The "Anti-homer" thread

Timaa

Texans: Lose the red pants during Battle Red day. Blue helmet, red jersey, blue pants, red socks. Boom, that'd be a winner. Also, the secondary looks too much like the Dallas Star's secondary. It's bad enough the team name is connected to the Big D, we don't need another connection.

Astros: If the black could be replaced by the dark blue from the previous uniform set, I'd be pretty happy. Oh, and the pinstrips have to go.

Rockets: So many problems, but uniforms aren't one of them. Well, maybe the logo could be smaller on the shorts. They almost touch those nifty hoops.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I HATE the inverted colors version of the BYU helmet logo (Nike is the worst perpetrator of this). If they want to put the logo on a blue background, just do a white outline around the standard logo. I think the BYU Athletic Department should put something addressing this in their style guide, but the something about the inverted colors drives my eyes crazy.

BYU-Helmet2.jpgBYU-Helmet3.jpg

2. It drives me crazy that the Oval-Y BYU football helmet logo has supplanted pretty much all the other BYU logos. BYU has a great identity package, they should use it. Even in the golden era of BYU football in the 1980s, the BYU helmet logo was only on BYU footballs helmets. It was never used by other sports teams or on supporters' apparel--the Block-Y was the most identifiable logo that BYU used. Now the Oval-Y is everywhere, at the expense of the other logos.

I like these logos, but its rare to find them used on BYU apparel:

BYU1.jpgBYU2.jpgY.jpg

I salute the BYU baseball team for maintaining the use of the Block-Y (though in moderenized format):

1080777.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1. I HATE the inverted colors version of the BYU helmet logo (Nike is the worst perpetrator of this). If they want to put the logo on a blue background, just do a white outline around the standard logo. I think the BYU Athletic Department should put something addressing this in their style guide, but the something about the inverted colors drives my eyes crazy.

2. It drives me crazy that the Oval-Y BYU football helmet logo has supplanted pretty much all the other BYU logos. BYU has a great identity package, they should use it. Even in the golden era of BYU football in the 1980s, the BYU helmet logo was only on BYU footballs helmets. It was never used by other sports teams or on supporters' apparel--the Block-Y was the most identifiable logo that BYU used. Now the Oval-Y is everywhere, at the expense of the other logos.

I like these logos, but its rare to find them used on BYU apparel:

I salute the BYU baseball team for maintaining the use of the Block-Y (though in moderenized format):

they should use this logo

xdz9rzklowvctadrt4gul19wr.gif

Kings - I may be in the minority in liking the new black, silver and white, 3rd jersey, but, I also do really like the old shield logo. I mean, who can resist a lion wearing sunglasses? I have zero photoshop skills, but I'd love to see what it would look like to put the old shield logo, sans the purple, onto the new 3rd jersey. I think that might be a winner.

I'm no photoshop pro myself, but I whipped this up:

kings.png

The University of Cincinnati's basketball uniforms and football uniforms. The sets they had right before the ones they have now (for both sports) were perfect, although Adidas is to blame.. The football jersey is a too-often-used adidas template, the pants are a nice idea on paper, but on the field I'm already tired of them, and the basketball jerseys are just atrocious.

On the Bengals uniforms, the back/side panel striping is way too inconsistent throughout the whole team. It's almost different on every player.

For the Blue Jackets, that number font has to go.

Kings - I may be in the minority in liking the new black, silver and white, 3rd jersey, but, I also do really like the old shield logo. I mean, who can resist a lion wearing sunglasses? I have zero photoshop skills, but I'd love to see what it would look like to put the old shield logo, sans the purple, onto the new 3rd jersey. I think that might be a winner.

I'm no photoshop pro myself, but I whipped this up:

kings.png

I dig that a lot man, thanks!

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

Phillies - Nothing at all, I think the phillies uniforms are great just the way they are, even the number font.

76ers - Could've modernized the old logo instead of just using the exact same logo (and the 6 was thick in the 90s) well at least they are back to red white and blue

Flyers - its great the orange is the main, but now it has a different template than the white and black (which I like as a 3rd), if it wa sup me to just revert the uniforms back to what they wore in the late 90s, or make the orange the current template, OR the other 2 the template the orange uses.

Eagles - lose the black jersey, you cant see the green shadowing on the numbers when its on tv really, so its silly.

Rangers: Forget tradition, the jersey crest needs a logo, not script. The 1976-77 jerseys should be brought back in as primaries. Also, the Statue Of Liberty logo has faded from the mainstream too much. It deserves more use than just practice unis, even if it's just used as shoulder patches.

Yankees: Primary logo needs midnight blue, not royal blue, and much less red. Other than that, nothing wrong. Except maybe use spring training-like unis for alternates, and maybe names on the jerseys.

believew.jpg

Twins: Nameplates on pinstripes. The only team to use that cheap look.

Vikings: That stupid pants stripe feature. It always looks bad, particularly on the white jersey, which was meant for purple pants they rarely wear.

Wolves: Need to incorporate green into an otherwise great alt logo and into the wordmark/numbering.

Wild: Stop marginalizing your great logo by shrinking it into a faux-retro circle.

Wisconsin Football: no big problems.

Wisconsin Basketball: Don't change almost every year.

Wisconsin Hockey: get rid of the bland 1970s look, get the outlines back on the numbers and remove the laces.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS:

I'm really glad that the school finally has some continuity in its identity package. I was tired of the football team in navy and most of the other sports in royal blue. That said, the Trajan HAS to go. I know that KU won a national championship in the new basketball uniforms, which is pretty much like granting uniform-change immunity for years to come. No matter. Trajan sucks.

It's not just that it's overused. It's a weak typeface for uniform design. When KU went through this major redesign, I thought it missed a perfect opportunity to brand its lesser sports to fit the image of the men's basketball program. So, bring back the circus font and adapt the other sports' uniforms accordingly.

Oddly enough, the gray football pants don't bug me, despite gray not being a school color. I did like the all-white duds the Hawks broke out against Mizzou this year, though.

KANSAS CITY ROYALS:

They've made just about every uniform tweak I've hoped for through the years. Get rid of black: check. Add Kansas City script on roads: check. Add powder blue alts with white pants: check. The only thing that would make the powder blue uniforms better is a white Royals script outlined in royal to match the names and numbers.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS:

These are Lamar Hunt's uniforms. I wouldn't change a thing, even though most clamor for adding either black trim on the jerseys or yellow trim on the helmets. I don't like all of the merchandise that's available in black, though. More yellow, please.

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES:

Oye. Where to begin? I'll admit that the new uniforms grew on me a lot during the season. I like the simplified wordmark and the tree-trim better than I did when they were introduced. But the neckline and number typeface need to be toned down a bit, too. For the ultra-modern trim and typeface to work, other elements of the uniform need to stand out a bit less. I don't advocate for a block number font. Just something a little less 1998.

Indianapolis Colts - not much to say, i hated the grey facemask the first year but have come to love the throwback look. i dont mind the shoulder stripes, but would rather see them wrap all the under the arm like back in the day. would also love to see blue pants make a comeback and use it with both jerseys.

note the blue facemask here.

johnny_unitas.jpg

Dallas Cowboys - either go to the '95 playoff "star" unis or go with the sets from the 70s.

03b.jpg

Roger_Staubach_Photo1_mid.jpg

UCF Knights - my god where to start. it needs a whole makeover. whoever came up with that jersey concept should never be able to design anything again ever. the Pegasus logo is pretty cool, i think it would look great on a helmet. they just need to settle on an identity though, the logo has gone through more changes than i probally even know about. i say take notes from Purdue. gold helmet, black jersey, gold pants.

worst uniform ever

kevinsmithvsmemphis.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Blue Jackets - I agree with Fnz up there, the number font is awful. I didn't use to have a problem with it, actually I have previously defended it, but after working in the team store and having to heat press 200 numbers a day I grew an intense dislike for them. If you ever see Jackets' jerseys where the #'s seem like their off center or off-angled then it's because there is no straight edge on number 2, 6, 8, 9, or 0 and a very small one on 3. Also they have serifs on the bottom of the 2's and it appears that digit is raised higher than all of the other numbers or if you take it down to the straight bottom then it looks lower than all of the other numbers. Copperplate is like cliche beginner design to begin with and they chose this number font even after it looked awful on team Canada's Nagano jerseys. They're going after the Civil war theme hard these days, if you do a google search for civil war fonts there are probably 10 fonts unique to the civil war that would work better than copperplate. Other than the numbers, the rest of the uniform is straight perfect, both home and road they have a gorgeous set.

Reds - I'd like to see the road template applied to a white home uniform. The piping on their current uniform is way too common in the bigs these days.

Bengals - Where do I begin? We'll work top down here. The helmets have recently started not matching each other. Some players' first three stripes on their helmet are all smashed together while other players look like they're actually missing a stripe. The jerseys; the home and roads don't match. The road and alt use orange stripes on a black background. The number font is nearly illegible. The width of the side panels varies from player to player and the side panels themselves are just a bad idea, adding clutter to an already cluttered uniform. The cut of the jersey varies from player to player. The pants end in a Denver Broncos like stripe, but the stripe isn't big enough to house all of the tiger stripes it should so the new tiger stripes on the pants have become these abbreviated tiger triangles. They have orange socks which are intended to be worn with the black pants, but these only see the light of day when the team wears the orange jersey. Instead the roll out in black pants with black socks creating an unbalanced look no matter what jersey they are worn with. The only thing I can praise them on in the last 6 years is that they have finally stopped wearing the black pants with the orange jerseys.

Ohio State - Bring back the gray and black stripes and giant shoulder numbers from the 90's!

PvO6ZWJ.png

Rams - Ditch the old gold! It's a color used appropriately by your biggest rival, the 49ers. Changing to that was a slap in the face to all of your old time fans who hate the Niners with a passion. While you're at it, get the royal blue back as well.

Cubs - Not much wrong here. Do something with the alternate blue jersey and the logo that goes with it.

Iowa Hawkeyes - Time to head away from the Steelers design. Change NOTHING about the helmet, but the jersey and pants can change to something more original.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

03b.jpg

Never understood the facination with this butt ugly look.

I was a little kid when they wore those, but I loved them. Looking at them now, I can't help but to like them a bit, but they are kind of... gaudy.

It drives me crazy that the Oval-Y BYU football helmet logo has supplanted pretty much all the other BYU logos. BYU has a great identity package, they should use it. Even in the golden era of BYU football in the 1980s, the BYU helmet logo was only on BYU footballs helmets. It was never used by other sports teams or on supporters' apparel--the Block-Y was the most identifiable logo that BYU used. Now the Oval-Y is everywhere, at the expense of the other logos.

I can understand why they're emphasizing the oval Y. It's something that I... as someone with no connections to BYU or any kind of familiarity with the part of the country it's in... can look at and immediately identify as Brigham Young University. If someone were to show me the block Y before today, I'm not sure I could have identified what school it belonged to... and I'm someone with over 1,000 posts at a message board dedicated to sports logos. How much value do you think it has with casual sports fans?

03b.jpg

Never understood the facination with this butt ugly look.

I was a little kid when they wore those, but I loved them. Looking at them now, I can't help but to like them a bit, but they are kind of... gaudy.

Is it wrong that I STILL love that look???

Shoot..I wouldn't mind myself if some version of that made a return in the Cowboys' future. At least we'd get to see the actual silver silver pants more often than maybe once or twice every two seasons.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived