2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

I'm one of the few (apparently) who LOVED the change to full-time red caps for the Cardinals.

Nope, you're far from alone.

I don't think the Cards should use a second cap any more than the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants or the like.

When your cap is that good, you should wear it for every game.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bring this back in some capacity Boston!

fred-lynn.jpg

i think it would look great at home. no team in the ALE wears red

Yep, I'd love to bring these caps back as an occasional alternate, like they did briefly in... 1997 was it? Would be nice to have an alt with historical precedent, and light years better than the stupid hanging sox cap. Surprised they haven't brought this one back in recent years, actually, but then again they've had a bizarre fascination with navy trim since 09, ugly as it's been. Glad I've at least got this cap as a 5950.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

fred-lynn.jpg

Yep, I'd love to bring these caps back as an occasional alternate, like they did briefly in... 1997 was it? Would be nice to have an alt with historical precedent, and light years better than the stupid hanging sox cap. Surprised they haven't brought this one back in recent years, actually, but then again they've had a bizarre fascination with navy trim since 09, ugly as it's been. Glad I've at least got this cap as a 5950.

I think it just makes the red wordmark 'pop' much better than the navy does. Even just using it as an alt cap with the home jersey like the Cardinals did with the bird on the bat cap.

mets.png

I'm one of the few (apparently) who LOVED the change to full-time red caps for the Cardinals.

I don't think the Cards should use a second cap any more than the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants or the like.

Those teams don't have a secondary color that would work as another cap and only the Giants even have another color that'd work as a brim color. Plus if you're going to go the tradition route, the navy would be the choice as its history per-dates and exceeds that of the red cap. Now, I never wanna see the red go away from the home so that's why the navy works so well as the road cap.

And oh yeah, it's extremely popular amongst the fanbase and it does work with the road uniforms

If I remember correctly the cards started this alternate mess in the early nineties. At the time, it had been years since a team had multiple hats, with exception of the tigers white d/ orange d(same cap color, I don't count it). It quickly caught on again. I kinda like the idea of st.louis going back to one hat.

So I'll guess we'll have to wait until one of the teams with two helmets goes back home or on the road before we know if this helmet rule is true or not. God I hope not.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm always flabbergasted when I see these RedSox pullovers from 70's. I wonder if these were a hit with fans back in the day?

fred-lynn.jpg

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

If I remember correctly the cards started this alternate mess in the early nineties. At the time, it had been years since a team had multiple hats, with exception of the tigers white d/ orange d(same cap color, I don't count it). It quickly caught on again. I kinda like the idea of st.louis going back to one hat.

The Cardinals brought back the 2-cap look in 1992, the same season they ditched pullovers and the uniform striping. Happened to be celebrating their 100th anniversary (they start their official history with the start of the NL, despite being in existence 10 years prior).

They also wore those 2 hats when they transitioned from navy to red in 1964. Alternate, however, is a bad term for it. It's home and road, neither was an alternate cap. (The Cardinals did introduce a Sunday alternate cap in 1997 and still have it.)

However, the Cardinals wore ONLY the navy caps from 1956-1963 (and as I mentioned, wore it on the road in 1964).

They wore the navy crown with red bill caps from 1940-55.

And actually, a closer inspection—but it could be a mistake—shows that the Cardinals actually wore the navy crown/red bill at home and the all navy cap in 1951 & 1952.

Diamondbacks are giving out this hat on May 27th. It looks a lot like the hat from 2010 - could this be this years Stars and Stripes? We know the camo is only for memorial day, so I'd have to assume this is a possibility.

bud_hat.jpg

Anubis.png

Also two notes. Apparently there is some sort of clarification on the Cardinals road hat situation. It was published in one of the print editions of the Post-Dispatch today, but since nobody has those, nobody knows what it said. It did not make it online.

The Cardinals beat writer said he'll get it up when he gets a minute tonight. So we eagerly await that.

Also, the same beat writer (arguing against the notion that the Cardinals had already made up their minds and rigged the voting), said earlier that the Cardinals ordered all new navy batting helmets this year.

So I don't believe the rule being discusses is accurate. Perhaps something else was meant and it was worded poorly.

fred-lynn.jpg

The 1997 alternates had a white "B" with navy outline instead of the navy "B" with white outline pictured above. They also wore a white alternate cap for one game in 1997.

In 1974, the Red Sox experimented with a navy cap with a red front panel. They even depicted their players wearing it on the cover of their 1975 yearbook. They actually wore the red crown caps for the first time in 1975 and did so through 1978. I guess the Bucky Dent one-game playoff game was the last time they wore them as a primary cap.

5983156378_cc6890846b_b.jpg

Watching the Cardinals game tonight. The announcers answered a twitter question regarding the road hats by saying that the navy caps will still be used. They didn't offer any specifics, however, beyond that they would "mix and match."

Has it been mentioned in this ginormous thread that MLB isn't allowing more than one style batting helmet this year (or am I reading this wrong)?

From the Cleveland Indians, via Hardballtalk.com http://hardballtalk....ahoo-continues/

Nothing is changing on our 2013 uniforms except for the batting helmets. By MLB rule – with the new helmets being universally adopted – teams were only allowed one logo and not a different helmet for home and road.

For those that didn't click the link, that story was about the Indians supposedly phasing out Chief Wahoo. I was reading that story yesterday as well, and instantly became curious. What is the prevailing opinion here about Chief Wahoo? Unlike Craig from HBT, who seems to be perpetually offended, I'm happy that the Indians aren't phasing him out. Even though I'm a raging "liberal", I think that's one of the best logos in baseball.

I call BS on this one. I feel that there would have been word spread about it much earlier (as in before last season even began) before it was put into effect. Otherwise, why would the Marlins have made those orange helmets (rarely used though they are) for their new set?

Besides, how do you explain the Tigers, Orioles, Nats, and Braves who still have their distinct home/road batting helmets?

Pictures from the Orioles in spring training showed them w/ the road helmet with home uniforms. Not saying there is a new rule about this, but I did notice and find it strange when I saw it. I was actually hoping they ditched the white panel for the home and were going w/ black crown and orange brim, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Pictures from the Orioles in spring training showed them w/ the road helmet with home uniforms. Not saying there is a new rule about this, but I did notice and find it strange when I saw it. I was actually hoping they ditched the white panel for the home and were going w/ black crown and orange brim, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Lots of teams only take one set of batting helmets to spring training, since most teams wear BP unis anyway and obviously aren't trying to look their best. Before this year, the Cardinals always wore red caps and helmets all spring. It would make sense for the Orioles to choose the black helmets because 1) the white crown looks like hell with the road set, and 2) they would presumably require less cleaning.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Lukas said this morning that he is trying to get clarification from MLB on the helmet situation.

And someone in the comments noted that the Tigers wore the orange-D helmets in MIN, so unless they are going with that fulltime, the "new rule" might be more of a "suggestion". Kind of like the clashing-alternate rule.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Here's the small update on the Cardinals road hats from Post-Dispatch beat writer Derrick Goold.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-notebook-matheny-cautious-with-freese/article_c857f5e9-dcb0-5aee-a327-7f60ad42c503.html

The Cardinals will continue to wear red hats for the entirety of this road trip as the team’s executives determine what to do with the blue hats, which haven’t been entirely retired and were the fans’ choice in an online poll. Coming from spring training, where they only wear red in games, the team had only red caps and red helmets packed.

This is a good news, bad news situation.

The good is that the Cardinals wearing red this week is a matter of logistics, and not a sign of the final decision. They only had red hats and helmets with them in the spring and only recently decided they'd reconsider their system (originally they announced red would be primary roads), so it would have been tough to get the hats and helmets to the west coast in time. So navy is still very much on the table.

The bad news is that they know navy won the fan vote, they still haven't address that vote (or the many mistakes going on with it), and they're still trying to figure out what to do on the road. If they know navy is preferred by fans, and they told fans they were choosing, what is there to decide?

Did the American League and National League logos get updated?

I guess when the Cubs wear their alternate uniforms we'll have some idea.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived