2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston's new hats are sweet, but I think the jersey is awful. Near the bottom of the entire MLB for me.

Pretty much. Those hats are really really attractive looking hats. They knocked the caps out of the park. The rest of the uniform from the ears down is a disappointment. The sleeve patch looks red.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Astros is not a futuristic name. It means stars. There are stars in the present, there are stars in the past. Everybody's disillusioned by the supposed and falsely classified "futuristic" name. They look more like the original Astros. The only good thing about the previous set was the open star logo, but it and the H-Star logo are kind of on par with each other, an either/or situation. But I like what they did. An updated shooting star would've been nice, but the outcome was still a great look. People seem to have an idea of what they wanted them to do and anything other than that was gonna be a failure. Not how it works. They didn't have that untouchable aspect like the Yankees pinstripes, birds on the bat or Dodgers red numbers. So they went with something that still harkens back to the classic days, even if not a direct updated version of it. Home and road caps need to be switched as each works best with the other jersey. Honestly they could go with the all navy full-time and it'd be fine.

Overall, it's a definite upgrade and most importantly, they look like the Astros again.

Astros is not a futuristic name. It means stars. There are stars in the present, there are stars in the past. Everybody's disillusioned by the supposed and falsely classified "futuristic" name.

Sorry, but "Astros" calls to mind astronauts, NASA, spaceships, etc. which have futuristic connotations. If anyone can get away with a more progressive uniform design in the MLB, it's them. This is just bland, overconservative, and middle-of-the-road, like 90% of all recent MLB redesigns.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

As a lifelong Astros fan I can't tell you how much I love not having to see those terrible pinstripe jerseys anymore. Sure these aren't special, you can call them boring, but they are not bad looking at all. And I'm so happy we went this direction and can tell everyone's embracing the blue and orange. The caps are great too, got an all navy for Christmas!

Astros is not a futuristic name. It means stars. There are stars in the present, there are stars in the past. Everybody's disillusioned by the supposed and falsely classified "futuristic" name.

Sorry, but "Astros" calls to mind astronauts, NASA, spaceships, etc. which have futuristic connotations. If anyone can get away with a more progressive uniform design in the MLB, it's them. This is just bland, overconservative, and middle-of-the-road, like 90% of all recent MLB redesigns.

When did the space program begin? Way in the future? No. Just because it personally brings up "futuristic" to you does not mean it has to for them. They have a classic ballpark and a classic name, relevant to the early days of the space program. You're trying to pass off your opinions as facts by pigeonholing them into what they have to look like.

the spacing looked off between the A and the S. also, the orange outline almost didnt feel thick enough, and the NOB font was not appealing to me. I feel like the Blue crown/Orange bill hat would fit better with the home, and would cause the orange to standout better, while the blue hat for the road uniforms would look better. establishing a orange at home, blue on road identity would be pretty interesting.

God these Astros jerseys are so plain- they have no redeeming quality about them.

How can people praise these but hate the Marlins. The only thing in the Astros identity I like is the cap logo and the caps.

Have we forgotten these are baseball jerseys we're talking about? Less is more. Can anyone name a flashy memorable baseball jersey (70's nostalgia notwithstanding)?

The Astros didn't have to go futuristic to have character. But they did neither.

The Astros uniforms are fine. They're non-offensive. In some ways, they look good.

But aside from a mediocrely executed cap logo and the color scheme, they call to mind nothing about the team's name, city, or history.

I can't even begin to get excited about these.

God these Astros jerseys are so plain- they have no redeeming quality about them.

How can people praise these but hate the Marlins. The only thing in the Astros identity I like is the cap logo and the caps.

Have we forgotten these are baseball jerseys we're talking about? Less is more. Can anyone name a flashy memorable baseball jersey (70's nostalgia notwithstanding)?

I don't think people are requesting flashy. But more still can be done.

The Cardinals have a giant logo on the front of their jersey and have for almost a century. The Braves do something similar. The Marlins do multiple colors and a lively font well.

Plenty of others do it on a smaller scale with hats or logos or both. I wish it was more.

Anybody else notice how thin the Astros' jerseys were? I could see right through Justin Maxwell's jersey and could tell what kind of undershirt he was wearing.

That's a common problem with the Cool-Base jerseys.

I had never noticed it as much as tonight. Maybe because I was really looking closely at the jerseys.

I think we were all too hyped on Houston's new look, especially how disappointing the new wordmark is in action.

If only the Astros had more color on their home unis, like their 1980s orange and star set:

houston-astros.jpg

Could have just done something like this...

Astros2_zps7dcddef9.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Sharp. That's how I describe these 'Stros unis. They look like baseball uniforms. The team looks sharp. Good uniform.

This is pretty much how I see them, too. Are they extraordinarily unique? Absolutely not, but I can't say anything bad about the way they look.

Exactly. I would have preferred something based on these...

7143823017_d6a8951bf1_o.jpg

But what they came up with isn't bad at all. It looks really good and it's a huge upgrade from their "old west" uniforms. I don't think anyone will argue that the new look is an instant classic, but the new uniforms are nowhere near the disaster some people are making them out to be. The whole "they should have gone futuristic" argument is silly. No one seems to mind that the Tigers don't look like baseball's version of a Bengals helmet, but God forbid the Astros don't have flashing LEDs in their hats and rocket flames for stripes.

How can people praise these but hate the Marlins.

It's not an either or situation. I happen to really like both the Marlins and Astros looks.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived