2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always disliked the navy hat for the Cardinals. For some reason, it made their uniform look drab to be. Far more drab than the previous Red Sox road set, which was more-or-less the same set-up. However, in the NLCS last year, I found myself liking the navy caps for the first time as I thought it might be the last time I see that look. Well, finally seeing the red hat on the road yesterday, I didn't like it. For some reason, it looked really washed-out to me, like the navy on the uniform dissapeared from a distance. Maybe I will get used to it and like the road red look in the end.

Basically, I don't know what I like. I do know that the St. Louis wordmark is great, and should be on the road set next year, the BoB hat is dumb and should be sent to the depths of hell (particularly if they refuse to buy matching helmets), and whatever the Cardinals decide on the road, they need to make it final and not switch back and forth depending on the game or opponent. They need to present a consistent look on the road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Cardinals best road look is with red caps. Blue serves zero purpose and honestly looks stupid woth all the red on their uniforms

Completely wrong. The navy cap has a longer history than the red one and as I mentioned before is no different than the Red Sox wearing navy caps with their homes or previous roads.

And the red doesn't pop against the gray at all. The exact opposite. The red with the home whites, now the red really pops there, but the gray jerseys makes the red appear more full.

The Cardinals best road look is with red caps. Blue serves zero purpose and honestly looks stupid woth all the red on their uniforms

Completely wrong. The navy cap has a longer history than the red one and as I mentioned before is no different than the Red Sox wearing navy caps with their homes or previous roads.

And the red doesn't pop against the gray at all. The exact opposite. The red with the home whites, now the red really pops there, but the gray jerseys makes the red appear more full.

I agree with that 100 percent it looked very washed out to me too. I turned the game on last night hoping, praying the Cardinals would be wearing navy caps per the results of the fan vote and personal preference. However I was hugely disappointed in the Cardinals for disregarding the vote because the results obviously were not the results they expected. On top of all that, they now look like the reds on the road. With the recent history between the two teams, one would think the Cardinals would not want to resemble their biggest rivals in the division. Just really disappointed in the Cardinals today

The Rockies are supposedly going to wear throwbacks on April 16 against the Mets (who the Rockies' very first game was against).

They have throwbacks?

All they gotta do is remove the front numeral and the back nameplate and BOOM.........'93 throwback!

:rolleyes: cant wait to see those lol

True2OB.png

stlcap.jpg

compromise?!?

Oh, and this: not bad it hearkens back to the Stan Musial era which I like, but it should be a road cap, not home.

the real problem is that there are too many damn teams with the navy & red scheme that have decided to have all possible hat combinations (home/away/alt/bp) at the same time...it's nearly impossible to tell who's a primarily red team, primarily navy, navy w/red bill etc.

they've all become relatively indistinguishable save the red sox and cardinals.

The Rockies are supposedly going to wear throwbacks on April 16 against the Mets (who the Rockies' very first game was against).

They have throwbacks?

All they gotta do is remove the front numeral and the back nameplate and BOOM.........'93 throwback!

They should just make a fauxback. Removing the front number and nameplate will go universally unnoticed.

90758391980.gif

Unpopular opinion alert: I like the red Cards hats. I don't get why everyone wants the blue back.

I agree. The navy road gear always looked out-of-place.

Same here. I'm late to the party on this, but for the reasons others have stated, the navy cap with the predominately red lettering on the uniform was badly mismatched. i will never get the love for the navy caps, unless it is the nostalgia.

Throwbacks? They really haven't changed much in 20 years.

This should be interesting.

Throwbacks? They really haven't changed much in 20 years.

This should be interesting.

The more interesting thing would be if the Mets wore 1993 throwbacks which I believe would be from the era when their script grew a tail

mets.png

They have throwbacks?

They should just make a fauxback. Removing the front number and nameplate will go universally unnoticed.

Yeah pretty much. The only differences are their old road jerseys say "Rockies" instead of "Colorado" and their old white jerseys don't have names or numbers on the front. Maybe they'll wear their old black jerseys.

8ysghr7k6ka2uhly2toe7gkwg.gif

I would like to have seen the Astros do a variation of this:

nl_1973_houston.gif

If they had to include a navy version, then they could have worn the ROAD half of this set on the road and kept the orange version for home games:

nl_1970_houston.gif

Or they could've gone all out and done all four of the above, switching them out both home and road.

Bottom line is I would have preferred that the emphasis had been on the orange rather than the navy, and I'm not a fan of the two-tone caps.

What's the best way to wash a COOLBASE authentic?

I throw mine in a washer by itself on cold (don't know if that matters, just a precaution) then I hang dry it.

No problems with the embroidery getting ripped? Would two in a washer be okay?

I wash mine in cold water and use regular detergent. Just don't use bleach.

I wash mine inside-out with cold water with regular detergent and never use fabric softener...sometimes it can leave stains.

Bottom line is I would have preferred that the emphasis had been on the orange rather than the navy, and I'm not a fan of the two-tone caps.

I like two-tone caps in some situations, but they are wrong for the Astros with this look and considering they have never worn a two-tone outside of the gold-billed '90s alt. I love the clean look of the navy numbers with orange outlines (though I hate the font), but agree that they probably should have emphasized orange more. That being said, they should have gone with orange characters outlined in navy. Just as we see with the Cardinals/Red Sox/Twins/Braves/Nationals who all have navy hats with red numbers, or the Orioles who have black caps with orange numbers, you can go with numbers lighter than the caps. However, you can't go with a cap lighter than the numbers. The Astros' current orange cap sticks out like a sore thumb against the navy numbers. If they went with orange numbers, they could have worn either orange or navy caps.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Didn't Musial only wear the navy?

I say go all navy all year- home and road as a tribute.

Musial wore the navy crown, red STL, red bill for the first chunk of his career, and the current navy caps for the rest. Never red. (Though a mysterious picture exists. Spring Training or something maybe.)

Wow you people are nuts. The blue road hat was one of the best hats in baseball and there's nothing superior about the red caps on the road.

So much for that vote they had last week. I guess they just decided to ignore the results.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived