on the wrong template. Yes, that striping makes that much of a difference. 

Totally, totally agree with you!! They updated their unis back then because they were moving into a new modern building and wanted something to match. You either stay with what you have or go back to the throwbacks (i.e. like the 49ers). I hate how people are saying the the showtime unis are back. THESE ARE NOT THE SHOWTIME UNIFORMS. 

As we can tell already these changes are so polarizing. I hope the Lakers know that.  

What I am disappointed with is that these jerseys seem to be the Knicks uniform, and not so much the, but almost like the Celtics. I’m perfectly fine with the vintage look, but like some have said, a few tweaks here and there and these could’ve been perfect. 

Hopefully side stripes on the shorts snd for the love of God, please stop wearing the Whites on anything other than Sunday at the Staples Center. 

This all could’ve been so much easier. Just bring back the Showtime unis straight up, put ‘em in the adidas template, make a white jersey, boom. Instant hit. 

spacer.png

Archived