What is the rarest color in sports?

Quillz

On 10/15/2018 at 7:55 AM, Quillz said:

How rare are green and orange? I feel like I've seen a lot of international teams using green. Even orange isn't as rare as I once thought.

mets, ducks, oliers, flyers, broncos, bc loins, ock thunders, astros  all organge 

for green. A's, stars, eagles, celtics, packers, Eskimos, london kinghts 

hvmY186.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, monkeypower said:

riley-stotts-calgary-hitmen.jpg

This is a throwback alternate and I'm of half a mind to want them to go to this full time.

I really don't know why they strayed away from pink and black. The team was named after a guy who wore pink and black so it stands to reason those should be the team colors for life.

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I really don't know why they strayed away from pink and black. The team was named after a guy who wore pink and black so it stands to reason those should be the team colors for life.

The switch was made for the 1998-99 season, the year after the Flames bought the team in June 1997 from the original ownership group which included Bret Hart, Theo Fleury and then-Hitmen coach and GM Graham James, who had resigned unexpectedly early in the 1996-97 season. If you know anything about James, you know why he resigned and subsequently a likely reason the team was sold to the Flames due to his connection to the ownership group. (If not, just google him)

The Hitmen Wikipedia page is full of dead links to old news articles, but it says there was talk of the Flames changing the name including potentially to the Jr. Flames (yikes), but instead they just changed the colours and the jerseys.

Joe Sakic was also part of the original ownership group so this is a picture that exists, though there a couple differences between these jerseys and the ones the team actually wore.

calh11nov29_hitmen.jpg

There's also a few pictures out there of Bret Hart wearing Hitmen jerseys while in the WWE (or whatever he was in at the time, I don't know really know wrestling).

There's also a fun story about the Hitmen and their original logo not being the one the team wore for their first year of existence, but that's probably for another thread,

IbjBaeE.png

Slightly off-topic, but - my son's baseball team in the BC Premier Baseball League wore purple, but in my opinion not enough. I campaigned for a purple hat but was rebuffed every time. The story their longtime coach used to tell was that most of the players really didn't like the uni's when they first came to the team, but by the time they finished the color was a staple. He said that if you could look in the drawers of all the former players you would likely find at least one pair of purple socks. In fact I still see those purple socks around on the diamonds of Vancouver Island from time-to-time in men's baseball, softball and slo-pitch leagues. I always ask the wearer if he had played for the Parksville Royals. The answer is always yes.

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2018 at 3:29 AM, Quillz said:

I was thinking purple, too. But you've got the Rockies, the Lakers, the Vikings, the Kings (for a time). It's rare, but still seen across many of the big leagues.

Purple seems pretty common to me. Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Rockies, Vikings, K State.

Pink is your likely winner. Brown is also pretty rare. 

In the Australian Football League, Green has been very rarely worn.  The Fremantle Dockers are the only club in the league that has ever used green as one of their colors. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

6 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

In the Australian Football League, Green has been very rarely worn.  The Fremantle Dockers are the only club in the league that has ever used green as one of their colors. 

Thank God they got rid of it. Purple-Red-Green can work, but not like this.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yea copper is an awesome underused color

But notice that it's primarily helmets.  Because we can get a metallic sheen on a hard plastic surface that mimics the actual metal.

Copper colored jerseys are just a poopy shade of brown. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, Ark said:

Is this the pinkest uniform ever?

9thDIiL.jpg

Because I love these.

I like the color scheme, but the collar and sleeve stripes seem too jam-packed to me.  Wish they were maybe just teal and white.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived