FIFA-style sponsorships in NBA jerseys?

dbadefense1990

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the league really hurting for money so much that it needs to do this? There's a very specific reason why soccer jerseys have ads and that reason doesn't exist in the NBA.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I know it did not really hurt soccer jersey sales, but this would hurt NBA jersey sales. People in low income neighbor-hoods will not use what little money they have to be a bill board for Mcdonalds.

Really?

mcdonalds-car.jpg

wonka.jpg

These can be found in a 'hood near you, and are a bit more expensive than a jersey. LOL ^_^.

That being said I REALLY don't want this to happen, but if it does, life will go on.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

I just don't see this happening. This is the one league in the Big 4 that doesn't even allow the manufacturer logo on the jerseys.

That wasn't always the case. And adidas' branding can be found literally everywhere except the actual uniforms.

As far as the original question... such sponsorship would only further confirm what an over-commercialized joke the NBA has become, and as such, I fully expect it to happen. In fact, I think it would speak volumes that despite selling out the integrity of its sport as often as it does, the NBA still needs to resort to tactics that niche leagues like MLS and NASCAR use. As if Milwaukee needs Miller to plaster its ugly logo for its chemical piss-water (and piss-water Lite) on yet another one of our local teams' jerseys.

/soapbox

...and with that, the uniform nerd in me is actually quite curious to see how these would look.

...and with that, the uniform nerd in me is actually quite curious to see how these would look.

all_wnba_final_650_story_100913.jpg

Also, why did Snooki pop up when I searched "WNBA jersey ads"?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I hope this never happens. One of my biggest gripes with professional soccer is the whoring of the uniforms to sponsors. I hate to sound like one of "those guys", but a professional sports franchise's uniforms (especially based in North America) should pretty much be sacred.

dc-united-2012-jerseys.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the modern NBA, but I would hate for this to happen to any NBA team. Hell, I hate that it's already happened to the WNBA.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I think the Erie Bayhawks were the first NBA D-League team to use sponsors. Not sure if they are the only ones?

ERI-kennedy030312.jpg

I think it's okay for minor leagues, but NBA? No thanks. They should add the adidas logo on the uniforms but other than that keep them clean!

I hope this never happens. One of my biggest gripes with professional soccer is the whoring of the uniforms to sponsors. I hate to sound like one of "those guys", but a professional sports franchise's uniforms (especially based in North America) should pretty much be sacred.

dc-united-2012-jerseys.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the modern NBA, but I would hate for this to happen to any NBA team. Hell, I hate that it's already happened to the WNBA.

Soccer clubs have to sell their shirts though, as they don't profit from advertisements during the game since the game does not stop.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't know that it will happen this time, but it will happen to all four sports. There's no question. These four sports are the only professional sports in the world, I think, to not have large advertisers plastered to the uniforms.

We're going to have to accept it some day. I hope it's not now. I hope we can hold out. But it will happen.

Look at this boar. Whenever this topic comes up, I bet a third of us are OK with it. Average fans? Pfft. They'll grumble after the announcement, but will they actually stop watching? I don't think so.

And obviously MLB, NFL and NHL will be watching...and hoping it happens.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm not sure if it's inevitable. Remember the backlash MLB received when they planned on plastering Spider Man 2 logos all over the bases and on-deck circles?

I don't know that it will happen this time, but it will happen to all four sports. There's no question. These four sports are the only professional sports in the world, I think, to not have large advertisers plastered to the uniforms.

We're going to have to accept it some day. I hope it's not now. I hope we can hold out. But it will happen.

Look at this boar. Whenever this topic comes up, I bet a third of us are OK with it. Average fans? Pfft. They'll grumble after the announcement, but will they actually stop watching? I don't think so.

There will be the poster here who will proclaim that tradition has been lost, but in reality, it never existed.

What may occur may be similar to the sponsorship issues with stadium rights or those within MLS. Either it is a company who never had the capital (PSINet, CGMI, Power Balance, Movie Gallery) or a somewhat corporate name with a poor ill-will (Xanga, Amway, Herbalife) or they will have a season or two before being bought out and the parent company pulling out of the contract. That is what both ownership and the league has to be concerned about.

A Fortune 500 company may either already have a partnership with the NBA, so they will be out (as well as their competition), or will have to extend themselves. It is more likely about to end up like being a mid to large locally-based company who is looking to get national advertising but paying a local price plus a bit extra based on national ratings.

I'm not sure if it's inevitable. Remember the backlash MLB received when they planned on plastering Spider Man 2 logos all over the bases and on-deck circles?

That's because baseball fans think the integrity of the game is somewhat important.

couple of examples from the australian NBL

Zac+Delaney+NBL+Rd+7+Hawks+v+Kings+uMLL8vyxH3sl.jpg

BasketBall-NBL%20GF%203%20P%20v%20W%202-1268470711.jpg

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Archived